Aeronautical Engineering Courses: Aeronautical Engineering is one of the most typical and most popular fields for students who desire to make their career in aircraft, airplanes, jet planes, and space shuttles. It is the in-depth study of “Aeronautics.” Aeronautics term has come from the ancient Greek word “Aer,” which means ‘Air’ and “Nautike,” which means ‘navigation of the air.’
Aeronautical engineering involves the study, design, and research of the machines or airplanes which move in the space and atmosphere of the earth. Aeronautical engineering is the best career-oriented field. It is one of the challenging fields of engineering. Aeronautical engineering deals with the technology and development in aviation, defense, and exploration system.
- Colleges Offering an Aeronautical Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering Qualification or Eligibility Criteria
- Aeronautical Engineering Entrance Exams
- Aeronautical Engineering Course Admission Process
- Aeronautical Engineering Fee Structure
- Aeronautical Engineering Courses Description
- Aeronautical Engineering Syllabus
- Aeronautical Engineering Work Profile
- Aeronautical Engineering Scope
- Aeronautical Engineering Job Profiles
- Salary offered to Aeronautical Engineering Candidates
- What is the essential requirement for aspirants of Aeronautical Engineering?
- What is the skill required to become an Aeronautical Engineer?
- What is the age of applicants?
- What is the duration of course?
About an Aeronautical Engineering Course
The course is a typical engineering-based course with a specialization in the domain of aerodynamics and aeronautics. It aims to equip bachelor’s students with sufficient knowledge and skills to transform them into qualified and trained aeronautical engineers. To keep up with these demands and supply. The qualified and trained professional is made in the domain according to the demand of the industry.
Aviation and aircraft industry is considered to be the sunrise sector in developing countries like India. Besides providing linkages and fast means of transportation, the aviation industry is also acting as a booster of economic growth by aiding other sectors of the economy. The duration of the Aeronautical Engineering course is four years as like the B Tech / B.E. course. Aeronautical Engineering course aims at plugging that demand and supply-gap in terms of trained and qualified aeronautical professionals. The course provides a domain-specific and industry-relevant knowledge to the students to make them capable of handling practical situations at the industry level.
The course is offered by various colleges/institutes across the country for the students who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examinations from a recognized state or central board with PCM as a subject of study.
We have a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
University and Average cost (per annum)
- Anna University Chennai – INR 103,000
- PEC University of Technology Chandigarh – INR102,500
- Manipal Institute of Technology Manipal – INR 3,52,500
- SRM University Chennai – INR 2,00,000
- SASTRA University Thanjavur – INR 1,22,500
- IIT Kharagpur – INR 2,20,000
- Acharya Institute of Technology Banglore – INR 204,000
- Jawahar Nehru Technological University Kakinada – INR 1,20,000
- Sathyabama University Chennai – INR 1,85,000
Candidate must have passed the 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central board with at least 70% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- He/She shall not be having any Supplementary or Compartment in any of the subject/subjects at 10+2 or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- An applicant’s age can be between 16 to 28 years at the time of admission.
- Candidate has good calculative, mathematical, and observation skills.
- Apart from the eligibility mentioned above, criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have additional criteria that the students would have to satisfy to take admission.
- In the case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities to avail of the benefits applicable to them.
- M.Tech Course Details
- Biomedical Engineering Courses
- Sound Engineering Courses
- Computer Science Engineering Courses
- Robotics Engineering Courses
- Most of the Institute gives admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like JEE Main, UPSEE). To get admissions in these institutes, candidates would qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
- Aeronautical Engineering exam for entrance can be through CET 2020 that offers admission in an Aircraft Engineering Course in one of the leading institutes approved by AICTE, Government of India. Based on CET 2020 All India Rank (AIR), students participate in counseling and confirm their admission in government-approved Aeronautical institutes.
- Aeronautical Engineering exam for entrance is of the objective pattern and is in Hindi & English medium both.
- The question paper consists of 90 questions, and each question carries four marks.
Some states and institutions/Universities also organizes its entrance exam to provide admissions
Top aeronautical colleges in India are listed below
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Bombay.
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Kharagpur.
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Madras.
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Kanpur.
Students need to appear in JEE Main 2020 to get admission into engineering courses. For admission to P.G. engineering courses like M.Tech, candidates have to appear in the GATE 2020 exam.
The student who had a B.Tech degree in electrical engineering, electronics engineering, or mechanical engineering can get admission in M.Tech with aeronautical engineering.
To get admission to the M.Tech program, the candidates must qualify the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE). Through this entrance test, students will be able to take admission in IITs or NITs regulating M.Tech in Aeronautical engineering.
For B.E. students majority of the Universities/Colleges conduct a standard entrance test for admission into B.E. courses (like BITS) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exams like JEE Main, UPSEE. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
After the counseling cum admission process, the final allotment of seats to the candidate occurs, and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
The Fee structure varies from universities to universities as the institutes are in different states of India, so there is a wide range of fees.
The fees can be paid to the institutes semester wise. The exact Aeronautical Course fee details can be seen on the official website of the Aeronautical colleges. There will be Education Loan facilities available for the students through the bank. The fees will be different for Indian and NRI students and relatively high for the NRI students.
The Aeronautical Engineering course duration is four years, which includes eight semesters. One semester out of the eight have practical training in the live environment and other semesters have academic sessions. In each academic session, there are approximately 6- 7 Aeronautical courses of Engineering subjects each semester, which student has to qualify to attain the B. Tech (Aeronautical Engineering) Degree. The syllabus covers all aspects of aeronautical engineering to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to undergraduate students.
The few core Aeronautical Engineering subjects are given below to provide the student with an idea of what they have to study after joining the course:
- Materials sciences
- Structural Analysis
- Fluid Dynamics
- Automatic Control and Guidance
- Aircraft Performance and Aircraft structures
Some specializations of aeronautical engineering are as the following:
- Electronic Systems
- Aerospace Propulsion
- Ground Vehicle Systems
- Aircraft Structures and Materials
- Structural Analysis
- Transportation Systems
- Aerodynamics and Fluid Dynamics
- Structural Design and Engineering
- Instrumentation And Communication
- Navigational Guidance and Control Systems
The Aeronautical Engineering work profile plays a vital role in the aviation sector. Aeronautical Engineering work profiles are mentioned below to provide an overview for the course: –
- Provide direction and coordination to the designing, manufacturing, and testing of an aircraft.
- Evaluate the proposal for a project if they are technically and financially feasible.
- Assess if the outcome of the project meets the goals that are defined earlier.
- Evaluate design to look that the products meet the engineering principles, environmental regulations, and customer requirements.
- Build the acceptance criteria for quality standard, design method, sustainment after delivery of project, and completion dates.
- Ensure that projects reach the quality standard, as defined in the proposal.
- If there is any damage to the product, identify the sources of problems and possible solutions for that.
The Aeronautical Engineering scope can apply in the following fields after completion of Aeronautical Engineering course: –
- Airlines: – Airlines is a company that provides air transport, which helps passengers to travel. The aeronautical engineer’s role is to use their technical knowledge to improve flight safety and fuel efficiency, reduce costs, and address the environmental impact of air travel.
- Aircraft Manufacturing Companies: – As the Aeronautics fields are related to the manufacturing of the aircraft’s, so they play an essential role in these organizations.
- Aircraft Part Manufacturing Companies: – This company builds the components of an aircraft to manufacture those components Aeronautical Engineers are appointed.
- Civil Defence Forces: – In defense, Aeronautical Engineering career can be in designing, manufacturing, and testing military weapons, aircraft, and missiles.
- Research Organizations:- Aeronautical Engineer builds their career in research organizations such as ISRO, NASA, DRDO, etc.
- Maintenance, Repair, and Overhauls (MRO) Industries: – They use their technicality to improve the specialized function performed in maintenance actions on aircraft and their components.
Aeronautical Engineering job profile is not only in the aviation industry but also in the Defense sector like Air Force. They can apply for the scientific and technological principles to research, construct, design, and test the performance of the civil and military weapons, aircraft, and missiles. Maintenance of these also comes under the Aeronautical Engineer job profile.
Aeronautical Engineer uses Computer Software like Computer-Aided Design (CAD) to develop the aircraft or related avionics. These branches also required specialization in Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and similar fields.
The commonly offered Aeronautical Engineering job profiles are as follows:-
- Aircraft Engineers: – Aircraft Engineers are involved in applying scientific and technological principles to research, development, and design of aircraft and their components.
- Thermal Design Engineer: -The job role of the thermal design systems and processes to convert generated energy from various thermal sources into chemical, mechanical, or electrical energy.
- Aircraft Production Manager: – Aircraft Production Manager has to keep an eye on the production in terms of quality, pricing, market analysis.
- Aerospace Design Checker: – Aerospace Design Checker’s role is to check whether the design of an aircraft and its components.
An aeronautical engineer earns the average salary in India between the 5lakh to 6 lakh per annum. It has an excellent opportunity to work in the government sector. The salaries in the government sector are decided as per the pay scale for the particular post.
Aeronautical engineering has a broad scope of getting high salaries by merging their skill and innovative ideas on one field.
A good academician background also triggers the career and salary.
It has a proper scope of careers Abroad also. You can get the initial package of $70000 to 100000 per annum in abroad.
FAQ’S on Aeronautical Engineering Courses
The basic requirements for the course that the students must have a good command of mathematics, physics, and chemistry. The students’ have a choice to choose the field after 10+2 science stream with a good percentage.
The Skills required to become an Aeronautical engineer are:
- Team working and communication skills
- Ability to think creative
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
- Time Management Skills
The age of an applicant can be between 16 to 28 years at the time of admission.
The Aeronautical Engineering course duration is four years, which includes eight semesters. One semester out of the eight have practical training in the live environment and other semesters have academic sessions.
We hope that the information mentioned above regarding an Aeronautical Engineering course will improve your understanding of the subject’s depth. If you have any queries feel free to ask us via the comment section and we will get back to you at the soonest possible.