Medical Courses: Ever since the rapid development in scientific research of human anatomy, the profession in medical science has become one of the best industries in India. In India, students are offered medical courses in various fields and specialized branches such as the medical field, biomedical sciences, pharmaceuticals, nursing sciences, health, nutrition, and fitness. A student practicing medicine in India needs to follow the Hippocratic Oath.
The Hippocratic Oath is one of the oldest Greek texts of medical ethics which is followed by physicians, medical practitioners, and teachers all over the world. This oath binds the rationed of medicine and science, to be honest, and transparent in all aspects of medical responsibilities and teaching. In India, students holding a degree in health and medical sciences get job opportunities in private as well as government hospitals, laboratories, and pharmaceutical research teams.
- List of Medical Courses
- Medical Courses Overview
- Medical Courses Eligibility Criteria
- Medical Courses Benefits
- Types of Medical Courses
- Medical Courses Admission Process
- MBBS Scope, Job Opportunities and Salaries
- Which are the top MBBS colleges in India?
- What are the minimum fees for medical colleges?
- What are the higher education options after MBBS?
- Are there any other criteria that one needs to Fulfil for admission to MBBS?
List of Medical Courses
Candidates who want to pursue their career in Medical Field can have a look at the following specializations. Go through the quick links available and choose the specialization as per your interest. All you need to do is just tap on the links available below and know the complete details. Get to know about Eligibility Criteria, Admission Procedure, Fee Structure for each of the course and join accordingly.
- Medical Courses
- Medical Transcription Course Details
- BUMS Course
- BASLP Course
- Medical Coding Course Details
- Nursing Courses
- MBBS Course Details
- BAMS Course Details
- Biotechnology Courses
- Physiotherapy Courses
- Paramedical Courses
- Psychology Courses
- BMS Course Details
- BPT Course Details
- Cosmetology Courses
- List of AIIMS Colleges in India
- Nutrition & Dietetics Course
- Nursing Courses After 12th Arts, Science, Commerce
- Dialysis Technician Course
- Radiology Courses
- How to become A Doctor in India
- How to become an Eye Doctor in India
- How to become a Biologist in India
- How to become a Marine Biologist in India
- How to Become Microbiologist in India
- How to become a Biomedical Engineer in India
- How to become a Biotechnologist in India
- How to Become a Cardiologist in India
- How to become A Cosmetologist in India
- How to become A Cosmologist in India
- How to become a Chiropractor in India
- How to become A Dentist in India
- How to become A Dermatologist in India
- How to become an Orthopedic Surgeon in India
- How to Become A Nutritionist in India
- How to become A Pathologist in India
- How to become A Pediatrician in India
- How to become A Physicist in India
- How to become A Physiotherapist in India
- How to become a Plastic Surgeon in India
- How to become A Psychiatrist in India
- How to become A Psychologist in India
- How to become A Radiologist in India
- How to become A Surgeon in India
- How to become a Veterinary Doctor in India
- How to become A Virologist in India
- How to become A Therapist in India
- How to become An Astrophysicist in India
- How to become A Neuropsychologist in India
- How to become A Neurosurgeon in India
- How to become An Oncologist in India
- How to become an Anesthesiologist in India
- How to become an Ayurvedic Doctor in India
- How to become A Gynecologist in India
- How to become a Homeopathic Doctor in India
- Medical Courses After 12th
- Short Term Courses In Medical Field
- Medical Courses other than Mbbs
- Medical Courses after Bsc
- Medical Technologist Courses
- Medical Diploma Courses After 12th
- Food and Nutrition Diploma Course
- Medical Courses after 10th
- 6 month Medical Courses After 12th
- Bio Medical Science Courses
- Free Online Medical Courses with Certificates in India by Government
- Courses for Medical Assistants
- Medical Writing Courses
- Medical Line Courses
- Pre Medical Courses
- Medical Cosmetology Courses In India
- PG Courses in Medical
- Diploma Courses After 10th in Medical Field
- Best Medical Courses After 12th
- Bsc Medical Courses
- Medical Courses in Canada After 12th
- IGNOU Medical Courses
- NIOS Medical Courses List
- Medical Courses Without NEET
- Para Medical Courses
- Nursing Courses after 12th Science
- Medical Courses After 12th Without NEET
- Medical Field Courses
- Medical Courses After B Sc Chemistry
Medical Courses Overview
The most basic medical course available to students in India is Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) which is a 5.5-year undergraduate medical degree course with a study period of 4.5 years and 1 year of compulsory internship in any of the various fields of medicine.
This course is offered to students who have successfully completed their 10+2 education in the subjects of science with a minimum score of 50% and have cleared the national entrance exam for studying medicine as a profession i.e. National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). Taking this exam enables a student to either become a doctor or a dentist.
Medical courses are broadly classified into two categories:
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery)
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
The study period of an MBBS degree is divided into 9 semesters. During these semesters the students are taught various subjects like anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, forensic medicine and toxicology, pediatrics, etc.
Medical Courses Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for an MBBS degree is as follows:
- The student must have completed his/her 10+2 level of education with Chemistry, Biology and Physics as compulsory subjects.
- The minimum score required by the student of the general category is 50% and 40% for a student belonging to the reserved category to appear for the corresponding entrance exam and pursue the course.
- The minimum age to apply for the course is 17 years.
- The maximum age to apply for the course is 25 years.
- The applicant must have also compulsorily cracked the entrance exam for pursuing the course further i.e. NEET.
- All applicants must also fulfill the additional eligibility conditions laid out for MBBS by the regulatory authorities i.e. Medical Council of India.
Medical Courses Benefits
There are a lot of benefits, both material and immaterial in pursuing a career in the field of medical science. Some of the primary benefits are:
- Job security
- Financial stability
- Doctors as a group are highly respected in India.
- A profession in the medical field is extremely rewarding.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details in Streamwise, and Category wise.
Types of Medical Courses
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery)
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
- BHMS (Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery)
- BAMS (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery)
- DHMS (Diploma in Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery)
- BUMS (Bachelor in Unani Medicine)
- B.V.Sc & AH (Bachelor of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry)
- B.Pharma (Bachelor of Pharmacy)
- D. Pharma (Diploma of Pharmacy)
- BOT (Bachelor of Occupational Therapy)
- BMLT (Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology)
- BPT (Bachelor of Physiotherapy)
- B.Sc. Nursing (Bachelor of Science in Nursing)
- BNYS (Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences
Medical Courses Admission Process
In order to get admission in a private or government institute to pursue MBBS, a candidate must clear the NEET Examination conducted by the NTA (National Test Agency).
- Candidates need to register for the NEET examination by logging into the web portal and providing the necessary personal details.
- Once the candidate has registered, he/she needs to fill out the application form by providing personal and academic details. Once the details have been filled in, the candidate needs to provide scans of all the necessary documents.
- After filling out the form, the candidate needs to pay the NEET application fee.
- After the successful payment of the application fee, the candidate needs to download the confirmation page and take a printout of the application along with the confirmation page.
- According to the details filled by the applicant, an admit card will be issued which the candidate needs to download and take a printout in order to appear for the NEET Exam.
- Once the candidate appears for the NEET exam and clears it, he/she will be eligible for admission in either a government or private institute.
- After the exam is conducted the counseling takes place wherein the candidate can choose a college of their choice from the list of allotted colleges on the basis of the marks secured in the entrance exam.
- Once the candidate has chosen the college, he/she needs to physically verify the required documents and finalize the admission.
MBBS Scope, Job Opportunities and Salaries
An MBBS degree in itself enables you to secure a good job in the health and medicine sector. Alternatively, students also sometimes prefer to get a master’s degree or a degree in specialization after completing their course of MBBS.
One can grab a job in any private or government hospital after completing an MBBS course. Employment areas of MBBS include nursing homes, hospitals, laboratories, colleges, health centers, personal clinics, biotechnology companies and pharmaceutical companies. The starting salary of an MBBS graduate ranges from 2.5 LPA to 6 LPA.
FAQ’s on Medical Courses
Which are the top MBBS colleges in India?
Answer: The top five medical colleges in India are AIIMS, Armed Forces Medical College, Christian Medical College, JIPMER, and St. John’s Medical College.
What are the minimum fees for medical colleges?
Answer: Fees for MBBS ranges from anywhere between INR. 25,000- INR 3.5 lakhs annually.
What are the higher education options after MBBS?
Answer: After obtaining a degree in MBBS one can go for a degree in MD or MS in different branches and specializations.
Are there any other criteria that one needs to Fulfil for admission to MBBS?
Answer: Yes, one needs to clear the additional guidelines issued by MCI (Medical Council of India).