Do you want to know how to become a ship captain in India After 12th? If your answer is yes, then what are you waiting for, You are on the right page to get complete guidance on how to become a ship captain in merchant navy. We know that most of the people will have a dream to work for the nation like military and navy. But it is not an easy task you need to work hard and choose the right career path to fulfill your dreams.
Students have to appear in the entrance examinations conducted by the Indian Maritime University to complete the required courses to become the captain of the ship. After completing all the necessary courses candidates can apply for merchant navy jobs. Get the information on how to become a captain of a ship in Indian Navy like course details, eligibility, age limit, and ship captain salary in India from here.
- Responsibilities of a Ship Captain
- Eligibility Criteria to Become a Ship Captain – Educational Requirements, Age Limit & Nationality
- Entrance Exams to Join Merchant Navy Course
- Which Courses are opted to become a Ship Captain in India?
- Top Colleges that offer Merchant Navy Training and Course
- Steps to Become Ship Captain in India | How to Become a Captain of a ship in India?
- Recruiting Companies for Ship Captain in India
- Pay Scale of Ship Captain | Salary for Ship Captain in india
- How long does it take to become a ship captain?
- What should I study to become a ship captain?
- Do I need a degree to be a captain?
The commanding officer of a ship is called ship captain. He/she play a crucial role in the merchant navy. He is responsible for exporting and importing the activities, management of goods and services in rivers, lakes, seas, and other coastal areas. They are responsible for harmless and systematic ship operations.
Students who want to join as ship captains must satisfy the eligibility criteria like educational qualifications, age limit, and nationality. Eligibility criteria are the primary thing to become a ship captain in India. Know the requirements before you apply for the captain of a ship post.
- Educational Requirements: The primary thing is that students must have passed the 10+2 examination with minimum qualifying marks. After you have to qualify for the entrance exams and complete a bachelor’s degree or other relevant degrees like diploma course in Maritime Engineering with at least 65% marks from any authorized university. The course duration of a Bachelor’s degree is 4 years and the course duration of a diploma is 2 years.
- Age Limit: The minimum age for the applicant must be 18 years and must not exceed 25 years.
- Nationality: The candidate must be an Indian citizen
To join any graduation course like UG and PG students have to write the entrance examinations conducted by the board. Some universities also conduct separate entrance tests to check the eligibility of the student. Here we have provided the list of the entrance test conducted by the universities and education board in this section.
- JEE Advanced
- MERI Entrance Exam
- TMI SAT
- Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test (IMU – CET)
- Indian Maritime University (IMU)
- All India Merchant Navy Entrance Test
Subjects to prepare to get qualified in the entrance exams for Merchant Navy are mathematics, chemistry, physics, English, General Aptitude, General Knowledge, Merchant Navy Subjects like Naval Architecture, Environmental Science, Marine Auxiliary, Marine Electrical Technology, etc.
- Merchant Navy Courses
- How to become a Navy Officer in India
- How to become Air Traffic Controller in India
Students who are interested to become a ship captain must have studied any of the below Bachelor’s degrees in:
- Marine Transportation
- Marine Engineering Systems
- Marine Engineering
- Shipyard Management
- Maritime operations and technology
- Logistics and intermodal transportation
Top colleges that offer navy courses to become captain of a ship are given below. Select the college based on your rank in the entrance exam and location.
- Tolani Maritime Institute (TMI)
- B.P. Marine Academy Navi, Mumbai
- Coimbatore Marine College (CMC), Coimbatore
- International Maritime Institute (IMI), Delhi
- Vels Academy of Maritime Studies Chennai
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training (MANET), Pune
- SCI Maritime Training Institute, Kolkata
- Institute of Technology & Marine Engineering (ITME), Kolkata
- TS Rahaman, Mumbai
- Indian Maritime University (IMU), Chennai
- RL University of Nautical Science, Madhurai
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Mumbai
- Indian Maritime University (IMU), Vizag
- Indian Maritime University (IMU), Kochi
- Chennai School of Ship Management
- Amer Maritime Training Academy, Kanpur
- Centre for Maritime Education & Training, Lucknow
- Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training Pre-Sea Training Center, Chennai
It is not easy to become the captain of the ship in India in the merchant navy, you need to work hard after completing the 10th standard by selecting the right course. We have provided the steps to become a ship captain in India.
Step 1: First you have to join the merchant marine academy to get promoted to captain.
Step 2: Knowledge of water transport, license, and experience.
Step 3: Qualifying the entrance exams and completing the bachelor’s degree with 4 years duration in maritime engineering, passing drug tests, and medical examination.
Step 4: Apply for the ship captain post and complete the selection procedure to get selected for the post of captain of the ship.
Some of the top companies that hire the aspirants for the post of a ship captain in the merchant navy are Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC), Visakhapatnam Port, Poompuhar Shipping, Garware Offshore Services Ltd, etc.
The salary for a ship captain depends on the aspirant’s experience and skills. A ship captain will get a good salary of around Rs. 5,00,000 to Rs. 8,00,000 per annum. He/she may get more pay packages if they are well experienced.
FAQs on How to Become a Ship Captain in India
To become the captain of a ship in India candidates must have the captain’s license from the federal maritime authority. It takes around 10 years to get the license from the authority.
Students who wish to become a ship captain must study bachelor’s degree in maritime engineering.
Depending up on the position the candidates should have a bachelor’s degree from a merchant marine academy.
Students after completing all the academic qualifications can apply for the ship captain in India. Know more about how to become a ship captain in India from this article. We hope all the guidelines presented here are beneficial for you. Keep in touch with our site ncertbooks.guru to get the latest updates on all Aviation and Navy jobs.