India is a great place to get software jobs. Before applying for the jobs candidates must know how to become a software architect in India. For a decade more than 1 million candidates have joined as software architects to make it the largest software exporter. There are many reasons to choose software jobs because they are highest paid, career growth, and job security.
If you work hard from your college days you will be placed in the government sector or private sector. Students who decided to become software architects are suggested to go through this article to get information like course details, educational qualifications, duties, skills required, and payscale for a software architect in India.
- What Does a Software Architect do?
- Duties and Tasks of a Software Architect
- Eligibility Criteria to become a Software Architect
- Steps to Become a Software Architect in India
- Entrance Exams for applying for Software Engineering Courses
- Course Duration to Complete Architect Course
- Top Colleges in India to become a Software Architect (UG & PG Course)
- What to learn to become a Software Architect in India
- Syllabus For to become Software Architect Sem-wise
- Reference Books to study for Software Architect
- Skills Required for a Software Architect
- Architectural Design Software List
- Software Architect Salary in India
- Pros and Cons of a Software Architect
- What is the qualification for a software architect?
- How can I become a software architect after 12th?
- Does a software architect code?
A software architect is an Information Technology professional who is an expert in software development. He/She is the one who communicates with the clients to know the requirements and also to explain to them the design and budget of the project. Their duty is to design by using software tools.
Some of the roles and responsibilities of a software architect in India are as follows,
- Leading the team to design
- Collaborating with clients
- Identifying and understanding the requirements of the clients.
- Completing the project within the budget.
- Working with different developer teams
- Completing the project within time.
To apply for any job it is necessary for the applicants to check the eligibility criteria.
- You must have passed Class 12 from any recognized board with subjects maths, physics, and chemistry with a minimum of 60% marks.
- They have to clear undergraduate courses like B.Arch/Diploma with at least 65% marks from any university or institution. The duration of the bachelor of architecture course is 5 years.
- If you are interested to go for postgraduation then you have to write the GATE exam. You need to score at least 50% in Master of Technology to be eligible to apply for your dream job.
Age Limit: There is no age limitation to applying for software architect jobs in India.
Go through the below steps to know how to become a software architect in India.
- Step 1: Should have passed 10+2 with an aggregate of 65% of marks from any recognized board.
- Step 2: Should have possessed Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology.
- Step 3: Should have knowledge of programming languages and frameworks.
- Step 4: Have knowledge of System Design, Development Operations, etc.
- Step 5: Valid Certification Course – ISAQB Software Architecture, CITA-P, Axelos, and so on.
- Step 6: Complete the selection process like GD, personal interview.
Candidates who wish to join engineering must appear for the entrance exams conducted by the state and central government. Based on the rank scored in the entrance exams students can choose the colleges. We have enlisted the UG level and PG level entrance exams below.
UG Level Entrance Exams:
- JEE Mains
- JEE Advanced
PG Level Entrance Exams:
- Duration of Bachelor’s Degree Course in Computer Science is 4 years
- Duration of Bachelor’s Degree Course in Architecture is 5 years
- Duration of Master’s Degree Course in Computer Science is 2 years.
- How to become a Software Developer in India
- Computer Courses
- How to become a Computer Programmer in India
To become a software architect candidates have to complete the graduation course. Here is the list of the top colleges or institutions to become software architects in India.
- Alagappa University, Karaikui
- SRM Engineering College
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University
- St. Xavier’s College
- Sri Ramakrishna Engineering College
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
- Amity University
- College of Computer Science and Information Technology
- Delhi Technologies
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Ramanujan College, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Kerala University, Thiruvananthapuram
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- Satyabhama University
- Design and architecture of software systems
- Internet of Things
- Software Engineering for the Cloud
- Developing for Blockchain
- Architectural Design I
- Visual Arts and Basic Design I
- Computer Applications I
- Building Construction I
- Theory of Structures I
- Environmental Studies
- Model making and Workshop
- Human Settl. & Vernacular Arch.
- Professional Communications I
- Architectural Design II
- Visual Arts and Basic Design II
- Computer Applications II
- Building Construction II
- Theory of Structures II
- Climate-responsive Design
- History of Architecture I
- Sociology and Culture
- Professional Communications II
- Architectural Design III
- Visual Arts and Basic Design III
- Computer Applications III
- Building Construction III
- Theory of Structures III
- Water, Waste, and Sanitation
- Site Planning and Landscape Studies
- History of Architecture II
- Art and Architectural Appreciation I
- Research Elective I
- Architectural Design IV
- Visual Arts and Basic Design IV
- Computer Applications IV
- Building Construction IV
- Theory of Structures IV
- Electrification, Lighting & Acoustics
- Solar Active and Passive Systems
- History of Architecture III
- Art and Architectural Appreciation II
- Research Elective II
- Architectural Design V
- Building Construction V
- Theory of Structures V
- HVAC Mech Mobility & Fire Safety
- Energy System & Renewables
- History of Architecture IV
- Design Methodology II
- Art and Architectural Appreciation III
- Research Elective III
- Research Elective IV
- Architectural Design VI
- Building Construction VI
- Theory of Structure & Design II
- Green Systems Integration
- Sustainable Urban Habitats
- Specifications & Contracts
- Contemporary Architecture
- Architectural Theories
- Art & Architectural Appreciation IV
- Architectural Design VII
- Working Drawings
- Project Management
- Architectural Appreciation IV
- Arch. Research Seminar
- Arch. Research- Elective V
- Arch. Research- Elective VI
- Practical Training
- Architectural Design IX
- Professional Practice
- Urban Design Studies
- Arch. Research Dissertation/ Art Thesis
- Arch. Research- Elective VII
- Arch. Research- Elective VIII
- Architectural Design Thesis
- Thesis Design Research
- Professional Practice
Here are some preferred books to become a software architect.
- 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School by Matthew Frederick
- Architecture: Form, Space, & Order by Francis D.K. Ching
- A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction by Christopher Alexander, Sara Ishikawa
- Yes is More. An Archicomic on Architectural Evolution by Bjarke Ingels.
To get shortlisted for a software architect job the aspirants must meet the skills that are expected from the recruiters of the company or organization.
- Fundamentals of software architecture
- Good Communication Skills to collaborate with clients
- Problem Solving Skills
- Time Management
- Leadership qualities
- Software Architecture in Practice
Drawing is the primary work of an architect. There are different needs in each architectural software design
- 3D Studio Max
Candidates can expect a high salary while working as software architects. The pay scale depends on your performance and experience. The salary of a software architect in the initial period is Rs. 10 to 15 lakhs per annum. If you have experience of more than 4 years you can expect a high package of about Rs. 20 to 30 lakhs per year.
- Good Salary
- Flexible working hours
- Work from home is available
- Traveling opportunities
FAQs on How to Become a Software Architect in India
The students must have possessed Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in Computer Science or B.Arch.
- Complete 12th from a recognized Board.
- Complete the graduation program in Computer Science or Software Engineering.
- Pursue the Software package, which an aspirant is interested in studying and working.
- Become a Software Architect.
No, a software architect does not need to write code.
All the details shared in this article regarding joining as a software architect is as per the expert suggestions. We hope these details help you to make sure that your choice is correct. To more about how to become a software architect in India you can contact us by posting the comments in the below-given comment section.