Biomedical Engineering Courses: There is an end number of decisions that you need to take in order to launch your career. The first one is the selection of the right field that suits your interest. For students your age there are so many options to choose from and one such exciting field is of biomedical engineering. With the growing demand in the healthcare sector and less job saturation, biomedical engineering is the best course in the modern-day.
The biomedical engineering courses are an amalgamation of two principles (engineering and medical science) making it one exclusive elite course. A biomedical engineer has a huge part to play in stabilizing the healthcare system. The student aims at a holistic study of mathematics, science, biology and medicine.
This article has been curated for someone like you, who is seeking guidance regarding the biomedical engineering courses. You get to learn about the courses, edibility, jobs, etc. everything under one roof that is related to the stream of a biomedical engineer. So let’s get into it.
- Biomedical Engineering Diploma Course
- Biomedical Undergraduate Courses
- Biomedical Engineering Postgraduate Courses
- Fee Structure of Biomedical Engineering Courses
- Biomedical Engineering Courses – Industry Domains/ Career Opportunities
- How many marks do I need in my 12th board to pursue a degree in biomedical engineering?
- Do I need biology to pursue biomedical engineering?
- What kind of work does a biomedical engineer have to deal with?
Types of Biomedical Engineering Courses in India
The field of biomedical engineering offers a wide range of degrees and diplomas. The courses are offered to students who are looking for a certificate diploma, under graduation after 12th, post-graduation. The different courses are as follow:
- Diploma Course
- Undergraduate Courses
- Postgraduate Courses
Diploma in biomedical engineering is a full-fledged 3 years’ program. This program is generally picked up by students after finishing their 10th board. Diploma helps the student to prepare for further studies in this very field of biomedical engineering.
- Eligibility: Students are eligible for a diploma course soon after they finish their 10th board or 12th. The student must be thorough with science and mathematics. To add, the entrance is entirely merit-based. The student has to go through a qualifying exam to make it to the merit list.
- Course Structure: The 3-year program is divided into 6 semesters. A student who takes up this course is trained in various subjects. These subjects are medical sensors, medical imaging, chemistry, application of electrical and electronics engineering in medical technology and instrumentation. The fees range between 3,00,000 – 7,00,000 INR for the entire course.
- Scope/ Job Opportunities/ Salary: Anyone with a biomedical engineering diploma has a lot of job opportunities. The job is entirely based on the student’s performance academically. The starting salary could be anything between 10,000-30,000 per month in case of a private job. Some of the job profiles are that of a research associate, service engineer, biomedical engineer, etc.
A four-year course is curated for students seeking a degree in the field of biomedical engineering. By pursuing this degree, you become someone who has a lot to offer in the sphere of healthcare. All you have to have is ardent interest and creativity to aid the research, technology and sciences. Under this program, you have the below-mentioned degrees to choose from.
The degrees under the 4-year under graduation program are as follows:
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Biomedical Instrumentation
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering
Eligibility: Students who are done with their 12th (science stream) or have finished their diploma in biomedical engineering are eligible for this course. You have to prove your eligibility by attempting various entrance exams for the same. Since it is a niche engineering course you have to sit for the same relevant competitive exams to get into the best colleges.
Course Structure: The program is divided into 8 semesters. Each semester has some common subjects, to begin with, the student is trained in basic engineering subjects. The study of biology along with other engineering subjects makes the course very unique. A student is guided throughout with the help of workshops, seminars and other educative means.
Scope/ Job Opportunities/ Salary: A person who has completed the 4-year program is ready to acquire one of the reputed profiles such as Biomedical engineer, equipment design engineer, lab administrator, etc. Pharmaceutical, healthcare equipment manufacturing companies, pathology labs, rehabilitation centers, hospitals, etc. is the apt place for anyone with this degree. The starting salary is 4,00,000-7,00,000 INR per annum. One can also seek jobs abroad to attract better pay and give an international service.
To have deeper knowledge in the field of biomedical engineering go for post-graduation. This is a 2 years short program. The level of the studies you have previously done is deepened.
PG courses for biomedical engineering offered in India are:
- M. Sc
- Master of Engineering (ME) in Biochemical Engineering & Biotechnology
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Bio-Medical Signal Processing & Instrumentation
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Biomedical Instrumentation
Eligibility: You need to be an engineering graduate in the field of biomedical or any other field which is closely related to the former. To get an admission in a reputed college you need to have good marks in GATE. MBBS holders can also opt for post-graduation in biomedical engineering. It is both a merit and entrance based course.
Course Structure: On this level, the student is taught a similar amalgamation of two major principles of engineering and biology. Along with this, the students are also prepared with lifesaving tactics like writing, communication and observation. The fee structure is 1-4 lacs for the entire program.
Scope/ Job Opportunities/ Salary: Obtaining this degree opens up a lot of doors for the student’s career-wise. Postgraduates in biomedical engineering are hired by giant healthcare companies. The person can choose from various job profiles, like product specialist, patent analyst, biochemical engineer, etc. The starting salary ranges from 4,00,000 -18,00,000 INR per annum.
The fees of all these courses approximately range between 2,00,000- 7,00,000 INR. To get the best of the fair fees always look forward to clearing the state or national level entrance test.
The majority of the services are needed by the companies which are tech giants dealing with healthcare equipment, software, biochemical research, etc. A person also paves his/ her way to big research centers, hospitals, labs, etc. Graduates in this field get to serve humanity in the broadest way possible.
FAQ’s on Biomedical Engineering Courses
You need to have an aggregate of at least 50% marks in your 12th grade from a reputed board.
Yes, a student must have physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics as core subjects to pursue this degree.
It is purely a niche engineering job with a bent towards research. A biomedical engineer is in demand at all the leading multi-specialty hospitals, healthcare companies, etc.