How to Become a Graphic Designer in India: If you are an artistic person with a handful of creative ideas, we are sure that you want to become a Graphic Designer. A graphic designer is a person who is responsible for styling blogs, print pages, and much more to communicate with the public using art and technology.
Graphic designers play a major role in advertisements, blogs, books, fliers, magazines, video games, packaged food posters, exhibits and displays, Corporate communications, and whatnot. This shows the demand for graphic designers in India, and if you wish to work in such demand full job, then this post is for you.
In this post, you will learn everything about how to become a graphic designer in India, pay scale, salary structure, job opportunities, and much more. Read further to find more.
How to Be a Graphic Designer in India?
To pursue a profession in graphic design, you must first complete your schooling and, more importantly, further develop your skills. There are several graphic designing courses available in India, ranging from foundation to 4-year degree programs. To conclude, there are 3 types of graphic design courses available in India: certification, diploma, and degree programs.
Thus who wish to pursue a career as a graphic designer in India will have to enroll in any of three programs and start applying for the jobs.
Note: One needs to clear their class 12 and earn a degree to become a graphic designer in India after Class 12th.
Types of Graphic Designers in India
Graphic designing is a broad subject, and there are several subdivisions in graphic design courses. The types of graphic design in India are listed below:
- Art and illustration
- Environmental graphic design
- Marketing & advertising graphic design
- Motion graphic design
- Packaging graphic design
- Publication graphic design
- User interface graphic design
- Visual identity graphic design
Eligibility to Become a Graphic Designer in India
The eligibility to be a graphic designer in India are given below:
Educational Qualifications: A candidate who has cleared Class 10 and 12 or equivalent exam in any stream, say Arts, Commerce, or Science, is eligible to be a graphic designer in India. After completing the Class 12 or equivalent exam, they should have completed certification, diploma, and degree programs. Certification in HTML, Photoshop, CSS, or web designing will be an added advantage.
Age Limit: Age is just a number If you want to become a graphic designer. You can even pursue a certification course and become a graphic designer at any age.
- Creative skills
- Sound communication skills
- IT skills
- Critical thinking
- Problem-solving ability
- Time management skills
- Eye to Detail
- Colour Theory
Steps to Become a Graphic Designer in India
The steps to becoming a graphic designer in India are given below:
- Step 1: Clear your Class 10 and Class 12 or equivalent exam in any stream.
- Step 2: Enroll in any graphic design course and earn a degree or certification. To enroll for a graphic design course in top universities, you will have to appear in entrance exams such as NID DAT, AIEED, Pearl Academy Entrance Exam, TDV.
- Step 3: Learn the top graphic designing skills such as HTML, CSS, Photoshop.
- Step 4: Start applying for jobs.
List of Graphic Designing Entrance Exam Courses
The list of entrance exams to enroll for a graphic designing course in India are given below:
- NID Entrance Exam
- IIAD Entrance Exam
- Pearl Academy Entrance Exam
- TDV Entrance Exam
What Course Should I Take To Become a Graphic Designer?
The list of top graphic designing courses in India are given below:
|Total Fee (Approx.)
|B.Des in Graphic Design
|₹ 30,000 to ₹ 3,10,000 per year
|B.Sc Graphic Design
|₹ 10,000 to ₹ 5,00,000 per year
|B.A. in Graphic Design
|₹ 10,000 to ₹ 5,00,000 per year
|M.Des in Graphic Design
|₹ 1,00,000 to ₹ 5,79,000 per year
|Certificate Course in Graphic Design
|₹ 30,000 to ₹ 94,000 per year
|Diploma in Graphic Designing
|₹ 32,900 to ₹ 94,000 per year
Top Colleges in India for Graphic Design Courses
The list of top colleges in India for Graphic designing courses in India are given below:
- Kanya Maha Vidyalaya (KMV), Jalandhar
- SAM Global University (SGU), Bhopal
- Ellen School of Art And Design, Jaipur
- UPES, Dehradun
- Quantum University, Roorkee
- JECRC University, Jaipur
- Koshys Animation & Media School (KAMS), Bangalore
Top Recruiting Fields for Graphic Designers in India
Once you have completed your graphic designing course, you can apply for graphic designing jobs in the following fields:
- Advertising agencies
- E-learning companies
- Graphic design studios
- Print & publishing houses (like newspapers, magazines, etc.)
- TV & Multimedia production houses
- Web Design Studios
- Website development studios
The following is the list of some important industries or employment sectors that candidates get employment opportunities as Graphic designers:
- Marketing firms
- Corporate businesses
- Design studios
- Television industry
- Ad Agencies
- Training Institutions
- Publishing houses
- Multi-media companies
- Web designing
- Printing and Publishing
- Commercial packaging
- TV and film company
Popular Job Profile after Graphic Designing Course
Candidates who have completed their graphic designing course will be recruited under the following job profiles:
- Flash Animator
- Graphic Designer
- Layout Designer
- UI Designer
- Web Developer
Top Graphic Design Recruiters in India
The top recruiters in India for the position of Graphic Designers are listed below:
- Cogwheel Studios
- Design Factory India
- Eastern Silk Industries Ltd
- Edge Studio, New Delhi
- Fisheye, New Delhi
- General Motors Design
- Mangoblossom Design, Mumbai
- Moonraft Innovation Labs Pvt. Ltd
- SAP Labs India Pvt. Ltd
- Think Design, Hyderabad
- Wipro technologies
Pay Scale and Salary of Graphic Designers in India
An individual with a graphic design degree might earn anywhere between Rs 2 lakhs and Rs 6 lakhs per year on average. Depending on their experience and skill level, institute from where they have earned a graphic designing degree, candidates might expect a greater salary package. The table below lists some of the most well-known organizations that hire graphic designers, as well as the average salary package of a graphic designer in India:
|Top Companies for Graphic Designers
|Average Salary of Graphic Designer in India
|Graphic Design, Inc.
|EY (Ernst & Young)
Here is the list of some crucial study materials and books that every student of a graphic designer should study to pursue their course efficiently:
- Design, Form, and Chaos by Paul Rand
- Graphic Design Theory From the Field by Helen Armstrong
- Graphic Design: The New Basics by Ellen Lupton and Jennifer Cole Phillips
- Guide To Graphic Design by Scott W. Santoro
- Media Design with Adobe by Catherine Skintik
- Principles of Form and Design by Wong
- The Elements of Graphic Design by Alex W. White
- The Little Know-It-All: Common Sense for Designers by Silja Bilz
- Universal Principles of Design by William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler
FAQs on How to Become a Graphic Designer in India
1. What is the average salary of a graphic designer in India?
The average salary of a graphic designer in India ranges between 2 to 6 Lakhs per annum.
2. How to become a freelance graphic designer in India?
Various startups in India will look for freelance graphic designers in India and if you wish to become one among them, then you can search any job portal apply for freelance graphic design openings. However, to become a freelance graphic designer, you will have to showcase your samples.
3. Which subject to choose in 11th to become a graphic designer?
Students can choose any course to become a graphic designer in India. However, if you choose a stream that has computer science as one of the major subjects to understand the basics of computers and designing skills.
We hope this article on becoming a graphic designer in India has helped you. If you are serious about becoming a graphic designer, then start taking the certification courses such as HTML, CSS to crack the entrance exams and secure admission to top universities. The better the university, the better the job and salary. Find other course details by this quick link and choose your career wisely to reach your dreams.