Marine Engineering Courses Online: Engineering is a relevant course pursued after higher secondary education across the country. However, certain courses under the umbrella of Engineering hold high significance and value. Marine Engineering is one such branch that has been designed to train candidates to become Marine Engineers on Merchant Navy ships. However, B.E./B.Tech. Marine Engineering course is a residential program as great emphasis is laid on practical training and know-how.
Below is the recorded structure course for aspirants to pursue after twelfth or after graduation. This report covers the overall topics like prospectus, course gradations, particulars on qualification, the confirmation process, fee structure, and vocation possibilities.
- Overview of Marine Engineering Course Details
- Marine Engineering Course Duration
- Marine Engineering Courses Eligibility Criteria
- Marine Engineering Courses Age Criterion
- Top Entrance Examinations Under Marine Engineering Courses
- Top 10 Institutions for Marine Engineering Courses
- Required Skillset for Marine Engineering Courses
- Career Prospects of Marine Engineering Courses
- Job Profiles Under Marine Engineering Courses
- Top Recruiters of Marine Engineering Professionals
- Marine Engineering Salary
- What are the course levels of Marine Engineering offered to pursue?
- What is the required skill set to pursue a Marine Engineering course?
- What are the various Entrance Examinations jolted for Marine Engineering Courses?
- What is the scope of Marine Engineering in India?
Fundamental Details on Marine Engineering Courses
Marine Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, maintenance, operation, and construction of ship functions such as cargo handling, heating, steering, anchoring, and more. Marine Engineering offers a 4-year long B.E/ B.Tech course that deals with the construction and the operation of mechanical equipment of anything related to ships.
Upon completing this course, candidates will receive the Class Four Marine Certificate of Competency, granted by the Ministry of Shipping, India. However, candidates will receive this certificate only after the completion of the on-shore sea service for six months.
Once the Certificate of Competency is acquired, Marine Engineer graduates can deck on any of the Merchant Navy in India or overseas.
B.E./B.Tech. Marine Engineering Degree comprises of two pathways through which aspiring candidates may acquire it. Candidates can pursue through the regular B.E./B.Tech. Degree program or may take up through the Lateral entry after the completion of a Diploma Program.
Some of the essential topics covered in the course are- generators and control systems, the legislative part of the shipping sector fire safety and prevention, pumping systems, and more.
|Bachelor’s / Master’s/ Diploma
|4 years/ 2 years
|10+2/ Bachelor’s Degree
|Merit-based or Entrance-based
|SMEC Automation Pvt Ltd, Mumbai, India, TMC Shipping Pvt Ltd., Mumbai, India, American Cruise Lines, United States, GMMCO Limited, Bangalore, India, etc.
|Offshore drilling platforms, Colleges, and Universities, Ferries, Harbours, Submarines, etc
|Port manager, Maritime educator, Second marine engineer, Ship manager, Ship operator, Marine surveyor, Chief marine engineer, Technical superintendent
|Marine Engineering Course Fees
|INR 15,000 to 15 lakhs
|Average Starting Salary
|INR 5 to 20 lakhs
Diploma in Marine Engineering
In the case of the Diploma in Marine Engineering, the course duration is for three years.
Bachelor Courses in Marine Engineering
In the case of a Bachelor’s Degree in Marine Engineering, the course duration is four years. However, candidates making an entry through the Lateral pathway could get through the admission only in the second year of the Degree. Therefore, for them, the course duration is for three years.
- B.Tech/B.E. in Marine Engineering
- B.Sc in Marine Engineering
Master Courses in Marine Engineering
In the case of a Master’s course- M.Tech in Marine Engineering, the course duration is two years.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details Streamwise, and Categorywise.
B.E./B.Tech. Marine Engineering Program
For regular Bachelor’s program, candidates should have completed their higher secondary education ( class 12) in the stream Science with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are their core subjects.
Candidates must have secured a minimum aggregate of 60 percent in PCM subjects and a 50 percent aggregate in English.
Diploma in Marine Engineering
Candidates must have secured a minimum aggregate in higher education (class10) examination from a recognized board or institution to get admission into the diploma program.
M.Tech in Marine Engineering
Candidates must have secured a minimum aggregate in B.E/B.Tech in Marine Engineering from a recognized institution.
Candidates should have completed a Diploma course in Marine or Mechanical Engineering from any recognized institution or university.
Candidates should have obtained a minimum of 50 percent aggregate in English (in the 10th or 12th standard examination) and a minimum of 60 percent aggregate in the Diploma course.
In the case of the Bachelor’s Program- B.E./B.Tech. Marine Engineering program, the age limit required is that candidates should be within the age group of 17-25 years of age. In the case of Lateral entry, there are no age limit criteria. However, the upper limit is 25 years old.
- Robotics Engineering Courses
- How to Become Marine Biologist in India?
- Software Engineering Courses
- Biomedical Engineering Courses
- Sound Engineering Courses
- How to become Marine Engineer in India?
Marine Engineering Admission process at both UG and PG levels is based on entrance examinations by individual institutions, while some institutions conduct the Admission process based on merit.
The selection process varies from one institution to another, but, the typical process for Marine Engineering Courses After 12th involves two steps:
- Admission process based on Entrance examination grade
- Admission based on the merit list, based on the candidate’s performance in the Entrance Exam and the Qualifying Exam
This process is followed by Group Discussion, Personal Interview, Medical or Psychometric Test, all depending on the Institution/University. However, certain Institutions/universities offer Admissions through Direct entry.
UG level Entrance Examinations:
Generally, the entrance examinations syllabus includes Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics (PCM), Logical Reasoning, and English.
- JEE Main
- JEE Advanced
- TMI SAT
- HIMT Entrance exam
PG level Entrance Examinations:
GATE is one of the most well-known entrance examination conducted for Marine Engineering programs at the Post-grad level. Interested applicants can also opt for GATE to qualify for Mechanical or Electrical engineering papers. Even though the course contains no other paper.
GATE examination papers comprise of 65 questions that will be graded out of 100. Out of these 65, 10 questions will carry a score of 15 in the category- General Aptitude (GA). The paper comprises Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) that carry a score of one or two marks and Numerical Answer Questions that carry a score of one or two marks each in all the sections and papers.
Apart from educational qualifications, entrance examinations, and age limit criteria, medical standards are a top priority in the Merchant Navy industry. Upon successful completion of this course, successful candidates have to take up challenging tasks while in the Merchant Navy. To perform such tasks, candidates must meet the health-related criteria.
Aspiring candidates should not be night blind or color blind and should have an unaided vision of 6/12. Additionally, health check-ups are conducted to check whether the candidates meet the health-related criteria and whether they are qualified to face the naval roles.
Top 10 Institutions for Marine Engineering Courses |Marine Engineering Courses Fee
- Andra University, Vishakhapatnam- Fee structure: INR 8,00,000
- Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, Chennai – Fee Structure: INR 11,00,000
- VELS University, Chennai – Fee Structure: INR 9,78,000
- AMET University, Chennai – Fee Structure: INR 25,860
- Anna University of Technology, Chennai – Fee Structure: INR 3,00,095
- Anna University of Technology, Tirunelveli – Fee Structure: INR 75,000
- Chandigarh College of Engineering and Technology, Chandigarh- Fee Structure: INR 55,225
- GKM College of Engineering, Chennai- Fee structure: INR 29,220
- Gujrat Technology University, Ahmedabad- Fee Structure: INR 25,000
- Himalayan University, Itanagar- Fee Structure: INR 32,000
Marine engineering is an apt course for aspiring candidates to conduct research work in oceans or coastal waters in the future. However, to be a successful marine engineer, candidates must acquire or display the following skillset:
- Negotiating Skills
- Budget Management Skills
- Excelling Mathematical Skills
- Team Management Skills
- Good Communication Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Proven Problem-solving Skills
- CAD/CAM Skills
- Efficient Planning Skills
- Excellent Technical Knowledge and IT Skills
Career Prospects of Marine Engineering Courses in India
Merchant Navy is a career building sector and is also highly crucial as it aids the global economy’s growth and stability. Merchant Navy industry generates a platform for several job vacancies.
After completing the course, candidates are required to complete six months of sea service to qualify for the Certificate of Competency. Upon receiving the certificate, an individual may join the Merchant Navy ships as Marine Engineer.
Candidates will be given further training programs after their sea service period, which gives rise to ranks obtained through the Class 1Competency Certification criteria. Through this process, an individual can rise to rank as Chief Engineering Officer.
Marine Engineering gets employed to work in areas like:
- High-speed craft
- Merchant Navy ships
- Offshore drilling platforms
- Working vessels
- Pleasure craft
Marine Engineers are expected to bag the following job profiles after the successful completion of the course:
- Chief Electric Tech Officer
- Port Manager
- Design Engineer
- Marine Engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- Ship Operator
- Naval Personnel
- Marine Surveyor
- Chief Security Officer
- Ship Manager
- American Cruise Lines, United States
- GMMCO Limited, Bangalore, India
- Martinek Design and Engineering Pvt Ltd., Chennai, India
- ITT Shipping (P) Ltd., Kolkata, India
- GE Shipping Co. Limited, Mumbai, India
- SMEC Automation Pvt Ltd, Mumbai, India
- Carnival Cruise Line, United States
- TMC Shipping Pvt Ltd., Mumbai, India
Marine Engineering graduates will get an attractive pay package depending upon their post and experience. In India, the average pay package for a graduate fluctuates around Rs. 64000 to Rs. 96000 per annum. However, for those working overseas, the average pay package is 85000$ per annum.
FAQ’s on Marine Engineering Courses
Marine Engineering course offers four courses: The Diploma Level, The Bachelor’s Level, The Master’s Level, and the Lateral level
Marine Engineering aspirants must hold certain skillsets such as Negotiating Skills, Budget Management Skills, Excelling Mathematical Skills, Team Management Skills, Good Communication Skills, Time Management Skills, etc. to deem eligible for the course
For Bachelor’s Degree in Marine Engineering, candidates must qualify for IMU-CET, JEE Main, JEE Advanced, TMISAT, and HIMT Entrance examinations. For the Post-Grad level, the candidate must qualify for the GATE entrance examination.
Merchant Navy is a career building sector and is also highly crucial as it aids the global economy’s growth and stability. Merchant Navy industry generates a platform for several job vacancies. Marine Engineering graduates will get an attractive pay package depending upon their post and experience.
We hope that the information mentioned above regarding Marine Engineering Courses has helped improve your understanding of the subject with in-depth knowledge.