Nutritionist Diploma Course: By definition, a nutritionist is a person who advises other people on matters of nutrition and food and their impacts on their health. Some people specialize in certain areas such as sports nutrition public health, or animal nutrition among all other areas. In many countries, a person can claim to be a nutritionist without even any education training or professional license.
People often confuse nutritionists with dieticians. Dietitians are professionals who have a university degree professional license and certification for professional practice. They are experts in identifying and treating disease-related malnutrition and in conducting medical nutrition therapy.
Keep reading the following article to know more about a nutritionist diploma course. The advantages of a diploma course in nutrition, the eligibility criteria, admission process, syllabus, top colleges, best books, fees, job options after completing a diploma nutritionist course, salary as a nutritionist in India. The article contains all this information under different headings. So let’s begin!
About Nutritionist Diploma Course
Nutrition is a field in medical science that aims on helping individuals keep themselves fit and healthy. There are various programs in this field that are offered at graduate as well as postgraduate levels. These programs cover various subjects such as human physiology and nutrients that are required by the body to remain fit and healthy and work in a proper condition.
Food technology and biochemistry are also very important parts of the programs. A diploma course to become a nutritionist enables the individuals to create a diet plan and help other people as well as the members of the organization to follow a proper diet to keep themselves healthy.
There are various opportunities in this field to work in the government in the private sector as well. The course duration of a diploma course to become a nutritionist can be somewhere between one year to three years. In the current situation, a career in the nutrition industry is one of the most in-demand career choices since the world needs knowledgeable people to guide them in the health department.
- Advantages of a Diploma Course in Nutrition
- Diploma in nutrition and dietetics eligibility
- Admission Process for Nutritionist Diploma Course
- Nutritionist Diploma Course Syllabus
- Diploma in Nutrition Colleges in India
- Best Books for Nutritionist Course in Diploma
- Certified Nutritionist Diploma Course Fees
- Job Profiles After Diploma Course in Nutrition & Dietetics
- Diploma Nutritionist Holders Salary Details
- FAQs on Diploma in nutrition and dietetics after 10th
There are multiple advantages to doing a diploma course in nutrition. Following are some of the advantages that the students get if they pass their diploma in nutrition:
- Serving society by advising people with a healthy lifestyle and hygienic food is always necessary. By completing or diploma course in nutrition people can work as skilled professionals to fulfill their duty towards their society and humankind.
- Today in this fast-paced world, everyone is so busy that they do not have time to think about their diet. In such cases, nutrition advisors are of utmost importance so that they can provide people with useful insights on how to manage their diet and nutrition in order to live a healthy life.
- If we talk about the research field, it is quite obvious that the development of new techniques is in process and there is a demand for the development of techniques of food intake that guarantee high nutritional values and people who are interested in this field can definitely provide their contribution in the research work.
- Candidates who have completed the diploma in nutrition can open their own diet clinics to help people plan their diet and stay healthy.
Following are the eligibility criteria for applying for the diploma in Nutrition & Dietetics Course 2022:
- The candidates that want to apply for an undergraduate diploma degree must have passed their class 12th from a recognized Board of Education With a minimum of 50% marks.
- The students who want to take admission to a 3-year diploma course must sit for a state-level entrance examination since admission toward 3-year diploma courses on the basis of the results of the state-level entrance examination.
- Students who want to pursue a postgraduate diploma in the field of nutrition must have an undergraduate level degree with a minimum of 45% marks.
- Direct admissions without entrance examinations of personal interviews are also possible at some institutes however most institutes do conduct a separate entrance exam for admission to a diploma course for becoming a nutritionist.
The admission to her nutritionist diploma course is done either on the basis of merit or on the basis of entrance examination results. Following are all the details of both kinds of admission process:
Entrance examination based admission:
- Colleges release applications days before the examination dates on their official websites and the registration process can be done just by filling out the right information on their forms.
- The candidates must fill up their genuine details and must have the required documents to prove them.
- At the time of the registration process, documents need to be submitted via scanning so that it gives the exact details of the candidates.
- The students must submit an application fee that will be submitted through modern digital payment modes.
- After the registration process, the candidates must download their admit card which will help them to get entry into the examination hall for the entrance exam.
- The students can prepare for the entrance examination using well-known editors’ reference books or they can also practice the previous year’s question papers.
- After 3 to 4 weeks of the examination results get declared. The qualified candidates can go forward with the admission process.
- After the candidates get selected, the counseling process starts. In the counseling process, priority is given to the students who have higher marks in the examination. During the counseling, the candidates can select their stream and the college.
- For direct admission, students need to register themselves as new applicant to the college that they want to get admitted to.
- The students must submit their application form along with the documents in a scanned format. The students must provide all the details correctly and must submit all documents in the correct manner.
- Students must submit the application fee which is a must for the registration process. The students must keep checking the official website of the college that they want to get admitted to for further admission details.
- The students can also submit the application form in an offline mode by visiting the admission cell of the college they want to get admitted. Candidates should carry their original documents to submit at the time of submitting the application form also, they must be ready to pay the admission fee.
- IGNOU Diploma Courses Details
- Diploma in Dietetics Course Overview
- PG Diploma in Nutrition and Dietetics Online Course
There are multiple subjects that are taught throughout the duration of the diploma course for becoming a nutritionist. Following are the most popular subjects that are taught you know diploma course for nutrition:
- Human Physiology
- Food and service management
- Food microbiology
- Post-harvest technology
- Family meal management
- Food preservation
- Food quality control
- Fundamental computer concepts and windows
- Food science
- Community nutrition
- Quality food services and physical facilities
- Principles of nutrition
- Environmental studies
There are various institutes all across the country that provide top-quality education in diploma courses related to nutrition. Following is a list of the best colleges for nutritionist diploma courses:
- AIIMS Delhi, Delhi
- CMC Vellore, Vellore
- Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
- Armed forces Medical College, Pune
- St Xavier’s College, Mumbai
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
- Sri Devaraj URS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Kolar
- Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai
Following are the top books that a student must refer to while they are doing their diploma course in nutrition:
- Public health nutrition – Judith L. Buttriss, Ailsa A. Welch, John M. Kearney
- Food science -B. Srilakshmi
- Food nutrition and health – Goyal Shashi & Gupta Pooja
- Introduction to nutrition and health research – Eunsook T. Koh, Willis L. Owen
The fee for a diploma in a nutrition course can rain somewhere between INR 5,000 to INR 2,00,000 per annum. The fee depends upon the college that the student is admitted. Course fee in private colleges is much higher than that of government colleges which is the case in almost all the courses.
With the increase in urbanization and medical problems amongst working individuals, the need for proper nutrition is increasing at a rapid rate. Dietitians and nutritionists are getting a lot of importance among the urban crowd as the young generation of the country are releasing the importance of a healthy diet and values of being fit poster hence the private nutritionists are earning a lot of money in tier one and Tier 2 cities.
Hospitals are also hiring professionals to consult with their patience a number of corporate companies hire nutritionists in order to keep their employees healthy and active following are the job profiles that are the most popular for nutritionists:
- Sports nutritionist
- Therapeutic dietician
- Food show host
- Administrative nutritionist
- Nutrition trainer
- Nutritional sales executive
The salary of a person working in the health care and nutrition department can be somewhere around INR 1,50,000 to INR 11,00,000 per annum. Following are the most popular job profiles along with their average salaries in INR:
- Food scientist – INR 4,00,000 to INR 6,00,000 per annum
- Professor – INR 9,00,000 to INR 10,00,000 per annum
- Nutrition specialist – INR 1,50,000 to INR 5,00,000 per annum
- Dietitian – INR 3,00,00 to INR 4,00,000 per annum
- Weight loss or gain advisor – INR 1,00,00 to INR 4,00,000 per annum
- Process development officer – INR INR 6,00,000 to INR 11,00,000 per annum
1. What is the difference between a nutritionist and a dietician?
The difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian is that a nutritionist mainly focuses on suggesting meal plans as per their nutritional values. The dietician on the other hand focuses on the health of the patient and plans accordingly. hey look at the patient’s health, the requirements of the patient’s body, and then suggest a healthy meal for them.
2. Can I pursue a diploma in nutrition course after class 10th?
No, you cannot pursue a diploma in nutrition after class 10th. The minimum eligibility criteria for enrolling in a diploma course for nutrition is that the student must have passed their class 12th from a recognized Board of Education with a minimum of 50% marks.
3. What are the career options after a diploma in nutrition?
A diploma in nutrition opens up multiple career options for the candidates. They can work in various private clinics, government and private hospitals, they can work as a teacher, health centers, research labs, food manufacturing industries, etc.
The above article contains all the information regarding the diploma in a nutrition course. All the important details are covered in separate paragraphs for a clear understanding of the nutritionist diploma course. We hope that you make an informed decision for yourself. All the best! If you need more assistance on this nutrition diploma course or any other course details do share with us via the comment section below.