Banking jobs have the highest demand in India. There is tough competition for the post of Investment banker post nowadays as it has good career growth and best salary. This is the right time for the students who are in 12th grade to choose an investment banker job as a career. But you have the question in mind how to become an investment banker in India? If our guess is correct, need not worry this is the place where you can find the complete details to become an investment banker such as course details, education qualifications, age limit, skills required, pay scale, types of investment bankers in India from this page.
An investment banking industry is related to financial services. The activity of investment banking may be on the sell-side or buy-side. Get the details of the top 10 colleges to become an investment banker in India here.
- What does an Investment Banker do?
- What is the role of Investment Bankers? | Role of IB in India
- How to become an Investment Banker in India?
- What to study to become an Investment Banker in India? | Investment Banking Courses
- Entrance Exams to Join MBA to become Investment Bankers in India
- Top 10 Colleges in India to become Investment Bankers
- Reference Books to Become Investment Banker
- Types of Investment Bankers
- Skills Required to Become an Investment Banker in India
- Salary of an Investment Banker – Fresher, Experience, Specialization
- What is the average salary of an investment banker in India?
- Is it hard to become an investment banker in India?
- What qualifications do you need to become an investment banker?
An investment banker has a lot of responsibilities with a good salary. IB’s are the in-charge of building an association Initial Public Offering (IPO). They are responsible for negotiating mergers, arranging private placement of bonds and bond offerings. An investment banker helps the company with expansion and improvement.
An investment banker is the one who helps the companies and governments to raise capital by releasing stocks or borrowing money. They help to save money and time for their investors by identifying the risks with the project. The roles and responsibilities of the investment bankers are given below,
- Supporting clients or customers with pricing their financial instruments.
- It includes supporting clients with mergers and acquisitions and advising them on where and how to invest.
- Fixing stock price to allow investors to invest money in the stocks and raise funds for the growth of the company.
- Tax planning will help the companies with the preparation of their tax returns.
- Manage relations
- Sales work
- Investment planning
- The candidates who aspire to become investment banker must join the related course after the 12th.
- Studying for the entrance exams related to finance like CAT, MAT, CMAT, XAT helps you to choose the best college to complete the course and get the certificate.
- Search for the best investment banking institution where you can learn the core of the investment.
- The selection of the best college will be based on the placements, location, fees, faculty, etc.
- The Bachelor’s degree related to finance and mathematics and Charted financial analyst (CFA) also helps you to become an investment banker. The duration of this course is 3 years.
- In order to become an investment banker in India, the aspirant should have completed MBA in finance.
- Complete the selection process successfully and attend the interview. If you impress the selection committee with your performance then you will be selected for the post of an investment banker.
The candidates who wish to become investment bankers must complete 12th class. After that candidates are required to join the bachelor’s degree related to the commerce section in any recognized institution. The aspirants must qualify with a good percentage. Here we provide some of the Investment Banking Courses details that will be helpful for you to become the IB in India.
- B. Com Accounting and Finance
- BBA Finance
- BBA Marketing
- BBA Supply Chain and Logistics
- BA in Economics
- B.Com accountancy
- BBA Banking and Insurance
- MBA Finance
- MA Economics
- Master of Marketing technology
- M.Sc in Banking and Finance
- Master of Finance and Control
- Master of Investment and Financial Analysis
- Master of Banking, Finance, and Insurance
After completing any of these bachelor’s courses the candidates can go for further education at the master’s level. For that, the aspirants must score top in the entrance exams for pursuing the MBA. The following are the entrance exams for pursuing MBA.
- School of Management Studies, Delhi
- Keshav Mahavidyalaya, Delhi University
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, Delhi University
- Indian College of Business, Hyderabad
- Lala Lajpat Rai College of Communication & Economics, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Ahmedabad
- MICA, Ahmedabad
Below we have provided the list of the best books to read to become an investment banker in India.
- The best book on Investment Banking Careers, Donna Khalife, Hyperlink publications.
- The Man who solved the Market, Gregory Zuckerman, Penguin publications
- Investment Banking: Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts and Mergers, and Acquisition, Joshua Rosenbaum, Joshua Pearl, Wiley publications.
- Middle-market M&A, Kenneth H. Marks, Robert T. Slee, Christian W. Blees, Michael R. Nall, Wiley publications.
- Financial Modeling and Valuation, Paul Pignataro, Wiley publications.
Let us discuss the types of investment bankers in this section.
|Type of Investment Banker||Job Description|
|Credit Manager||A credit manager is responsible for working with a company to manage and supervise credit management and make decisions keeping credit limits|
|Financial Planner||A financial planner is responsible for collecting all the information about the clients like identification documents. It works on several factors such as budgeting, investments, tax planning, insurance coverage, savings for retirement, etc.|
|Accountant||The accountant is responsible to make sure that the organization does not go excessive expenses and deplete its treasury. The job role of the accountant can change the status of the company.|
|Financial Advisor||A financial advisor is the one who suggests to the clients where to use the money and helps create a plan to reach one’s financial goals. They help the client to save and invest the money for the future.|
|Certified Management Accountant||Certified Management Accountant is also known as CMA. It is similar to the chartered accountant. They are responsible for financial planning, analysis and decision support.|
|Account Manager||The role of an account manager is to deal with the clients directly. He/She makes the relationships with the clients.|
The qualities to become a good investment banker are given below,
- Analytical skills
- Basic finance knowledge
- Basic Computer skills excel, ppt, word, etc because most of the work will be done on the MS-Excel, PPTs.
- Mathematical skills
- Arranging private placements
- Numerical ability
- Ability to work as a team
- Management skills
- Communication skills
The estimated salary of intern, junior and senior investment bankers are shown in the below table.
|Investment Banker Job and Salary|
|Starting salary||Rs. 20,000|
|Average salary||Rs. 25,000|
|Junior Investment Banker|
|Starting salary||Rs. 50,000|
|Average salary||Rs. 65,000|
|Senior Investment Banker|
|Average salary||Rs. 250000|
|Starting salary||Rs. 120000|
|Junior Level Salary||Rs. 120000|
|Senior Level Salary||Rs. 500000|
FAQs on how to become an IB in India
An investment manager in India can earn 10 to 30 lakhs based on their performance and the company they are working with.
Yes, it is one of the toughest jobs in the country. The aspirants must work hard after 10th class to become an IB in India.
There is no specific course to become an investment but it will be an advantage if you join the course related to business, economics, finance, CA.
We wish the gathered information about joining the investment banker job is beneficial for you to reach your goals. Stay tuned to us if you want to get more information about “How to become an investment banker in India”. For any queries, people can post their doubts in the comment section. We will go through it and clarify them as soon as possible.