MDS Course Details: If you are planning your career as a Dental Surgeon, then there is no other better option than pursuing MDS. MDS Stands for Master of Dental Sciences. This is a post-graduation degree that has a duration time of three years. Dentistry is a part of Medicines that will stop the disease effects occur on the teeth. It is two years for those who have a Post Graduation Diploma as recognised under DCI. Students who opt and improve their research skills in the dental area should go for MDS Course.
Hence they will learn about essential disciplines in dentistry. If you have finally made your mind into this course, then learn about the complete details about the course. The necessary information included in the below article is the fee structure, duration, eligibility, subjects and concepts, salary, and employment opportunities.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details in Stream wise, and Category wise.
- MDS Course Details
- Subjects, Concepts in MDS Course Details
- List of Colleges Offering MDS Course
- MDS Course Duration
- MDS Course Fee Structure
- MDS Course Eligibility Criteria
- MDS Course Admission Procedure
- MDS Course Syllabus
- Job Profile and Other Employment Opportunities
- Salary Offered to MDS Professionals
- List the most famous specialisations under the MDS course?
- Is it necessary to go for MDS after BDS?
- Is it worth doing MDS?
- Summary of Master of Dental Sciences Courses
|MDS Full Form||Master of Dental Sciences|
|Duration||Three years after BDS or two years After Post Graduation Diploma under DCI recognition|
|Eligibility||50% minimum marks in BDS|
|Fees paid||6 to 30 lakhs for the entire course of three years|
|Salary Offered||6-10 lakhs in a year|
|Job opportunities||Ceramist, Dental Assistant, Dental Hygienist, Dental Surgeon, Medical Representative, and many more|
|Type of Course||Degree course of three years|
|Admission Procedure||Entrance examination at state or national level|
|Skills Required||Able to solve dental and oral problems with health|
You will have various options in specialisation under MDS Course. You can specialise in the field you like. Hence the syllabus will vary as you specialise in a field. However, the basic skill set that you must have is you must be able to solve dental and oral problems. Also, you must specialise in the research work. With this, you will attain a good job in various fields. Your clarification for the concepts and knowledge will define your future position. The basic subjects will be:
- Oral Pathology
- Conservative Dentistry
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
There are numerous colleges in India offering MDS Course Degree. Some of the top colleges are listed below:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Kattankulathur
- Manipal College of Dental Science, Mangalore
- Government Dental College, Mumbai
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science, Delhi
- S.D.M. College of Dental Sciences & Hospital, Dharwad
- MDS in Delhi-NCR
- MDS in Maharashtra
You will have to attempt annual mode of examination once you take admission in the course. The course offerings do not have any semester system. It will take you through a total of three yearly examinations. Thus the duration for MDS course is three years after completing BDS. This course is a post-graduation level degree. Also, there is a provision of two years if you have passed PG Diploma under-recognition of DCI. This is a particular case.
The total MDS Course fees lie somewhere between INR 6 to 30 lakhs for the entire degree. Also, the fees of a government-owned college of the institute will be less as compared to a privately owned college or university. Hence on average, we can say that it might take 2-8 lakhs in a year.
Given below are the eligibility criteria and the minimum qualification required to take admission to MDS Course.
- Minimum Qualification Required: You must have completed your bachelor’s degree as BDS Course or the equivalent degree as recognised under the Dental Council of India.
- Health: You must suffer from any contagious disease and must be fit for the course.
- Age Limit: You must be at least 21 years to take admission in the MDS course. Hence you can apply for the entrance test of AICET.
If you want to take admission in MDS Course, then you will have to follow a strict pattern. NEET MDS entrance examination is held, and you need to cover its criteria. However, before this, many state-level examinations were also preferred, but now the criteria have changed to NEET MDS level. Clear the examination, and you shall be liable to enter MDS Course. If you are eligible for the course then you need to follow the below process to take admission:
- Fill the online application form.
- Clear your entrance exam
- Take admission in the college as per counselling results.
There are various options available for you in specialising to MDS Course. The below are listed ones, and you can choose according to interest.
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Applied Basic Sciences
- Minor Oral Surgery and Trauma
- Recent Advances in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Recent Advances in Periodontics
- Applied Basic Sciences
- Diagnosis, Treatment, Implantology, and Preventive Periodontology
- Etiopathogenesis Of Periodontal Diseases
- Applied Basic Sciences
- Recent Advances in Orthodontics
- Growth and Development, Diagnosis & Radiology, and Basics in Orthodontics
- Dentistry Material
- Recent Advances in Conservative Dentistry
- Conservative Dentistry with preventive dentistry
- Oral Pathology, Oral Microbiology & Forensic Odontology
- Recent Advances in Oral Pathology
- Applied Basic Sciences
- Laboratory and Histopathological Techniques
In the field of dentistry, the demand for surgeons has been rising day by day. Government and private units have been recruiting surgeons. They help in providing the best oral health services to the people. For good health, dental care has become an important aspect. If you have completed the MDS course, you will be eligible for the following job profiles:
- Dental Surgeon
- Researcher/ Professor
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Private Practitioners
- Dental Lab Technician
- Medical Representative
- Forensics & Oral Pathologist
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Assistant
- Private Practitioner
- Sales Representative
You can even pursue other Dental Courses in India to get placed in the following sectors with best job options.
Various sectors to provide a job under MDS Course job profile include:
- Dental Colleges & Research Institutes
- Dental Labs
- Military Services
- Private Hospitals & Clinics
- Educational Institutes
The career scope for MDS Professionals has been rising and hence the demand increases. You will have a better and secured future in the coming time.
After you have completed the MDS Course and study, you will earn a good package as the job profiles listed above. For different job profiles, there are different packages. Yet, the average salary package lies somewhere between Rs. 6 to 10 lakhs in a year. But, for a surgeon, the package lies between Rs.15 to 20 lakhs in a year. Also, for the private dental surgeons, they can even earn more as their demand in the people. With time, your salary will increase according to experience and type of sector.
FAQ’s on MDS Course Details
If you are into MDS course then you can specialise in a particular field. Some best specializations include Orthopaedics, Public Health, Microbiology, Conservative Dentistry, and Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
Like an MS and MD doctor, MDS degree holder is given high preference. Yet, if you want to be a private practitioner, then BDS is enough for you.
MDS degree will fetch you to the different job profile that is highly paid all over India. Hence it is worth doing the MDS course.
The data listed above must have helped you gain enough information to take admission in the MDS course. You can specialise in the field as you prefer under this course.