How To Become A Dentist In India?: Dentistry in India is a profession that many people want to take up and is quite popular. Oral health issues are common today. Curing the health issues related to the mouth, the gums, teeth, and the issues involved in and around the mouth is done by a Dentist. Today, in the health care system, dentists also play a vital role. In India, dentistry is five years which is known as Bachelor of Dental Surgery. It involves four years of full-time dentistry course and one year of practical experience, an internship. In India, the dental council of India regulates dental education.
Refer to Course Details to know more about related courses and find details like Admission Process, Eligibility Criteria, etc.
If you want to practice as a dentist, you need a BDS degree. After completing the degree of Bachelors, the candidate can also pursue a masters degree of Masters of Dental Surgery. You can apply to the BDS course via a state examination, after which you will be given a two-year course for dental hygiene and mechanics. The Post-graduation course or training is three years that needs to be done taking a specialised subject like Prosthodontics, Periodontics, Oral Pathology Microbiology, community dentistry, oral maxillofacial surgery, and much more.
- Who Is Eligible for Becoming A Dentist?
- What is BDS all about?
- Skills Required To Become A Dentist
- What Is the Job Description Of A Dentist?
- What is The Salary Of A Dentist?
- Why Should One Choose Dentist As A Profession Or Career Option?
- Conclusion on How To Become A Dentist In India?
All those candidates who have passed their 10+2 exams with a science background and at least 50% marks can sit for BDS exams. The CBSE conducts the AIEE, which is All India Entrance Examinations for BDS and MBBS courses. Candidates who pass this exam with good marks are given the best institutes to study for their Dental and MBBS degrees. Generally, seeing the merit scores of the candidate, the institutes are allocated. The National Testing Agency also conducts a national level medical entrance exam which is NEET-UG. By clearing this exam, an undergraduate student above 17 years is eligible for studying BDS.
BDS means bachelor of Dental surgery is a degree that is given to dentists. The suffix Dr. automatically comes in front of your name when you complete BDS. It is a professional educational program for dental doctors in India. All those students who cannot qualify for MBBS or think MBBS is a tough go for pursuing BDS. Dental issues, surgeries and dentures are taught in this course. After doing this course, you can either practice under a hospital or a pharmaceutical company or open a clinic of your own. After you complete four years of educational training and one year of mandatory internship from a renowned dental college, you are awarded the degree of BDS. After this degree, you can practice as a professional dentist or a dental surgeon. The course is challenging, but you will be able to do it only if you have the confidence and the willing power to become a doctor.
A dentist is a profession that requires lots of patience and dedication towards the work. Curing peoples teeth, gum and fulfilling their oral healthcare needs is not a joke.
- Motivation and self-discipline: It takes a lot of motivation and self-discipline to become a dentist by profession. A dentist needs to be perfect in his work so that the quality of work delivered is undoubted.
- Work like a professional: He needs to show his talent within a limited area and work with total concentration. He needs to work as a professional so that his work speaks for himself.
- Communication skills: Another critical skill of dentists is that he needs to be soft-spoken and have good communication skills. Explaining the problem to the patient and his family members is a big task. He needs to patiently deal with the patient’s problem and needs to communicate the same to the family members. He needs to be polite with his working staff and peers.
- Cognitive abilities must be good: the capability of learning and practising the exact needs to be high. The ability to master everything that is taught and to use it actually must be excellent in dentists.
- Responsible for their work: everyone who wants to become a dentist by profession needs to be responsible for his work. To maintain ethical standards and to learn to behave professionally needs to be a motive of a dentist.
An individual who becomes a dentist takes care of the oral health of the patients, but their job involves surgical health care of the mouth. A few dentists are trained in doing cosmetic surgery of the teeth and gums. Generally, a budding dentist needs to take care of the teeth, tooth filling, gum issues and more. There are different job profiles in the career of a dentist.
- Orthodontist: The job role of an Orthodontist is to study and examine the history of the teeth, study dental records. Make teeth models and make a treatment plan for a patient. An orthodontist can cure the irregularities of teeth. They can cure the patient’s teeth by using different appliances.
- Oral surgeon: In this profession of becoming a dentist, one can also become an oral surgeon. He will be specialised in performing facial deformities due to oral health, treating tumours. They also perform surgeries related to the gums, complex teeth structures and other mouth-related issues.
- Periodontists: A person who is a specialist in treating gum-related issues is known as a Periodontist. He is the one who specialises in treating tissues that support the teeth and the gums. A periodontist can also perform any kind of periodontal procedure.
- Prosthodontists: All those who have problems speaking and eating due to irregular jaws and gums can meet a prosthodontist. Doctors who replace the teeth structures and are known to correct the gums and jaws are prosthodontists.
- Endodontists: Dentists who treat the root canal and help people stay away from bad teeth and cavity issues are known as Endodontists. They are specialists and treat the dental pulp and the roots of the teeth and the nerves.
- Pedodontists: the doctors who treat the teeth and gums of children are known as pedodontists.
A dentist is a noble profession, and there are many perks attached to this noble profession. There is a lot of job security in this profession. A general salary of a budding dentist when working in a government hospital can be around 25,000 rupees per month. There is a limit to earning in this profession. If you are working privately, then the starting salary in this profession can be around 7,00,000. But after a few years of practice, one can get up to 12 to 15,00,000 per year. It is a respectable profession, and in the coming years too people will be inclined in becoming a dentist as there is a boom in this career. If you become a visiting doctor in specific hospitals, the per hour charge can be high.
- It is one profession with good job security and is one of the best paying jobs in the medical career. Whatever you have invested in becoming a dentist, you can quickly recover it within a few years of practice.
- It is one of the most flexible professions. Generally, there is never a case of emergency, and doctors can give slots to patients according to their convenience.
- It is a profession that will make you learn about something new every time you attend a patient as everyone has a different teeth structure, unique problems that will help you learn something different.
- The career of a dentist is always in demand. Due to the bad eating habits of people, dentists will always be in demand.
Dentists today are the most demanding medical health care, professionals. It is a noble profession, but one needs to be a pro in whatever dentist job he has chosen. Caring about the patients oral health is the main motive of a dentist. The more he practices in this profession, the better doctor he will become. Even in the coming years, there is going to be an increasing demand for dentists in India. Thus, all those who want to become a dentist must choose this profession as it is one of the best paid and secured jobs in the medical line.