How to Join Indian Air Force: Are you someone who wants to fly a fighter plane? If airstrikes, air missiles are something that fascinates you the most, and you want to fight for your country by means of air, then the Indian Air Force is all for you. Fighting wars by means of air is quite tough. But nothing is impossible if you have the determination. So, if you want to know How to Join Air Force, then read the article.
The Indian Air Force (IAF) is the component of the Indian Armed Forces. It consists of crew and aircraft assets that rank fourth amongst all the air forces in the world. The major aim of IAF is to protect Indian Airspace and to conduct aerial strife in case of any armed strike. The official formation of IAF was on 8th October 1932 as a confederate air force. The IAF had a major contribution to World War II under British surveillance.
Refer to Course Details to know more about related courses and find details like Admission Process, Eligibility Criteria, etc.
Before Independence, the Indian Air Force had a prefix as a Royal. But after independence, the prefix is now removed. There are many other operations undertaken by the IAF which contain Operation Vijay, Operation Cactus, Operation Meghdoot, Operation Poomalai. Apart from handling hostile missions, IAF has a major responsibility in United Nations peacekeeping missions.
- Eligibility Criteria to Join Air Force
- Eligibility Criteria to Join under NDA
- Eligibility Criteria to Join through AFCAT (Air Force Common Admission Test)
- Eligibility Criteria to Join through AFCAT
- Eligibility Criteria to Join through CDSE (Combined Defence Services Examination)
- Medical Examination
- Salary in Indian Air Force
Eligibility Criteria to Join Air Force
A candidate can join the Indian Air Force through NDA, AFCAT, NCC, CDSE. You will have to clear out the written test and then you will have to appear for an interview. After you clear all the previous rounds, you will have to pass the medical examination and if you will qualify for all the rounds, you will be given training for final selection.
Eligibility Criteria to Join under NDA
- The minimum age to Join IAF through NDA is 16 years and the maximum age limit is 19 years.
- The nationality of the candidate should be Indian.
- A Candidate must have Physics and Mathematics in 10+2. If you are in your final year, then you can apply for this position.
Eligibility Criteria to Join through AFCAT (Air Force Common Admission Test)
- The minimum age limit to Join through AFCAT is 20 years and the maximum age limit is 24 years.
- The nationality of the candidate should be Indian and the Marital status should be single till the final selection.
- A Candidate must have a graduation degree from any authoritative organisation with at least 60% or equivalent marks. If you are in your final year, then also you are eligible to apply.
- If a candidate has passed section A and Section B of the examination of Associate Membership of Institute Engineers or Aeronautical Society of India, then also you can easily apply for this position.
Eligibility Criteria to Join through AFCAT
- A candidate must lie between the age group of 20 to 24 years old.
- Both male and female candidates are eligible to apply for this position.
- The Nationality of the candidate should be Indian and the Marital Status of the candidate should be Single.
- It is mandatory to have a minimum of 50% in 10+2 with maths and physics as the main subjects. A candidate should have a graduation degree in any discipline with a minimum of 60% marks or have a four-year course degree in Bachelors in Engineering or Bachelor’s in Technology with minimum percentage criteria of 60% marks.
- If a candidate has cleared both section A and Section B of the examination of Associate Membership of Institute Engineers or Aeronautical Society of India, then also you can easily apply for this position.
Eligibility Criteria to Join through CDSE (Combined Defence Services Examination)
- A candidate must be of at least 19 years and a maximum of 24 years.
- The Nationality of the Candidate should be Indian.
- The Marital status of the candidate should be single.
- A candidate must have a graduation degree with Mathematics and Physics as their major subjects.
- There is no minimum qualifying percentage to Join through CDSE.
- You must have your degree certification while applying.
After qualifying the eligibility criteria and clearing the exams, and then if you will clear the interview round then, the candidate has to go through the Medical Examination. A Candidate will have to go through the medical examination that will be conducted at the Air Force centre Medical Establishment (AFCME), New Delhi, or at the Institute of Aviation Medicine, Bengaluru.
If a Candidate will be selected, then he/she will have to go through a scrupulous training of 3 years regimen at the National Defense Academy. And after that, you will be required to have specialized training at AF Training Establishments. After successfully passing all the levels, a candidate will become a permanent member of the Indian Air Force.
- How to become an Air Force Pilot in India
- How to become a Navy Officer in India
- How to become a Ship Captain in India
Salary in Indian Air Force
During the starting training period, the pay scales start at Rs 56,000 for flying candidates. The pay scale is common in all branches with Rs 15,600 and the grade varies for different levels. The grade pay of higher posts such as flight lieutenant, flight officer, air marshall, CAS starts above Rs 50,000 and goes till 3 lakh rupees. There are other perks as well associated with IAF such as Military Service Pay, dearness allowance, kit maintenance allowance, transport allowance, etc.
If you have the determination and will to contribute towards the victory of the nation by joining the Indian Air Force, then you should definitely go ahead with your aim. You can enter IAF by various means. Clear out the exams, interview, be medically fit and attain a position at IAF.