Merchant Navy Courses: The Merchant navy courses provide an enormous career scope. The thriving shipping industry offers the opportunity to travel and lure for adventure at the high seas. The shipping sector opens businesses across the world and plays a vital role in good transportation and travel.
The possibility of high numerations attracts many students, and the Merchant Navy courses train them to adapt te various roles in the shipping industry. If you are looking for a job in the Merchant Navy field, then maritime courses will aid your rescue.
This article provides the best Merchant Navy courses in India, which will help you get good job prospects. Before you reach the main list of the possible naval courses, you need to know the benefits of Merchant Navy jobs.
- Merchant Navy Courses Eligibility Criteria
- Entrance Examinations for Merchant Navy Courses
- List of Merchant Navy Courses to Pursue After Class 12
- List of Merchant Navy Courses to Pursue after Class 10
- Top 5 Merchant Navy Colleges in India
- Job/Career Opportunities for Merchant Navy Courses
- Whats are the requirements to apply for Merchant Navy Job vacancies?
- What is the salary package offered for Merchant Navy courses?
- What are the courses offered to pursue the Merchant Navy?
Benefits of Merchant Navy Courses
- Merchant Navy jobs offer extensive knowledge, challenging atmosphere, and a high level of job pleasure.
- There are tremendous employment possibilities in the field of Merchant Navy and offers a decent amount of payroll from the start.
- It provides a massive opportunity and a faring adventure to travel and visit different parts of the world.
- In India. Merchant Navy courses offer both private and government job openings in shipping businesses such as del credere agents, Shipping Corporation of India, cleaning houses, etc.
The eligibility criteria for Merchant Navy courses are as follows:
- Candidates must graduate class 12 with PCM as their core subjects.
- Candidates have to unmarried Indian citizens ( Bachelor/Spinster)
- Candidates must require normal vision. However, the spectacle power range up to +/- 2.5 may be allowed.
- The admission process for any of the available Merchant navy courses is through an Entrance Examination. This is followed by a main written exam and a screening test.
- Upon qualifying the test, students will have an interview and a medical screening check-up.
- Candidates are also required to complete a ship-training course before the job position. The ship-training is a short-term course where the students are taught about the primary security concerns of voyaging.
After the successful completion of class 12, interested students can appear for the IMU CET-Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test. This is the main Entrance exam for Merchant Navy courses and is generally conducted in May.
There are other entrance exams like TIMSAT, MERI Entrance Exam, and JEE that also serve as a gateway to Merchant Navy courses.
Eligibility Criteria required for the entrance exams:
- Candidates must have completed class 10 for G.P. Rating Course.
- Candidates must have completed level 10+2 with PCM with a minimum aggregate of 60% for the Deck cadet and Engine cadet course.
The exam Application can be applied online. However, along with the Application form, candidates are required to submit a 100-word brief stating their reason behind the Merchant Navy course.
The Merchant Navy exam pattern is an MCQ(Multiple choice questions) test pattern. The questions will be asked over subjects like General Knowledge and Reasoning, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM), and English.
The following are the list of Merchant Navy courses that you can pursue after completing class 12
- Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering in Petroleum Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Electro-Technical Officer Course
- Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Harbour & Ocean Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Marine Catering
The following are the list of Merchant Navy courses that you can pursue after completing class 10
- Near Coastal Voyage (NCV) course
- Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS) course
- Commercial Diving course
- G.P. Rating course
Here, are India’s top five Maritime Institutes:
Tolani Maritime Institute
The Tolani Maritime Institute/ TMI is a well-known public institution located in Pune, India. The Institute offers both campus courses as well as distant program courses.
Campus-Based Courses in TMI
- Bachelor of Technology in Marine Engineering
- Competency Enhancement Courses
- HND Marine Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Nautical Technology
- Marine Engineering course
- Modular Courses
Distant Learning Courses in TMI
- SSTP for 10+2 rating course
- Extra First Class Engineering Courses
- SSTP for NCV Cadets course
- Post Graduate Masters in Marine Engineering course
- SSTP GES (CIFNET) course
Samudra Institutes of Maritime Studies
The SIMS or the Samudra Institutes of Maritime Studies is located in Pune, Maharastra, and offers interested students with Pre-training courses and post-training courses.
- DNS leading to Bachelor of Science in Nautical Sciences for a year ( Deck Officer Training)
- GME training for a year (Engine Officer Training)
- Bachelor of Technology in Marine Engineering for four years (Engine Officer Training)
Below are a few post sea mandatory courses provided by the Samudra Institutes of Maritime Studies
- Ship Manoeuvring Simulator course
- Specialized Training Program on Oil Tanker Operations course for two days
- Skilled Training Program on Gas Tanker Operations course for two days
- Liquid Cargo Handling Simulator – Operational Level course for three days
- Engine Simulator – Operational Level course for three days
- Oil Tanker Familiarisation course for five days
- Chemical Tanker Familiarisation course for five days
- Liquefied Gas Tanker Familiarisation course for five days
- Liquid Cargo Handling Simulator – Management Level course for five days
- Engine Stimulator-Management Level course for five days
- Specialized Training Program on Chemical Tanker Operations course for twelve days
- Skilled Training Program on Gas Tanker Operations course for two weeks
Vels Academy of Maritime Studies
The Vels Academy of Maritime Studies is located in Chennai and offers candidates career opportunities in shipping related activities ashore or shipping companies.
The college offers a Maritime course in B.Sc.Nautical Science for three years and this course is strictly residential. This course leads to the Second Mates Foreign-Going Certificate of Competency. After twelve months of sea service, the course establishes Navigating Officers onboard Merchant Naval ships anywhere in the world.
It also offers other courses such as DME, GME, and Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering.
MANET or Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training
The MANET is a Naval Education and Training Institute that offers two primary curriculum streams and is located in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering for four years
- Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science for three years
Institute of Technology and Maritime Engineering (ITME)
The ITME or the Institute of Technology and Maritime Engineering, located in Kolkata, offers courses in technological education. AICTE approves all the courses offered by the ITME. It provides the following classes for Maritime studies:
- Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Nautical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science and Engineering
In the Merchant navy, the salary package ranges from INR.12000 to 8 lakhs per annum. In India, the Merchant Navy courses offer enormous potential job opportunities in government and private shipping companies:
- You can work as a Deck officer or the Navigation officer
- You can work as an Electro-technical officer (ETO)
- You can work as an Engineer for shipping companies
- You can work as a Ratings. Ratings are professional and skilled sailors. This section of the crew helps the other officers with their daily tasks.
- You can work in the Catering and Hospitality crew. The Catering and Hospitality crew includes stewards, chefs, housekeepers, pursers, etc.
- You can work as a Marine Engineer.
FAQ’s On Merchant Navy Courses
The eligibility criteria for merchant navy vacancies is 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. The aspirants must have to be unmarried Indian citizens with normal vision. However, people with glasses must no exceed -/+ 2.5 power range.
The starting salary package for those applying for the merchant navy can range between INR 15,000/- to INR 8 lakhs per month.
The courses are B.Sc in Nautical Science, B.E in Petroleum Engineering, B.E in Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Electro-Technical Officer Course, B.E in Marine Engineering, B.E in Harbour & Ocean Engineering, B.E in Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering, and B.E in Mechanical Engineering.