How to Join DRDO: Are you someone who loves to do research on defence? If you are from a science background, then it is definite that the thought of joining DRDO must have come across your mind. But do you know How to Join DRDO? DRDO is one of the most reputed research & development organizations in India. If you want to join DRDO, then here is all the relevant information related to joining DRDO.
Defense Research & Development Organisation or DRDO is an agency that is working under the umbrella of the Ministry of Defence. The amalgamation of the Defence Science Organisation and various other technical institutions led to the formation of DRDO in the year 1958. The headquarter of DRDO is in the capital of India-New Delhi. DRDO is the largest research & development institution in India. It has a system of laboratories that aims at the development of defence technologies that covers various aspects such as aeronautics, armaments, electronics, land encounter engineering, life sciences, materials, missiles, and naval systems.
Refer to Course Details to know more about related courses and find details like Admission Process, Eligibility Criteria, etc.
Candidates can apply after completing their Bachelor’s degree. In order to enter DRDO, a candidate must have given the entrance test which is the Centre for Personnel Talent Management (CEPTAM).
Although there are other subcategory institutions that come under DRDO such as the Defence Institute of Bioenergy Research that works with the undergraduate students and hire them for their Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), and for the Senior Research Fellowship (SRF), students who are pursuing MSC/MTech are eligible.
There are different positions in the DRDO and each position has certain criteria that need to be fulfilled.
- A candidate must have a matriculation certificate along with 12th-grade certification with major subjects as Physics, Chemists, and Mathematics.
- A Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in the field of Science/Engineering.
- For Technician ‘A’ under DRDO’s Cadre of Technical Advisors, a candidate must have a minimum of 1-year course certification from an authoritative institute, having a national trade certificate and National Apprenticeship Certificate is also necessary criteria.
- For the Scientist ‘B’, a candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in the field of technology/engineering with a maximum percentage.
- For Scientist ‘C’, a candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in the field of technology/engineering with a maximum percentage and a minimum work experience of 3 years is necessary. And the age limit is 35 years.
- For Scientist ‘D’, a candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in the field of technology/engineering with a maximum percentage and a minimum professional experience of 7 years is necessary. The age limit to become a Scientist ‘D’ is under 45 years.
- For Scientist ‘E’, a candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in the field of technology/engineering with first-division marks and a minimum professional experience of 10 years is necessary. The age limit to become a Scientist ‘E’ is under 45 years.
- If you have a Bachelor of Science degree, then you can apply for the position of an assistant technician by clearing the Centre’s Personnel Talent Management department (CEPTAM).
- If you are a 12th pass out, then you are eligible for the position of a shop assistant and various other junior-level positions at DRDO by clearing the GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) and SET (Scientist Entry Test) exams. The SET exam consists of Logical Relations, Spatial Reasoning, Concept Formation, Numerical Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning.
DRDO is among the top-most research & development organisations in India. The regulation of DRDO comes under the government under the ministry of defence. The salaries of Scientists and other job roles in DRDO have quite a high-scale salary compared to other organisations. The pay-scale for the Scientists’B’ to Scientist’E’ goes from 55,000 Rs to 1 lakh rupees and even higher. The salary depends on the level of the position. For the distinguished scientists and the secretary of the DRDO, the salary is usually more than 2 lakh rupees per month.
In order to prepare for DRDO at the undergraduate level, it is recommended that candidates do the internship under DRDO.
- Research for the internship that you want to do for your specialisation.
- There are different laboratories of DRDO, find the address of any laboratory that is hiring interns.
- Use references or search the contact details of the director of that laboratory.
- You can send your resume with all the details from education to work experience.
- If you will get shortlisted, they will contact you for the interview round.
- If you will qualify for the interview round, then you will be selected as an intern at DRDO and alongside, you can prepare for entrance exams to get permanent entry at DRDO.
If you have a great interest in research & development, science, and technology, then you should definitely not miss out on the chance to join DRDO. DRDO will provide you with a valuable and accountable position. You will get various governmental benefits as well. So, if you are thinking of joining DRDO, then go ahead!