Printing Technology Courses: Printing Technology is an always growing sector that requires skilled and competent professionals. It involves several skills and also an essential part of mass communication. Technical skills are needed to make a proper scope in the Printing industry. There are different processes involved in printing, like designing, image setting, printing, binding, plate making, etc. Those who have creative and technical minds, then this course is an excellent choice for them. The idea of printing can be traced back to the Chinese technique of woodblock printing. In India, the course is available in formats like Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree, and Ph.D.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details in Stream wise, and Category wise
What Is Printing Technology?
As the name ‘printing’ refers to this discipline deals with various aspects of printing. It is a process for reproducing images and texts using a master form or template. Printing technology is an engineering branch that deals with the study, manufacturing, and design of machines and materials used for printing. Apart from that, this branch also deals with the development and study of printing processes. Any individual should be able to do multi-task and also able to handle stress. Printing is usually done on surfaces of paper and textiles . According to the needs, it can also be done on surfaces of woods, plastic, metals, ceramic, glass, and other composite materials.
It has been discovered that woodblock printing has existence in China before 220 AD. Since then, this sector has undergone a continuous evolution. By 1040 AD, Bi Sheng taught the world about movable type printing. The printing press was an invention from Johannes Gutenberg in the 15th Century. Technology also plays a significant influence on this sector. It helped printing evolve from different stages such as – hand-operated printing & steam-powered presses to modern 3D, laser, and digital printing techniques.
Here list of some prominent printing techniques –
- Offset printing
- Letterpress printing
- Liquid electrophotography
- Inkjet printer
- Thermal Printing
- Laser printing
- Pad printing
- Relief print
List Of Printing Technology Courses In India
Based on the format, printing technology courses can be categorized as follows –
- Diploma courses
- Certificate courses
- Bachelor’s Degree courses
- Master’s Degree courses
- PG Diploma courses
- PG Certificate courses
- Ph.D. programs
Eligibility Criteria And Duration Of Various Disciplines Of Printing Technology
- Diploma in Printing: It is a certificate program. Candidates need to be 10th passed from a recognized board. The duration of this program is three years. After completing this course, the student may go for higher education and pursue a relevant Bachelor’s Degree course.
- Certificate in Printing Technology Course: It is a vocational training program. The certification program is generally six to twelve months long. It is an ideal short duration training program for those who are seeking a job in this sector. It requires the candidates must be 10th passed.
- Printing Technology skill Diploma course: The program has been designed in such a way that candidates acquire skills relevant to the printing technology sector. The course timeline could be anywhere between six to twenty-four months. It requires the candidates must be 10th passed.
- B.TECH./B.E. Printing Technology: Bachelor of Technology and Bachelor of Engineering. The duration of Each academic program is four years long. Candidates who have completed 12th Science with PCM subjects are eligible to apply for these courses.
- B.SC In Printing Technology: Bachelor of Science is an undergraduate-level course. Candidates who have passed 12th class are fit to pursue this course. The length of the program is three years.
- B.VOC in Printing Technology: Bachelor of Vocation(B.VOC) is a vocational training course. The length of this program is three years. Students who have passed 12th class are fit to pursuit B.Voc. Printing Technology course.
- M.TECH./M.E. Printing Technology: Master of Technology and Master of Engineering. The duration of Each academic program is two years long. Students who have completed relevant B.E. or B.Tech. Programs are eligible to pursue these courses.
- M.SC in Printing Technology Course: Master of Science is a post-graduate course. The Graduate candidates who have completed relevant B.Sc. program are eligible to pursue this course. The duration of the academic program is two years long.
- M.Voc in Printing Technology: Master of Vocation is a vocational training program. The duration of the academic program is two years long. Graduates candidates who have completed relevant B.Voc. Course are eligible to pursue this program.
Printing Technology Courses Admission And Colleges
There are many polytechnic institutes, technical education Colleges, and engineering colleges across India that offer this course. For both the 10th and 12th passed of any stream, students may apply for admission.
Depending upon the institution, the admission process could be merit-based or director based on entrance exams like MH-CET, JEE Mains, etc. In the case of the merit-based admission process, percentage /CGPA scored by students in the 10th (or 12th) board examination (mostly science subjects) are considered. Seats are given to deserving students based on merit marks obtained by them. And in the case of the entrance exam, there are cutoff marks for students who pursue the admission process.
Some of the colleges/institutes which offer Diploma in Printing Technology are-
- Northern Regional Institute of Printing Technology
- Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology, Hishar
- Government Institute of Printing Technology
- Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University
- Institute of Printing Technology, Maharashtra
- Khatu Shyam Institute of Management and Technology
Printing Technology Courses Syllabus
Without taking any particular courses, printing technology curriculum covers the following core subjects –
- Offset printing technology
- Computer application
- Communication skills
- Graphic design
- Book publishing
- Digital printing technology
- Color science and management
- Print finishing
- Printing ink technology
- Print production management
- Project work
Fees for Printing Technology Courses
Tuition fees for the candidates who opted for a certificate program to the Diploma program of Printing Technology may range from 10,000 to 1.5 lakhs. And those candidates who pursue B.Tech / B.E in Printing Technology may range from INR 1 to 2 Lacs. There are some factors upon fees are dependent such as:
- Type of college
- Scholarship status
- Mode of admission
- Course format
Job Profile /Carrier Prospects of a Printing Technology Holder
In this ultra-modern world, the Job demands in Printing Technology are much high. There is a lot of recruitment in various government and private firms. Some of the Well known recruiters include- publishing firms, manufacturing printing equipment, firms, firms developing and designing printing software, advertising agencies, and packaging industries. Some of the top role Jobs are listed below:
- Publication Assistant: assist editorial staff in all chores related to the publication.
- Printing Technician: To recognize, troubleshoot, and solve printer related issues. To provide other technical support.
- Prepress Operator: It responsible for getting artwork done for customers and ensuring the quality and customer expectations at work.
- Technical Solutions Representative: To give technical support in maintenance, installation, and service.
Apart from these above-mentioned carrier prospects, self-employment is one more opportunity available in front of printing professionals. They may start their printing press or publication firm.
Also, the candidates do after completing a Master’s level course; the person may become a lecturer at excellent technical education institutes. After completing Ph.D., one may also develop a career in the R&D sector associated with this field.
Salary to Printing Technology Programmer
Printing Technology program prepares the students to become successful in this sector and earn handsome salaries. The salary of a candidate pursuing Diploma courses of 3year may range from INR 2 lacs to 3.5 lacs per annum. While B.Tech graduates can expect a salary between INR 15,000 to 30, 000 every month in a private firm. Apart from this, Starting salary depends upon different factors. Some such notable factors are –
- Job location
- Profile of the employer
- His/her academic performance
- His/her skills and aptitude
- Job profile
Depending upon the above-given factors, printing technology professionals could earn anywhere between eight thousand to 20 thousand Rupees at the start. In case of a job from the Government, the salary will be based on the pay band, DA rate, and pay scale.
FAQ’s on Printing Technology Course
What is Printing Technology?
Printing Technology is a process of reproducing images on paper using ink with the help of the printing press.
When did printing discover?
There has been discovered that woodblock printing used to exist in China before 220 AD.
How can we say Printing Technology evolves day by day?
Technology has played an active role in this sector. It helped printing evolve through different stages such as – hand-operated printing & steam-powered presses to modern 3D, laser, and digital printing techniques.
What is the material used for Printing?
In the past time, naturally obtained ink, as well as oil-based ink, were used for printing. Now, artificial chemical inks and solutions are used for printing. Earlier, printing is usually done on surfaces of textiles and paper. Nowadays, it can also be done on surfaces of plastic, metals, wood, ceramic, glass, and other composite materials.
Summary of Printing Technology Courses
Print communication is one of the most potent and essential media of journalism, which is increasing. So We hope that the information mentioned above regarding a Printing Technology course will help you to improve your understanding of the depth of the subject.