How to Become a R.J. in India: R.J. or Radio Jockey is a promising yet challenging career for music lovers. An R.J. holds spontaneous, friendly, euphonious, and charming personalities with a strong command over the language. Radio Jockey is all about voice and words on-air with a signature style.
In 1999, experiments regarding the production of interactive shows on the radio over the traditional ones were created. Early Indian Radio personalities were commonly referred to as ‘radio announcers’; however, with the evolution of time, a successful Radio Jockey is an equal match to a celebrity. Today, India sees the emergence of dozens of R.J. career prospects.
- Skillset Required for R.J in India
- Types of R.J. Courses
- Eligibility Criteria of a R.J in India
- Radio Jockey Admission Process
- Radio Jockey Course Curriculum
- Top Radio Jockey Institutions
- Career Prospects for RJ in India
- Employment Opportunities for RJ in India
- Job Profiles of R.J. in India
- Top Recruiters of R.J. in India
- Pay Scale Package of R.J. in India
- What is the skill set required as an R.J.?
- What are the career prospects of R.J.s in India?
- What are the cons of being an R.J.?
A Brief on Radio Jockey (R.J.)
A Radio Jockey hosts talk shows on the radio. R.J. entertains, provides information, and guides the listeners through a radio program. The primary role of a Radio Jockey is to communicate with the listeners via calls, online chat, or email, through engaging content.
R.J.s should have the knack to present new ideas, concepts, and should have a euphonious personality. He/she should have control over the communication powers, language skills, and avoid inhibitions.
Radio Jockey require vital skills sets that bridge the formal education. A few required skillsets as an R.J. are:
- Should hold a euphonious voice
- Should have an accurate diction
- Always make use of precise punctuation
- Should have power over language and fluency
- Should be creative in ideas and concepts
- Should possess a great sense of humor
- Must hold control of voice pitches
- Diploma in Radio Programming and Broadcast Management (DRPM)
- Diploma in Radio Production and Radio Jockeying (D.R.J.)
- Post Graduation Diploma in Radio and Broadcast Management (PGDM)
- Certificate Course in Radio Jockeying (C.R.J.)
- Certificate Course in Radio Production Programme
- Certificate Course in Announcing, Broadcasting, Comparing and Dubbing
Diploma in Radio Programming and Broadcast Management (DRPM)
This is the Diploma level of course study. To deem eligible, candidates should have secured a minimum aggregate in their class 12 examination in any discipline from any authorized and recognized Institution or equivalent. The course duration for Diploma in Radio Programming and Broadcast Management is one year.
Diploma in Radio Production and Radio Jockeying (D.R.J.)
This is the Diploma level of course study. To deem eligible, candidates should have secured a minimum aggregate in their class 12 examination in any discipline from any authorized and recognized Institution or equivalent. The course duration for Diploma in Radio Production and Radio Jockeying is one year.
Post Graduation Diploma in Radio and Broadcast Management (PGDM)
This is the Diploma/P.G. level of course study. To deem eligible, candidates should have secured a minimum aggregate in their class 12 examination and Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline from any authorized and recognized Institution or equivalent. The course duration for Post Graduation Diploma in Radio and Broadcast Management is two years.
Certificate Course in Radio Jockeying (C.R.J.)
This is a certification course study. To deem eligible, candidates should have secured a minimum aggregate in their class 12 examination in any discipline from any authorized and recognized Institution or equivalent. The course duration for Certificate Course in Radio Jockeying is six months.
Certificate Course in Radio Production Programme
This is a certification course study. To deem eligible, candidates should have secured a minimum aggregate in their class 12 examination in any discipline from any authorized and recognized Institution or equivalent. The course duration for Certificate Course in Radio Production Programme is six months.
Certificate Course in Announcing, Broadcasting, Comparing and Dubbing
This is a certification course study. To deem eligible, candidates should have secured a minimum aggregate in their class 12 examination in any discipline from any authorized and recognized Institution or equivalent. The course duration for Certificate Course in Announcing, Broadcasting, Comparing, and Dubbing is six months.
To enroll in any institution for any of the Radio Jockey courses mentioned above, candidates must meet the eligibility criteria:
- The minimum qualification criteria for any Diploma and Certificate courses in Radio Jockeying is a minimum aggregate mark in 1+2 standard from any recognized board/institution.
- The minimum qualification criteria to be met for any Diploma and Certificate courses in Radion Programming and Broadcast Management is a bare minimum of 60 percent aggregate in any Bachelor’s Degree from any discipline.
Note: However, candidates must present all original documents, certificates, and mark sheets at the time of admission.
The Admission process for Radio Jockey courses varies from one institution to another. However, there are two primary pathways- The Direct Admission and The Entrance Exam Admission. Certain institutions follow the Direct Admission procedure, whereas a few others conduct Entrance Examinations as an entry mode for Admissions.
Direct Entry Admissions: Several institutions and universities in India follow the Direct Admission Entry Admissions. Through the Direct Admission Process, candidates are selected based on their aggregate marks secured in the intermediate examination. To complete the Admission Process, candidates have to apply for the University or College.
Entrance Exam Entry Admissions: The Entrance Examination Entry Admission Process is the second selection pathway for Radio Jockey Courses. In this Admission pathway, candidates are selected based on the minimum aggregate secured in the Entrance Examinations conducted by the Institution.
To complete the Admission process, candidates must follow the below-mentioned process:
- Candidates must apply to any university/ college that provides Radio Jockey courses.
- Followed by this, the Institution will offer the candidates with an Entrance Examination schedule.
- Following the Entrance Exams results, the Institution or college will release the cut-off or merit list with the eligible candidates’ names.
- Candidates qualified through the merit lists are eligible to get enrolled for Radio Jockey courses.
Radio Jockey Entrance Examinations
The Entrance Examinations for any of the Radio Jockey Courses are facilitated and conducted by the Encompass Institute of Radio Management. However, certain institutions or universities conduct their screening tests and voice tests in the case of Certification courses such as:
- X.I.C. Online Entrance Test
- IIMC Entrance Exam for Post-Graduation Diploma (P.D.G.) in Radio & T.V. Journalism
- A.J.K. Mass Communication Entrance Test
Whether Radio Jockey Certificate, Diplome, Undergrad, or Postgrad, the course curriculum holds common at all Institutions and Universities. The course curriculum for Radio Jockey Courses are as follows:
- Non-Commercial Educational Radio and Commercial Educational Radio
- Console Training
- Voice Technique
- Console System and Radio Broadcast
- Music Programming
- Live Break Training
- Transmission System- H.D. Radio
Certain Media and Mass Communication Institutions offer Radio Jockey Courses as a part of their course curriculum.
- Asian College of Journalism, Chennai
- Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Indian Institution of Mass Communication, Delhi
- Indian Institution of Journalism and New Media, Bangalore
- St. Xaviers College, Mumbai
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication, Pune
- Manorama School of Communication, Kottayam
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Christ University, Bangalore
As a start, candidates can look for an internship with the All India Radio (A.I.R.). The A.I.R. conducts every three months to introduce and train interns to radio technology/audio.
Radio Jockeys have an enormous career scope in government sectors as well as private sectors Aspirants are recruited based on their skill and abilities such as accurate pronunciation, command over the language and vocabulary, clear diction, and voice modulation. However, here are a few organization based career prospects:
Government Sector: Radio Jockeys can get employed in Government- firms like A.I.R., state-wise radio stations, and other radio stations. In Government sectors, radio Jockeys experience several benefits and opportunities and are provided with a high pay package. They are insured with benefits such as perquisites, retirement plans like superannuation fund, gratuity, pension, etc., and allowances with stable job security that remain absent in most to all private sectors.
Private Sector: The private sector provides many opportunities for aspirants in companies like Big FM, Radio Mirchi, Times FM, Radio Mid-Day, Radio Star, and many other independent Radio stations. Radio Jockeys working in the private sector experience a competitive environment, get an excellent pay package, incentives, etc. The working environment in a government sector lacks a competitive front like those in the private sector as the government sector is established with permanent fulfill business objectives.
Apart from textbook methods, qualifications, and eligibility criteria. An R.J. acquires specific skills and traits. After meeting the required skills and qualifications. An R.J. is applicable for several positions and roles that match their personality, attributes, and skills. An R.J. career is diversifying in nature and here are a few Job profiles, that a qualified R.J. can take up:
- Sports Talk Radio Jockeys
- FM/AM Radio Jockeys
- Satellite Radio Jockeys
- Talk Radio Jockeys
- On-Air Personalities
- News Reader
- Music Director
- Station Manager
- Production Director
The most popular F.M. Agencies or Radio Stations in the country for Radio Jockeys are as follows:
- All India Radio
- Times FM
- Radio Mid-day
- Radio Star
- Radio Wani
- Big F.M. 92.7
- Radio Mirchi 98.3
- Radio Mango 91.9
- Club FM 94.3
- Red FM 93.5
- 104 Fever FM
- Other independent radio stations
Due to an increasing rate of private radio waves in the area, there appears to be a high demand rate for Radio Jockeys. A fresher in the field earns around Rs 7,000/- and Rs 15,000/- per month, depending on the recruited company.
The pay scale for an R.J. increases with time and experience, and an individual can earn Rs. 2,500 – Rs. 3,000 per show. An experienced R.J. earns up to Rs 1.5 lakhs to Rs. 2 lakhs per month, depending on the company and the show.
Besides the earning of the contracted money, R.J.S. can also add to their payscale through Advertising Ads. Voice-over roles for Radio ads and Television ads can be an added payscale advantage as n R.J.
FAQ’s on How to Become a R.J. in India
Aspiring candidates must hold the following skillset: should hold a euphonious voice and an accurate diction, should make use of precise punctuation and must have control of voice pitches. They should have power over language and fluency, be creative in concepts and ideas, and possess a great sense of humor.
Radio Jockeys have an enormous career scope in government sectors as well as private sectors. R.J.s can work as announcers music directors, producers, talk show jockeys, sports talk show jockeys, etc. with a payscale fluctuating between INR 10,000 to INR 2.5 Lakhs per month with time and experience.
At times playing the role of a Radio Jockey can require consistent hard work and evolves into a very stressful and demanding profession. The starting pay scale for a fresher is very low and bleak. As a fresher, you have to host shows leading to weird working hours.
We hope that the information mentioned above regarding How to Become an R.J. in India has helped improve your understanding of the subject with in-depth knowledge.