Food Science Courses: Food science is a scientific course that deals with food and other science of food-related fields. The courses include all types of science-related fields such as food chemistry, food physics, microbiology, preservation, food nutrition, food analysis, etc.
If you are keenly interested in the new techniques of food and its technological fields then food science is a good career option. You can easily pursue your degree in food science as there are several specializations available. There are numerous universities that are offering degree courses in food science.
Thus, to know more about food science courses and their related aspects we are here to help you in a detailed manner. Read the below article to get complete information on eligibility, jobs, career scope, and more.
- Everything About Food Science Courses
- Online Food Science Courses Eligibility
- List of Food Science and Technology Courses under B.Sc, Masters, Doctoral
- Skills Required for Food Science Courses Online
- Top Food Science Courses Colleges List in India
- Food Science and Technology Courses Syllabus
- Career Scope After Completing Food Science Streams
- Job Prospects in Food Sciences
- Top Recruiters that Hire Food Scientists in India
- Salary For Food Scientists
- Are Food science and food technology related?
- Is food science a good career?
- What are the job profiles offered after food science courses in India?
- What are the top entrance exams for a food science course degree?
The main role which food science teaches to food scientists is to study the safety, production, and nutrition of the foods. The course also teaches you about new flavors, and foods, and identifies the products that will be popular with consumers in the market.
Food science is an important course for the world as without the proper functioning of quality food in the market the economy will not grow in any terms. The field is extremely research-oriented which one needs to understand while studying it.
The courses create professionals who will later work in hospitals, catering establishments, restaurants, food processing companies, and other domains. Food science also involves the process related to the methodologies for the reduction of time and cost while maintaining nutrients and quality of food. The food scientists ensure that the food is safe and does not have any risk of contamination.
The eligibility criteria for the food science degree may vary. Here is a glimpse of a few points related to eligibility criteria for food sciences:
- Must have studied science in XII from a recognized board or university.
- Must have cleared class XII with a minimum of 50% marks.
- The important subjects for class 10+2 are Physics, Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry, or Home Science
List of Food Science and Technology Courses under B.Sc, Masters, Doctoral
To hold a bachelor’s degree in food science only you have to complete class 12th with the required percentage. There are various domains available for a food science degree. You can choose the best suitable for you.
B.Sc Food Science Courses After 12th
- B.E. in Food Technology and Bio-Chemical Engineering
- B.E. in Food Technology
- B.sc(Hons.) in Food Science and Technology
- BSc food technology
- B. Tech. in Food Science
- B.Sc in Food Science
- BTech Food Technology
- B.sc(Hons.) in Food Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Food Processing Technology
- B.sc Food Science and Quality Control
Masters in Food Science
- M.Tech. in Food Technology
- M.Tech in Food Technology
- M.E. in Processing and Food Engineering
- M.A. in Food Nutrition
- MTech in Food Engineering and Technology
- MTech in Food Biotechnology
- M.Sc. in Food Science and Technology
- M.Sc. in Microbial and Food Technology
- MSc Food Technology
- M.E. in Food Technology
- M.Tech in Food and Nutrition
Doctoral Degree in Food Science
- Ph.D. in Food Technology
- Ph.D. in Agriculture and Food Security
- Ph.D. in Food Science and Technology
- Ph.D. in Food and Dairy Technology
- Ph.D. in Food Biotechnology
- Ph.D. in Food Engineering and Technology
For every course some skills are necessary, the same goes for food science courses. You must hold a few exceptional skills to be an advanced food science degree holder. With the help of these subtle skills, you can make a difference.
Food science requires you to have a strong approach in academics as well as in a practical sense.
- Sound Technical Knowledge
- Interest in Food microbiology
- Interest in Health and Nutrition
- Scientific & Analytical Reasoning ability
- Problem-Solving Ability
- Knowledge of Food Chemistry
- Excellent Organizational Skills
- Research Skills
- Time Management
- Interest in Food Science
- Consumer Market Awareness
Some top colleges which are offering food science courses in India are as listed below:
- MIT ADT University
- Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi
- Gautam Buddha University, Delhi
- Galgotias University, Noida
- Harcourt Butler Technical University, Kanpur
- Lovely Professional University, Chandigarh
- Indian Institute of Food Technology
- Laxminarayan Institute of Technology, Nagpur
- JMI New Delhi – Jamia Millia Islamia
- SRM University Chennai – SRM Institute of Science and Technology
- LPU Jalandhar – Lovely Professional University
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- BHU Varanasi – Banaras Hindu University.
The syllabus for all the food science courses is not the same. It varies according to the degree chosen and in college. However, a few important topics related to food science have been mentioned here. So you can have a glimpse about them:
|Principles of Food Science|
|Introduction to Food Technology|
|Technical Writing in English/ Computational Techniques|
|Principles of Food Preparation|
|Technology of Cereals, Pulses, and Oilseeds|
|Food Processing and Engineering|
|Food Quality Management.|
|The technology of Meat, Poultry & Eggs|
|Technology of Dairy and SeaFood|
|Food Quality Testing and Evaluation|
|Mathematics and Statistics|
|The technology of Fruits Vegetables and Plantation Crops|
|Introduction to Biology|
|Foundations of Food & Nutrition|
After the completion of a bachelor’s degree in food science, you can go for the further studying process such as a master’s and then later for the doctoral degree. But if you are no longer interested in studying then you have ample job opportunities for you. You can take the food industry to another level using your unique ideas and techniques.
You have opportunities to work in both government and private sectors. There are various high-profile domains available for you. Thus, the career scope in food science is so high that once you get indulged in it you will love your job roles.
There are several opportunities available for food science degree holders. You can work as:
- Managers and Accountants
- Organic Chemist
- Research Scientist
- Food Product Development Director
- Food Engineer
- Quality Controller
- Lab Technician
- Home Economist
- Food Inspector
Some top recruiting firms for the food science degree holders are
- Nestle India Pvt. Ltd
- Parle Products PVT Ltd
- Hindustan Liver Limited
- ITC Limited
- Dabur India Ltd
- Cadbury India
- ITC Limited
- Nestle India
- Britannia Industries Ltd
- MTR Foods Limited
- PepsiCo India Holdings
- Godrej Industrial Limited
- Milk Food
- Agro Tech Foods
The experienced graduate can earn around 1 lakh per month. But for the freshers, the expected salary is not so less. You can earn around Rs 40,000 to 60,000 per month easily.
FAQs on Food Science Courses in India
Food science is a broader term. Food Technology is one of the applications of food science which later deals in the processing, packaging, preservation, distribution, selection, and use of safe food.
The Food Science degree will provide you with amazing opportunities in the near future. Demand for the food sciences and its related domains has been increasing rapidly. Thus, there are companies who are offering high salaries for food science degree holders. You will also get a chance to work with a winery, bakery industry, flavor development, meat processing, milk processing industry, etc.
You can work in various job profiles after the completion of your degree. But the most popular are food technologists, quality control managers, technical brewers, food production managers, food safety officers, sensory evaluators, and more.
The entrance exam acceptance is completely based on the universities. The few exams which are considered are IICPT, GATE Exam, BITSAT Exam, JEE Advanced, and JEE Main. These are the entrance exams for bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
Food Science Courses create the ultimate career for the students. Thus, NCERTBooks.Guru is here to help you in all possible ways for your better future. You can freely ask your doubts in the below comment section and we are also open to suggestions. For more course details guide to land on our website and find all the information related to the particular course.