Astrophysics Courses: Astrophysics is the study of stars, galaxies, planets and we can say the course of life and death of stars in our universe. In simple words, we can say that it is a study of galaxies and stars. The students who are interested in becoming astronauts or want to work with organizations like ISRO or NASA can opt for this Course. It is a 3-year course known as B.Sc in astrophysics course. These three years are divided into six semesters, and after completing your graduation in B.Sc, you can also opt for Masters in astrophysics for a better salary package or a better position and post.
- Astrophysics Course Admission Process
- Astrophysics Course Fee Details
- Astrophysics Course Job Opportunities
- Astrophysics Course Salary Offered
- List of Astrophysics Courses
- Top Colleges Offering Astrophysics Courses in India
- What is the Difference between Astronomy & Astrophysics?
- Can Astrophysicists become Astronauts?
- What is the syllabus for the entrance of Astrophysics?
Astrophysics Course Eligibility Criteria
For admission in any college of astrophysics, the student must have passed 10+2 from a recognized educational board with mathematics and physics as their two major subjects, and with an aggregate score of 50%. Apart from the percentage, the colleges will conduct a common entrance exam for the students, and the colleges will be given according to their rank. Students with a good entrance score can opt for top colleges.
The admission of the student is done based on his/her entrance score and also on the performance of 10+2 exams. Some institutes also conduct personal interviews as a part of the admission process. The lists of colleges are given to the students according to their rank in the common entrance exam, and they can opt accordingly. The documents required during the admission process are:
- Identity proof
- Date Of Birth proof
- Class 12th mark sheet
- Admit card of the entrance exam
- Copy of application form
The Astrophysics bachelor’s course has a duration of three years in regular mode with an average fee of Rs. 20,000 years from a government college. However, the course fee can vary from colleges and universities.
The students who do well in B.Sc in Astrophysics can be recruited by many space organizations like ISRO, NASA, US Naval Observer, Space Telescope Science Institute, etc. The following are the career option the students can opt for after completing their graduation:
- Observational Astronomers
- Solar Astronomers
- Research Assistants
- Stellar Astronomers
You can also be a part of a research team in an esteemed organization as an intern to explore the world of astrophysics. The organization tests your knowledge and skills, and if you can pass the test, you might be appointed with a PPO. With experience and expertise, the post and salary also increase.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details Streamwise, and Category wise
- Astrophysicists: INR 80,000 – 9,00,000 Rs. PA
- Observational Astronomers: INR 1,60,000 – 6,50,000 Rs. PA
- Stellar Astronomers: INR 2,50,000 – 8,50,000Rs. PA
After graduation, students also get the option of continuing their study in the same field as masters in Astrophysics, P.HD in any of the astrophysics subjects. There is also an option of a diploma in astrophysics which is of 1.5 years.
- BSc in Astronomy
- BSc in Astrophysics
- B.Tech in relevant Engineering
- M.Tech (Astronomy and Space Engineering)
- MSc in Astronomy
- Ph.D. in Astrophysics
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science and Astrophysics
- Ph.D. in Astronomy
- Ph.D. in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Integrated M.Sc – Ph.D. in Physics and Astrophysics
- M.Tech and Ph.D. Integrated course in Astronomical Instrumentation
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai
FAQ’s on Astrophysics Course
Astronomy refers to the study of the movement of stars, planets, and planets. It is the study about the motion and pattern and properties of celestial bodies. Astrophysics refers to the study of how these movements of stars, planets, and heavenly bodies will affect our life on earth. Astronomy is the broader concept whereas astrophysics comes under astronomy.
Yes, an astrophysicist can become an astronaut if the organization decided to select that person based on his/her performance. Many astronauts put astrophysicists in their resumes as a study about stars, planets, and galaxies help them to pursue their goals.
Students have to take the JEST entrance exam for admission to college. The subjects include in JEST entrance exams are:
- Law of Thermodynamics
- Work and Heat
- Maxwell’s Relations
- Partition Function
- Statistics ensembles