Life Science courses: Our earth is full of various species of plants and animals, the ones who we know and the ones who are yet to be discovered. The science of studying various plants and animals is called Life science. It studies the various types of flora and fauna that exist on the land as well as in water.
Life science is the science of plants and animals that involves the study of their salient features, learning their importance in the ecosystem, their restoration, etc.
If you love biology as a subject or you are someone who is curious about the plants and animals that exist on this planet, then this article on Life Science courses is for you. In this article, we have covered various Life Science courses and also eligibility criteria, fees, top colleges, career options, and average salary. So let’s begin.
- What is Life Science? | Life Science Courses Meaning
- List of Life Science Courses in India
- B.Sc Life Science Courses
- M.Sc Life Science Courses List
- Top Life Science Colleges in India
- Life Science Courses Scope
- List of Life Science Courses Jobs Recruiters
- Life Science Course Salary in India
- FAQs on Life Science Courses Online
Life sciences are the course of study that involves learning about various plants and animals that exist on land and water. It expands the learning horizon of students regarding various flora and fauna that exists on our planet. With the increase in Global warming and deforestation, it has become immensely important to learn about various plants and animals, their role in the whole ecosystem, and devising the methods to protect them, this is where Life Science Courses come into action.
Life science courses not only make you fall in love with nature but also awestruck you with the hidden treasure of nature. The horizon of the course covers learning about the variety of plants and animals that are known and the ones that are still under the shadow.
Life Science courses are new career options that are being sought these days. Being an emerging field, not many options are available in life science courses. The courses available in Life Science are B.Sc.and M.Sc. Here is the detail of various life science courses available in India.
The duration of a full-time B.Sc in Life science is 3 years. The course is semester-based and divided into 6 semesters.
For being eligible to pursue B.Sc life Sciences, the candidate must have passed 10+2 from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% marks from the biology stream i.e. PCB. The minimum marks may vary from institute to institute based on the merit guideline.
The average fee for B.Sc in life science ranges from ₹10k to 1.5 lacs. However, the fee may vary depending upon the ranking and reputation of the institute.
- BSc Advanced Zoology
- BSc Biology
- BSc Genetics
- BSc Advanced Plant Biology
- BSc Cell Biology and Biostatistics
- BSc Ecology and environmental management
- BSc Mathematics for life science
- BSc Immunology and animal tissue culture
- BSc Genetic Engineering and plant tissue culture
- BSc Developmental Biology & Physiology
- BSc Biochemistry
- BSc Microbiology
- BSc Biotechnology
- BSc Bioinformatics
- BSc Biodiversity
Being a PG programme, the duration of a full-time Master in Life science is 2 years divided into 4 semesters.
The eligibility criteria for life science courses in MSc require that is candidate must have completed B.Sc in Life Science from the recognized university and must have scored a minimum of 50% marks in BSc. Additionally, the candidates are also required to qualify for the national entrance examination like CSIR-NET or the entrance exam of the institute as required.
The average fee for M.Sc in life science lies somewhere between 2.5 k to 6.25 lakh. However, the fee varies in private and government colleges. In private college, the fee varies between ₹18k to ₹6.2 lacs and in Government, college fee varies from ₹2.6k to ₹3 lacs.
- MSc Advanced Zoology
- MSc Advanced Plant Biology and Biotechnology
- MSc Medical Genetics and Genomics
- MSc Biostatistics
- MSc. Aquaculture & fisheries
- MSc Microbiology
- MSc Developmental Biology
- MSc Biochemistry
- MSc Bioinformatics
- MSc Industrial Microbiology
- MSc Biodiversity & Conservation
- MSc Medical Radiology
- MSc Genomics and Proteomics
To make a successful career in the profession of a dream, one is required to choose a college wisely. If you also want to enroll in the top colleges for pursuing a life science course, then here’s the list for you:
- Miranda House,
- Presidency College,
- PSGR Krishnammal College
- School of Life Sciences – Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
- Institute of Life Sciences, Bhubaneshwar
- Institute of Life Sciences – University of Hyderabad Campus Gachibowli, Hyderabad
- Rajiv Gandhi Center for Biotechnology, Trivandrum, Kerala
- University School of Biotechnology, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
- Animal Biotechnology Center, National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana
- Department of Biosciences, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- University of Delhi
The scope of life science is still emerging and so are the job options for the students of Life Sciences. The list of various career options after completing Life science courses is given below:
- Museum Educator
- Food Scientist.
- Scientific writer
- Research Scholar
- Biomedical Engineer
The top recruiters for Life Science courses offering various jobs include Biocon, nestle, Cadbury, etc. The list of the major recruiters for a life science course is given below:
- Agrotech food
- ANG Lifescience
- Britannia India Ltd.
- Sun Pharma
- Cadbury India Ltd.
- Nestle India Pvt. Ltd.
The average salary after Life science courses may lie between ₹1.5 lacs per annum to ₹12.5 lacs per annum. The average salary depends upon the role and experience of an individual. For example, the average salary of a Nutritionist lies between ₹3-12 lacs and that of an immunologist is between ₹6-12 lacs per annum.
1. What subjects are taught in life Science Courses?
Life science courses include subjects like Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Ecology, biodiversity, bioinformatics, etc.
2. Is Life Science a good career option?
Life sciences are comparatively a new career choice these days. Being a less crowded space, it offers endless opportunities, job security, and decent pay. So overall, life sciences is a good career option.
3. What exams are required for a Doctoral in Life Science?
The results are given below:
- ICAR AIEEA
- JEE Advanced
- CSIR UGC-NET
4. What are available Life Science Courses Online?
The list of free online life science courses with certificate of completion is given below:
- Ethics in Life Sciences and health care
- The policy of science, technology, and innovation
- Metabolomics in Life Science
- Gene editing application
This article on Life Science Courses introduces you to various course details at various levels. It also covers other important information like eligibility criteria, duration, and fees related to the course.
To provide you with the full information related to careers in life sciences, we have also included top recruiters and career options available. Still, if you have any queries, comment down below. Stay tuned to our website for more insightful course details articles.