Diploma in Engineering Courses: A Diploma course in the field of Engineering provides the classes conducted on the fundamentals of Engineering concepts. The Diploma course is planned so that the Diploma graduates may take up jobs in the field of Engineering.
Diploma Courses in engineering offers an advantage wherein the students can transfer in the second year to B.Tech. Or B.E. course. This Diploma section approach is referred to as the ‘backdoor to engineering degree’ approach and allows the students to get back in track with the Bachelor’s program.
Those students wanting to pursue a Diploma in Engineering need not study for the eleventh and twelfth class examinations. The aspirants can directly achieve Engineering in the three years of the degree course after the direct transfer and the same amount of time with three years of a diploma course.
The students can avoid or bypass JEE Advanced (previously IIT-JEE), JEE Main (earlier AIEEE), or any other Individual Entrance exams conducted by colleges and states.
This article will guide you through the necessary information regarding Diploma courses in Engineering in India and is applicable for those who have completed their 10th and 12th classes. This article will provide you with information on eligibility criteria, admission process, course duration, and job/career opportunities.
However, below are a few necessary details you need to know about Diploma in Engineering course programs.
- Diploma in Engineering Eligibility Criteria
- Lateral Entry Test
- Diploma in Engineering Admission Procedure
- Entrance Examinations for Diploma in Engineering
- Branches in Diploma in Engineering
- Diploma Courses in Engineering
- Top Colleges for Diploma in Engineering
- Higher Studies for Diploma Courses in Engineering
- Job/Career Prospects for Diploma Courses in Engineering
- Briefly state the definition for Diploma in Engineering?
- What are the top five colleges that offer Diploma courses in engineering?
- What are the available career prospects in the field for Diploma in Engineering courses?
- What is the salary package for graduates from this field?
- What is the Diploma in Engineering Fees?
Necessary Details About Diploma in Engineering
The Diploma Courses are usually semester-wise or a yearly exam pattern. The annual exam pattern Diploma courses follow three years. The Diploma in Engineering is divided into major types based on the required entrance qualifications. In India, Diploma courses in Engineering are available in different notable formats such as:
- Integrated courses (B.E./B.Tech. + M.E./M.Tech.)
- Degree courses (B.E. or B.Tech.)
- Ph.D. programs
- Diploma courses
- Master’s courses (M.E. or M.Tech.)
A regular Diploma in Engineering is for three years. The Diploma programs in the field of Engineering are job oriented in nature. Given below is the duration of the course and the eligibility criteria for the classes:
- To be eligible, the candidate must have secured a minimum qualification in the tenth standard/Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC)/equivalent examination.
- The candidate must have secured an aggregate of 35 percent in the subjects mathematics and science.
Lateral Entry Test/ LET is an admission process, where Diploma graduates may secure admission directly into the second academic year of relevant B.E. or B.Tech. Program. Admission is carried out based on marks scored by students in the Diploma program. Students can also get lateral entry in BTech(2nd year) after completing the diploma course.
The technical education board of most states in India conducts state-wide entrance examinations for the Admission process for the diploma programs offered by the different polytechnic institutes within the state.
A Diploma graduate is usually eligible to pursue either B.Tech./B.E. programs during the second term under a ‘backdoor to engineering degree’ approach. This Admission approach is only possible for the graduate after writing the Lateral Entry Test(LET).
Upon qualification, the candidate can apply for any B.Tech./B.E. programs. The course content of the B.Tech./B.E. program and the Diploma courses in Engineering are similar. However, the syllabus content is higher in the case of the B.Tech./B.E. programs.
The students from the Diploma courses in Engineering are at an advantage as they have already had a solid knowledge of the concepts and fundamentals of the course. Those students with a regular B.Tech./B.E. after their twelfth grade are at less advantage.
Some institutions conduct direct admission or donation-based Admission process. In contrast, most reputed institutions do the Admission process based on the merit score achieved by students in any relevant entrance test/their board exam.
The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) conducts the DIPIETE entrance or the Diploma Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers, which is a diploma-level examination. This entrance examination is held twice a year in June and December in various centers around India.
To be eligible for this entrance examination, the students should have completed in their tenth standard/equivalent examination/SSLC with science and mathematics are their core subjects.
Engineering is a vast field that encompasses a variety of disciplines within this field. Based on these available branches, students are options while opting for Diploma courses in Engineering programs. Some such notable offices are
- EC Engineering
- IT Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- IC Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
Here are some of the notable Diploma in Engineering courses List –
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Science Engineering
- Diploma in IT Engineering
- Diploma in IC Engineering
- Diploma in EC Engineering
- Diploma in Electronics Engineering
- Diploma in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Diploma in Petroleum Engineering
- Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
- Diploma in Aerospace Engineering
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering
- Diploma in Mining Engineering
- Diploma in Biotechnology Engineering
- Diploma in Plastics Engineering
- Diploma in Food Processing and Technology
- Diploma in Agricultural Engineering
- Diploma in Dairy Technology and Engineering
- Diploma in Power Engineering
- Diploma in Metallurgy Engineering
- Diploma in Textile Engineering
- Diploma in Environmental Engineering
Some colleges (or polytechnics) that offer the three-year diploma program in different engineering streams are listed below:
- Amrutvahini Polytechnic, Sangamner
- Ghousia Polytechnic For Women, Karnataka
- Guru Tegh Bahadur Polytechnic Institute
- Hindustan Electronics Academy, HEA Polytechnic
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology (IGIT), Sarang, Orissa
- Jalpaiguri Polytechnic InstituteJawaharlal Nehru Institute of Technology, Pune
- MEI Polytechnic
After completing any Diploma course, the graduates are given an option to take up a job or go for higher studies. B.E. or B.Tech. are the two best courses to pursue after completing a Diploma course.
Diploma courses in the field of Engineering offer many career opportunities for fresh graduates after completing the course in both the private sector and the government sector. Individual companies prefer the recruitment of Diploma students in the field of Engineering over those with a Bachelor’s in Engineering.
In the Private Sector: Graduates from Diploma courses in the field of Engineering can get career opportunities at companies like Maruti Suzuki, Bombay Dyeing, HCL, Tata Motors, Siemens, Infosys, etc. based on your course.
Diploma in Engineering Salary Package: These companies at entry-level offers the graduates approx 10,000 INR. Most graduates find job opportunities such as service engineers, product developers, analysts, assistant designers, junior engineers, executives, etc.
Diploma graduates in the field of engineering get offered as a lab assistant at college. The Gulf countries provide excellent career opportunities for Diploma graduates in Engineering.
In Government Sector: The opportunities available are for graduates in this sector:
- Job vacancies in the Indian railway
- Job vacancies in the Power grid
- Job vacancies in the BHEL
- Job vacancies in the Airport Authority of India
- Job vacancies in the Electricity department
FAQ’s On Diploma in Engineering Courses After 10th
A diploma in engineering is training that focuses on technical expertise and engineering skills. It is a professional degree offered at the undergraduate level or after 10th or 12th classes.
The top five colleges are Guru Tegh Bahadur Polytechnic Institute, Amrutvahini Polytechnic, Sangamner, Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology (IGIT), Sarang, Orissa, Ghousia Polytechnic For Women, HEA Polytechnic, and Karnataka, Hindustan Electronics Academy.
Most graduates are provided job opportunities such as service engineers, product developers, analysts, assistant designers, junior engineers, executives, etc.
The entry-level salary package for graduates approx 10,000 INR. However, the salary package depends on the company and the course the graduate joins and studied.
Diploma in Engineering Fees Structure ranges from INR 30,000 to lakh.