How to Become A Biologist In India?: Biology is a field of study of life that falls under the natural sciences. Life is studied in its environment as well as its interactions with other living organisms. Biology has become an integral part of regular schooling. Biology courses are available at all educational institutions worldwide. Biology is one of the most popular specialty areas in the field since biologists analyze the structure, origin, growth, function, and distribution of living organisms.
In addition to classifying and describing organisms, a biologist will also explain how species form. Science has emerged as one of the most dominant areas in modern times as biology has become the most dominant field. Students should therefore focus on pursuing a career in biology.
Refer to Course Details to know more about related courses and find details like Admission Process, Eligibility Criteria, etc.
- Role and Responsibilities of a Biologist
- Eligibility Criteria for Becoming a Biologist
- Entrance Exams for the Biologist
- Scope for Biologists
- FAQ’s on How to Become a Biologist in India?
As one of the most important figures in the scientific community, a biologist plays a crucial role. Despite the wide variety of biology specialties, most of the tasks and responsibilities are similar across them. Here is an overview of the professional responsibilities and duties of a biologist.
- Exploring or experimenting in biologically relevant areas
- Study subjects by designing experiments or observing them from different perspectives
- Experiments or observations are facilitated using company assets
- Maintain a faithful and accurate backup of all data
- Ensure all data are interpreted objectively in a bias-free manner
- Publish or distribute consolidated findings at the management or publication level
- Request retesting of findings
- Participate in larger projects with other biologists
The following eligibility criteria must be met by anyone interested in biological research:
For Undergraduate Course
- Applicants for the program must have completed Class 10+2 with science including Biology as one of their compulsory subjects.
- Students should complete their higher secondary education with a recognized board.
- Candidates must have achieved at least 50% in their higher secondary education.
- For all other courses except for Biomedical Engineering (BE), there is no specific entrance test.
For Postgraduate Course
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in the same field from an authorized university or institute in order to pursue higher studies.
- A minimum mark of 55% is required for candidates to pass their bachelor’s degree.
For Doctorate Programme
- Candidate should have earned their Masters degree in Biology from an accredited university in order to be considered for admission to a PhD / M.Phil program.
- In order to take Doctoral level admission, one must score between 60 % and 65%.
- How to become A Doctor in India
- How to become an Eye Doctor in India
- How to become a Biomedical Engineer in India
- How to become a Biotechnologist in India
There is a relevant entrance exam for every course offered in IndiAnswer: The entrance exam will be open to applicants with a science background and who intend to pursue higher learning in a relevant field. The government organizes several entrance exams at the state and national levels each year. Direct admission to some universities is also offered for biologists. Most biologists take these entrance tests:
- AIIMS – All India Institute of Medical Science
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Graduate School Admission Exam
- IIT JAM – All Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admissions Test for M.Sc
- ICAR AIEEA PG Entrance Exam
- JNU CEEB Combined Biotechnology Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Entrance Test
- Banaras Hindu University Post Graduate Entrance Test
The government sector offers good job prospects for biologists. Private companies also have good opportunities for career advancement. A biologist’s role can be divided into the following areas:
- Environmental Management and Conservation
- Education Sector (Lecturer or Teacher)
- Science Museums
- Pharmacy Companies
- Zoo, Aquariums, Parks and Nature Centres
- Chemical Manufacturing Units
The role of the biologist in the modern world is critical. Studying both the effects of the environment on animals as well as humans is part of their job. The roles that biologists play vary considerably depending on the type of biologist they are. It is important that a biologist is an excellent analyst, understands biology deeply, and is comfortable interacting with others.
What types of jobs are available to biologists?
Many jobs require biologists. Biologists can pursue the following careers once they have acquired the required skills.
- Biomedical Engineer
- Environmental Scientist
- Food Scientist
- Forensic Scientist
Which are the top recruitment agencies for biologists in India?
Various jobs are available in the industry for skilled biologists. Here is a list of the top companies that recruit biologists.
- BIOCON, Inc.
- Serum Institute of India Ltd.
- Jubilant Life Sciences Ltd.
- Syngene International Ltd.
- Biological E.
- Nuziveedu Seeds
- AstraZeneca Pharma India Ltd.
- Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Company
- Bharat Biotech
- GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
What is the salary of a biologist?
Biologists earn a good salary in various sectors. Researchers and biologists with high skill and experience usually receive higher pay. A typical salary can range from Rs. 3,30,000 to Rs. 10,00,000 per annum, depending on their experience and job profile.