Most of the people will have questions in mind that how to become an interior designer in India after the 12th and what are the courses? Planning to take an interior designing course in India will be the best career path at this moment. There is a lot of scopes to get a good job with a good package for interior designer in India. In India, there are three primary courses to finish interior designing they are bachelor, diploma, and certificate courses.
There is a lot of demand for interior designers in India as it is a creative job where you can show your innovative thoughts to design. Let us take the case of home. To renovate the house there is the need for interior designers to design rooms like floor, walls, ceilings, furniture that gives innovative look to the house. Let us see what are the roles and responsibilities, skills, and courses required to become an interior designer in India.
- Who is an Interior designer?
- Role and Responsibilities of an Interior Designer
- Interior Designing Course Fee
- Interior Designing Course Duration
- Admission Process of Interior Designing
- Top Colleges Offering Interior Designing Courses
- Interior Designing Syllabus
- Eligibility Criteria for Interior Designing Course
- Skills Required to become an interior designer in India
- Job Roles for Interior Designer
- What are the salary packages for interior designers in India?
- How long does it take to become an interior designer in India?
- How much an interior designer earns in India?
- What qualifications do I need to be an interior designer?
- Is interior design a good career in India?
Interior design is the art of improving the interior decoration of a building to obtain a healthier environment for the people. An interior designer is the one who plans, creates better projects. In India, architects would also work as interior designers. The role of an interior designer is research, communicating with the investors or shareholders of a project, construction, management, and implementation of the design.
- Meeting with clients and discussing the needs, budget, goal, architectural preference, and status of the project.
- Generate the sketched design of the layout and how many people will be using the space.
- Calculating the approximate cost that is required to complete the project.
- Seek out formal training.
- Using software tools to design the project to get the impression and satisfaction of the project to the clients.
For any other course details related information, do check out our page and get acquainted with details right from educational qualification needed, jobs, career options, salary packages offered.
To apply for the interior designing course you need to qualify for 10th and 12th classes from any recognized board with at least 65% marks.
- In order to join the interior designing course, one must complete 12th grade in maths and physics from any board with a good percentage. Because Maths and physics are important to join B. Architecture. You can also seek 3-year diploma course in interior design after 10th grade.
- Take admission in B. Arch through JEE, AAT, NATA. (or) Take a bachelor’s degree in interior design after 12th class. The duration of this course is 5 years. (or) Take the B.Des after qualifying 12th grade from any board.
- For further specialization in the interior designing course, you can take M. Arch. In order to get admission to reputed institutions like IITs, you need to qualify for the GATE exam. (or) You can also go for an M. Des graduate degree in any discipline.
The average course fee for Interior Designing lasts up to 3-4 Lakhs per semester. The college fee might differ from college to college depending on the reputation, the infrastructure provided, placements offered, etc.
Average Duration for Interior Designing Course is 3 months – 4 Years. Depending on the course you have selected such as diploma, graduate, undergraduate, and postgraduate the course duration varies.
- Diploma in Interior Design will take around 1 Year
- Undergraduate Diploma in Interior Design takes 3 Years.
- However, for Postgraduate Diploma in Interior Design, it will take around 2 Years.
Interior Designing Programme Admission Process differs from college to college. However, the common admission process one encounters before applying to the course is as follows
- Certain Institutes select the candidates based on the merit list obtained in the exams. The greater the score you get there is higher the chance of getting admission.
- Some colleges choose the candidates on basis of scores in popular entrance exams like UCEED, CEED. Few colleges organize their own entrance exams and based on the score they give admission to the candidates.
|Course Name||Course Duration||College Name|
|B.Des in Interior Design||4 Years||
|B.Sc. in Interior Design||3 Years|
|B.A. in Interior Design||3 Years|
|M.Des in Interior Design||2 Years|
|M.Sc in Interior Design||2 Years|
|Diploma in Interior Designing||1 Year|
|Certificate in Interior Designing||6 Months to 1 Year|
|Theory of Design||Freehand Drawing & Geometric Construction||Communication Skills|
|Technical drawings and Computer Applications||Basic Photography||Furniture & Furnishings|
|Analytical Drawing||Interior Construction||Product Semantics|
|History of Interior Design||Research Strategies Design Process||Fundamentals of Design|
|Science of Interior Design||Estimation Costing||Design and Drafting|
|Portfolio Designing||Entrepreneurship Development||Design and Crafting|
|Principles of Interior Designing||Life Space Planning||Art & Graphics in Interior Designing|
|Interior Landscape||CAD||Material Exposure|
- Observing and learning are very important skills to become a successful interior designer. It includes interest and passion.
- Creative mind and excellent drawing skills.
- Seek out formal training that means you need to have internships, apprenticeships.
- Communication and presentation skills to impress the clients or shareholders.
- Time management skills play a crucial role to become an interior designer.
- Experience in drawing sketches using the software tools like SketchUp, 3D Max, AutoCAD, etc.
- Work experience in designing projects.
- Excellent profile of previous projects.
- You need to have skills to work for a company or establish your company
- Residential Interior Designers
- Corporate Designers
- Home staging designers
- Kitchen and bath designers
- Healthcare designers
- Sustainable designers
In India, the salary package for an interior designer role depends upon your qualification and the impression you gained from the interviewer with your ideas. If you are fresher then your payscale will be around 2.2 to 3 lakhs per annum. If you have experience with more than 3 years then your average pay scale will be 6 to 10 lakhs per annum.
FAQs on How to Become an Interior Designer in India
The time duration varies based on the type, of course, you have opted for. To pursue Diploma in Interior Design will take around 1 Year and for Undergraduate Diploma in Interior Design, it takes 3 Years. However, for Postgraduate Diploma in Interior Design, it will take around 2 Years.
On Average, freshers who pursued Interior Designing Course will earn up to 3 Lakhs. However, this pay scale may vary based on the experience, the reputation of the company.
To pursue Interior Designing Course you must complete 12th grade in maths and physics from any board with a good percentage.
Yes, Interior Design is a good career in India for sure and it opens a plethora of opportunities for you in various public, private sector firms.
We have provided genuine information on how to become an interior designer in India. We think the details provided in this article are helpful for the people who want to know about interior designing salary in India, course fees. Feel free to contact us to clarify your doubts regarding what education is needed to become an interior designer in India.