Dance Choreography Courses: Do you believe in pursuing an offbeat career? Many people want to go for tried and tested courses like pharmacy, engineering, medical, law, etc. But there are some offbeat careers as well which can make you successful too. One such course is Dance Choreography.
This course comes under humanities as dance is performing art. Those who love to express their feelings through the form of dance can choose this course. If you have the zeal for the Dance Choreography course, you can check out course-related information here. In this article, you will get the details about the choreography course, its duration, admission procedure, fee structure, job opportunities, salary details, etc.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details in Streamwise, and Category wise.
- About Dance Choreography Courses
- Study Materials in Dance Choreography Courses
- List of Colleges Offering Dance Choreography Courses in India
- Dance Choreography Courses Prerequisite
- Dance Choreography Courses Eligibility Criteria
- Dance Choreography Courses Fee Structure
- Admission Procedure for Dance Choreography Courses
- Dance Choreography Course Duration
- Syllabus of Dance Choreography Courses
- Career Prospects & Job Openings to Dance Choreographer
- Salary Offered to Dance Choreographers in India
- Top Dance Choreographer Recruiters
- Which training is required to become a Dance Choreographer?
- Who are the highest-paid dancers?
- Is Choreography a good career option?
- How many hours do Choreographers work?
Dance is an ancient performing art. One can express feelings beautifully through dance and entertain the spectators. Dance is the body’s movements with music in different postures. A dancer can give expression to different feelings like sorrow, joy, anger, laughter, etc. But a particular dance expresses the emotions or incidents accurately when it is appropriately choreographed.
Choreography is how dance performance is skillfully designed and arranged to express the feelings to please the spectators. Choreography gives shape in a dance performance. Dance choreography is used in different television shows, fashion shows, theatres, movies, etc. In India, there are a lot of institutions that offer courses on dance choreography.
There are different books on dance choreography courses online and offline. Though the situation was different a few years back. Nowadays, youngsters are getting attracted to the fame and passion of this profession. Many famous dancers have opened their institutions, which has boosted this profession. Some of the popular books on dance choreography are given below :
- Chaos Choreography by Seanan Mcguire
- Dance Studies: The Basics by Jo Butterworth
- Choreography The Art of the Body written by Winearls
- Trisha Brown: Choreography As Visual Arts by Susan Rosenberg
- The Art of Making Dances by Humphrey and Barbara Pollack
- Choreography Presenting: The seven essential Abilities of effective Presentersby Kendall V. Zoller and Claudette Landry
Also, check Dance Critique Essay which is helpful for effective preparation.
Choreography is a popular course in today’s era. Choreographers listen to the music, understand its meaning, and use it in rhythm with human body movement to express feelings in a pleasurable way. Some institutions of India offer professional Dance Courses in India.
- Institute for Creative Excellence, Chandigarh
- The ITA School of Performing Arts, Mumbai
- Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi
- Natya Institute of Khatak and Choreography, Bangalore
- University of Mysore
- Shiamak Davar Institute for Performing Art, New Delhi
- Shiamak Davar Institute for Performing Art, Mumbai
- Natya Institute of Khatak and Choreography, Bangalore
- University of Mysore
To become a good choreographer, one must know about different forms of dancing. The person should have a creative mind so that s/he can innovate new dance forms or use the old dance form differently. In most cases, performances are scheduled in a short period.
So, the person should be hardworking, patient, and punctual to make everyone adequately ready for the performance within short notice. A successful choreographer must be a team player and leader. The person has to listen and watch others performing many times to create perfection.
- Personality Development Course Details
- Calligraphy Course Details
- Beautician Course Details
- Art Courses
- Diploma in Acting Course
Dance Choreography is an art that needs more and more practice. For a formal course, one can apply after completing class 12 from a reputed school with a minimum of 45% marks. To do a master’s degree in Dance Choreography, one must have to complete graduation in the same field. Apart from these, there are short-term diplomas and certification courses for six months to two years.
The fee structure varies from 12000 to 75000 rupees. However, it depends on the duration, course type, and the reputation of the course. Bachelor’s degree in Dance Choreography costs between 5000 to 50000 rupees. Master’s degree in Dance Choreography costs 5000 to 60000 rupees. Diploma courses on Dance Choreography cost 20000 to 50000 rupees. Certification Courses on Dance Choreography costs 10000 to 25000 rupees.
Some institutions take direct admission while others conduct the entrance examination. Most of the institutes take admission based on personal interviews. In the case of direct admission, it depends on the merit of the last examination.
The duration of the dance choreography course varies on the type of it. The bachelor’s degree is for three years. A Master’s degree in Dance Choreography is for two years. There are diploma courses on Dance Choreography, which are one to two years. Some of the certification courses are of six to twelve months.
This course is designed to give both theoretical knowledge and practical skills. In the dance choreography course, students learn about different types of dances and practical training on them. The students must be hard working on practicing it rigorously. The practice is essential to master in this field. The standard syllabus for this course is discussed below.
- Choreography 1: Constructing the Body
- Movement Techniques: Codified practice level 1
- Movement Technique and Improvisation: Somatic Practice
- New Media and Performance Practice
- Collaborative Practice 1
- Choreography 2: Body as a conscious site
- Movement techniques: Codified practice level 2
- Movement Techniques: Contact Improvisation
- Dance on camera: Practice of Screen Dance
- Collaborative Practice 2: Sound and Site
- Choreography 3: Final Independent Project
- Movement Techniques: Codified Practice Level 3
- Movement Technique and Improvisation: Further Development of Somatic Skills
- Formation of a company to work with a professional Choreographer
- Professional Portfolio: The Enterprising Artist
The entertainment sector is a growing one. Because of the modern stressful work culture, people are trying hard to relax. Here entertainment is giving the much-needed relief. Dance Choreographers have a wide range of job opportunities to choose from. This course allows you to work with big brands in the television industry. They can also work in advertising companies, theaters, fashion brands, etc. Some of the job openings after completing the dance choreography course are listed below :
- Dance Instructor
- Dance Teacher
- Artistic Director
- Rehearsal Director
- Dance Critic
- Stage Performers
- Dance Therapist
- Dance or Dancing Assistant
- Freelance Dance Performance Artist
The salary of the choreographers depends on the skill, experience, and the organization’s reputation. A choreographer in India earns an average of 2 to 5 lacs per annum. Most of the dance choreographers charge on an hourly basis. However, big brands offer handsome salary packages to choreographers.
Some of the top organizations that hire for skilled choreographers are listed below :
- Balaji Telefilms
- Eros International
- Mukta Arts
- Rajshri Productions – Mumbai
- K. Films
- Trimurti Films
- UTV Motion Pictures
- Yash Raj Films
FAQ’s on Dance Choreography Courses
One must possess excellent dancing skills to become a dance choreographer. A professional course gives insight into various dance forms and techniques. However, it requires a lot of practice from an early age.
- Nina Ananiashvili – $30,000 per performance.
- Sylvie Guillem– $850,000 + per year.
- Benjamin Millepied– $900,000 net worth.
Yes, it is the right career choice, undoubtedly. If you enjoy moving your body with sound, it is the perfect career option for you. One has to design and arrange different body movements according to the music’s rhythm to express feelings that will entertain the spectators.
Choreographers are allowed a maximum of six hours of practice in a day. So, they need to work for 30 hours/ week. However, one may have to work during weekends and holidays sometimes.
Summary of Dance Choreography Courses
If you’re interested in dance and want to do it professionally, this can be an excellent course. Dance Choreographers are in huge demand nowadays. This profession can also give you both money and fame. Hopefully, the details provided above about the dance choreography course will help you gain knowledge about this course before taking admission in it. If you’ve any other queries regarding the dance choreography course, please write it down in the comment box.