BAMS Course Details: Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery is the full form of BAMS. It is one of the popular degree courses offered by many colleges in the country. This course belongs to the science field. Given below are the details that you require to be eligible for applying for this course. Along with the eligibility criteria, there is a list of colleges provided below where these courses are offered.
Ayurveda is one of the oldest forms of medicinal systems in the country as well as in the world. Many colleges in the country offer this course so that you won’t face a lack of choice. Instead, you will have a variety of colleges that you can choose from for this course.
- BAMS Course Eligibility Criteria
- BAMS Course State-Level Exams
- BAMS Course Structure
- Colleges Offering BAMS Course
- BAMS Course Fee Structure
- Career Prospects for BAMS Course
- Job Profiles for BAMS Course
- What is the full form of BAMS?
- What is the course duration?
- Name a few colleges that offer BAMS?
- What are a few job opportunities for students who study this course?
What is BAMS Course?
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery is a degree program which is for students who want to pursue and study modern medicine along with traditional Ayurveda. One of the most ancient systems in the world is Ayurveda, and it belongs to the Vedic period. It’s an efficient system that helps to cure diseases as well as prevents them. This course helps the students understand the concepts of both modern medicine and Ayurvedic Medicine.
The system of Ayurveda is based on concepts like natural self-healing. It’s a system in which the body heals with the additional help and enhancement of Ayurvedic therapy. There are various advantages of Ayurvedic treatments and therapies.
It reduces the symptoms of the patient; it eliminates the impurities in the body of the patient and reduces the stress of the patient. Also, it helps in the prevention of further diseases in the body of the patient. The Ayurvedic treatments help the body heal, rejuvenate and prevent further diseases.
Every course has a few eligibility criteria that you need to fulfill to be eligible for that particular course. Given below is the list of criteria, you can check it and learn more about the course.
- The candidate must have appeared for standard 10 and 12 examinations with the science stream.
- The candidate must have studied the combination physics, chemistry, and biology in class 12.
- The candidates must have appeared and written the National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test.
- Along with NEET, the candidate must have appeared for state-level competitive exams.
The list of the state-level exams is given below
- Odisha Joint Entrance Examination.
- Kerala Engineering, Agriculture, and Medical.
- Goa Common Entrance Test.
- Bharatiya Vidyarthi Common Entrance Test
- Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test.
There will be two combinations of marks taken into consideration- standard 12 marks and the marks of the tests mentioned above.
BAMS is a course in the medical field. Candidates will need to study both modern medicine and Ayurvedic Medicine for this course. The course duration is four years and six months of academic study and one year of practical learning. The first four years and six months will be academic sessions. Last year of the course the candidate must do an internship program with Practical training.
This course is divided into several professional courses. In the first year, the candidate will learn these professional courses- anatomy, physiology, and history of the ayurvedic system. The second-year professional courses are- toxicology and pharmacology. Lastly, the final course is surgery, ENT, skin and obstetrics, and gynecology.
The course offers both modern medicine knowledge as well as the knowledge of Ayurveda. The students who graduate from this course are known as “Vaidyar”.
Several colleges around India offer a Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine course. Here’s a list to help you know which colleges offer this course:
- Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
- Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University, Gurgaon.
- Tilak Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Pune.
- Dr. DY Patil University, Navi Mumbai.
- KG Mittal Ayurvedic College, Mumbai.
- St. John’s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bengaluru.
- Sumatibhai Shah Ayurved Mahavidyalaya Malwadi, Pune.
- Ashtang Mahavidyalaya, Pune.
- Himalaya Ayurvedic Medical College and Hospital, Dehradun.
Bachelor of Ayurvedic and Medicine Surgery is a great course. The fee structure of this course varies from college to college. Fees vary from twenty-five thousand rupees per year to around three lakhs per year.
The job opportunities and horizon for the students of the BAMS extend all over the world. In India and the world, there’s an overlap of the two medical systems of modern medicine and ayurvedic medicine. There are many occasions when people prefer to take a second opinion in the Ayurvedic system. They follow the procedures of the Ayurvedic systems.
There are many cases where modern medicine fails. However, the treatment with the Ayurvedic system helps the body. Candidates will have the opportunity to continue there practice in India, or they can go abroad.
Candidates who study the Bachelor of Ayurvedic and Medicine Surgery are eligible for private practice. These students are eligible to be called doctors.
The candidates can apply for jobs in the government sector too. There are many options for these candidates in the government sector. They can work at a hospital as an ayurvedic pharmacist.
After the completion of the course, the candidates can open their retail shops. These shops can supply ayurvedic medicines. There are many job opportunities in the private and public sectors for the candidates.
Here’s a list of the job profiles for the students who want to pursue the course. It’s a list that gives a more concrete idea of the future of the course to the candidates.
- Product Manager
- Sales Representative
- Business manager
- Business development manager
- Jr. Clinical trial coordinator
- Medical representative
- Ayurvedic doctor
- Assistant claim health manager
FAQ’s on BAMS Course Details
The form of BAMS is a Bachelor of Ayurvedic and Medicine Surgery. It’s a combination of modern medicine and ayurvedic treatment.
The BAMS course usually takes five years and six months to complete. The first four years and six months are for learning academics, and the last year is for practical learning.
A few colleges that offer BAMS are Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University, Gurgaon, and Tilak Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Pune.
The job opportunities or profiles for students who study this course are Sales Representative, Business development manager, Lecturer, Therapist, and Scientist.