Bio Medical Science Courses: Are you intrigued by the invention of the machine that 3D prints a human liver, medicines that cure cancer, and other wonderful inventions in the field of medicine? Do you also want to be a part of the team that creates such miracles? If yes biomedical science is the career field that you might be interested in.
Keep reading the article to know more about how you can pursue biomedical science studies. The following guide contains all the information that you will require to know about all levels of biomedical science courses. So let’s get started!
- About Biomedical Science Courses in India
- Different Courses in Biomedical Science
- Bio Medical Courses Eligibility Criteria
- Skills Required to Become a Biomedical Science Professional
- Admission Process for UG & PG Biomedical Science Courses
- Top Biomedical Science Colleges in India
- Biomedical Science Course Fees in India
- Biomedical Science Syllabus PDF | Important Bio Medical Science Subjects
- What is the Biomedical Science Scope?
- Job Opportunities After Bio Medical Science Courses
- Top Recruiters That Offer Jobs for Biomedical Science Professionals
- Biomedical Science Salary in India
- FAQs on B.Sc Biomedical Science Courses in India
Biomedical science is a field of study that focuses on the application of subjects such as chemistry and biology in the field of health care to advance the field in terms of technology and solutions to healthcare problems. The main area of focus in biomedical science studies is research work.
The candidates who choose to study the biomedical science field can choose the topic that they are interested in and continue to do the research work on that topic contributing to the healthcare industry. They can be a part of medical advancements that can change or redefine a lot of solutions regarding medical issues.
The main areas of specialty of biomedical sciences are physiological sciences, life sciences, and bioengineering. A lot of research and laboratory work involves during and after the biomedical sciences. This field can prove to be a really good career for those who are determined in their thought of helping mankind reach new levels of improvement in the healthcare industry.
The candidates who wish to pursue a medical science course must have great determination since this is not an easy course and requires a lot of patience, time, and dedication.
- Biomedical science courses are available at undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, and doctorate levels.
- The undergraduate level program for biomedical science is the BSE for BSc biomedical science course.
- The postgraduate level course for biomedical sciences is the M.Sc. biomedical science course.
- Also, there are various diploma courses in the field of biomedical science.
Students can also pursue a doctorate after they have completed their post-graduation in the biomedical science field.
Bio Medical Courses Eligibility Criteria
The candidates who want to get admission to undergraduate and postgraduate biomedical science courses will have to clear certain eligibility criteria. Let’s look at the eligibility criteria for undergraduate and postgraduate biomedical science courses:
For undergraduate biomedical science course:
The undergraduate biomedical science course which is the BSc biomedical science course provides admission to students if they have passed their class 12th examination or any equivalent examination from a recognized Board of Education.
The students are also required to have biology chemistry physics as the compulsory subjects in their class 12th. Aspirants must have scored a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in their class 12th examinations to be eligible for admission to the undergraduate BSc biomedical science program.
For postgraduate biomedical science course:
The postgraduate biomedical science course which is the MSC in biomedical sciences provides admission to students if they have completed their bachelor’s degree in biomedical sciences or biochemistry, microbiology, or chemistry.
The student must have scored at least 55% marks in their undergraduate program to be eligible for a postgraduate program in biomedical science. They must have completed their education at a college that is recognized by the UGC.
To pursue a career in any specialization the candidates must have the right skill set. After completing the required educational qualifications candidates who want to work in the biomedical science field must have the following sets of skills So that they can become skilled professionals who can deal with the different situations that come in front of them during their work time:
- Scientific knowledge
- Technical skills
- Communication skills you
- Leadership qualities
- Teamwork skills
- Presentation skills
- Research skills
For getting admitted to a bio medical science course at the undergraduate level there are the B.Sc. honors biomedical science course which is available.
- Admission to the colleges that teach B.Sc biomedical science courses is done based on the merit of the student obtained in the class 12th examination or any equivalent examination from a recognized Board of Education.
- Most colleges and universities offer admission based on merit but some colleges also take entrance examinations for admission to biomedical science courses.
- For the universities that tech entrance examination for admission to the courses, the students must visit the official website page of the college and register for the entrance examination.
- After the admit card is released, students will have to download the admit card because without that they will not be allowed to take the examination.
- After taking the exam result will be declared which will state the number of students that have cleared the examination and according to the seats available, the students will get selected.
For postgraduate courses, commerce students can pursue M.Sc. in biomedical science courses.
- Admission to the M.Sc. biomedical science courses is also done on a merit basis.
- However, some colleges also conduct entrance examinations along with looking at the merit of the student in their undergraduate program.
- For the entrance examinations, the student will have to follow the same format that they did during their undergraduate course admission entrance examination.
- The seeds will be confirmed in the college after submitting the first installment of the fee for which the student will have to visit the examination cell of the college.
Many institutes are known for their quality education in biomedical science courses. Following is a list of top colleges for biomedical science courses in India:
- Pune University
- VIT Vellore
- Delhi university
- University of Hyderabad
- Galgotias University
- Gujarat University
Also See: B.Sc Forensic Science Course
There are different types of courses available in the biomedical science field such as undergraduate courses, postgraduate courses, doctorate courses, and diploma courses. Let’s see the fee structure of all these courses:
- Diploma courses – The fee for diploma courses is somewhere between INR 32,000 to INR 1,00,000 for the entire course duration.
- Undergraduate courses – The fee for undergraduate courses is somewhere between INR 20,000 to INR 6,00,000 for the entire course duration.
- Postgraduate courses – The fee for postgraduate courses is somewhere between INR 15,000 to INR 3,00,000 for the entire course duration.
- Doctorate courses – The fee for doctorate courses is somewhere around 50,000 for the entire course duration.
Several important subjects are covered during the duration of biomedical science courses. Following is a list of the top core subjects covered in biomedical science courses throughout their duration:
- Medicinal chemistry
- Molecular biology
- Bioorganic chemistry
- Human pathology
- Hormones and reproduction
- Human Physiology and anatomy
- Cell and radiation biology
- Medical microbiology
- Principles of genetics
- Molecular genetics
- Molecular endocrinology
- Genetic engineering and hormone biotechnology
- Hormones – physiological action
- Hormones – communication, secretion, biosynthesis, and metabolism
- Principles of Human Physiology
- Endocrine pathology
- Principles of India chronology
- Molecular biology of the cell
The field of biomedical science is ever-growing. Candidates who have a specific interest in a particular field can choose that field and then continue to work in it with various companies. Other candidates might go for work in the forensics veterinary laboratories government organizations, research work, etc.
The undergraduate and postgraduate level studies are important for becoming skilled biomedical science professional. There are many upcoming trends in the biomedical science field that can bring up many medical advances and step up the field of healthcare. Some new feels have gained a lot of attention in recent times search as 3D bioprinting, brain-computer interfaces, nanorobotics, etc.
They have quite some potential to take the healthcare industry to another level and bring up new technologies to advance the process of diagnosis and healing. With the new areas being developed, there is a lot of research work to be done and biomedical professionals are the people who do this! Skilled biomedical science professionals see a very glorious career in the field since they are the major contributors to it.
Also View: Best Medical Engineering Courses
The work area after biomedical science courses is vast. The professionals in the biomedical science field come up with scientific breakthroughs the trance storm medicine in ways that are helpful for humanity. The job profiles of biomedical science professionals are primarily related to the research field.
Candidates must select their field of interest and then pursue their career in that field via research work and other methods. Let’s look at some of the most popular job profiles that biomedical science professionals choose:
- Sales engineer
- Biomedical scientist
- Biomedical engineer
- Lab manager
The demand for biomedical science professionals has increased in recent years. Following are the top recruiting organizations that hire medical science professionals:
- Government offices
- Max hospital
- Delhi university
- Fortis healthcare
- Reddy’s lab
- Apollo hospital enterprises
The average salary of the professionals working in the biomedical science field is somewhere between INR 2,00,000 per annum to INR 5,00,000 per annum. As a fresher people can expect a salary of somewhere around INR 2,00,000 per annum to INR 3,00,000 per annum following are the top job profiles along with their average annual salaries:
- Lecturer – INR 4,00,000 per annum to INR 6,00,000 per annum
- Biomedical engineer – INR 2,00,000 per annum to INR 5,00,000 per annum
- Pharmacist INR – 1,00,000 per annum to INR 4,00,000 per annum
- Biomedical scientist – INR 2,00,000 per annum to INR 4,00,000 per annum
- Sales engineer – INR 2,00,000 per annum to INR 5,00,000 per annum
- Lab manager – 2,00,000 per annum to INR 4,00,000 per annum
1. What is the duration of the BSc biomedical science course?
The duration of a BSc biomedical science course is 3 years. The entire 3 years duration of this course is divided into 6 semesters and the examinations are done at the end of each semester whose results are combined to form the aggregate percentage of the student at the end of the 3-year duration.
2. Can I do a Ph.D. in biomedical sciences?
Yes, you can pursue a Ph.D. in biomedical science. If you want to become an expert in the biomedical science field a Ph.D. is one of the most popular choices. The duration of a Ph.D. in biomedical science is a minimum of 3 years.
3. What are the top institutions that offer M.Sc. in biomedical sciences?
Following are the top universities that offer M.Sc. courses in biomedical sciences:
- Birla Institute of Technology
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Mandalgarh University
- Banasthali Vidyapeeth
- Bharathidasan University
The above article contains complete information about the courses that are available for studying bio medical science courses. We hope that this article was able to help you decide which course in the biomedical science field to choose & pursue.
Do let us know your feedback and continue to visit our site Ncertbooks.Guru to know more about educational topics such as course details, books & study material, etc.