How To Become a Cosmologist in India?: Do the universe and its mysteries fascinate you like no other thing in this world? Then, probably, cosmology is a field in which you will shine. With the rapid development in scientific inventions, even the stars and planets of this universe have come at the reach of humans. Cosmology can be taken as one of the most exciting and newly emerging subjects that lets you discover the spectacular secrets of this endless universe. This article will provide you with satisfying answers regarding the career options in cosmology and how you can establish yourself as a successful cosmologist in India.
- Who is a Cosmologist?
- What is the Job of a Cosmologist?
- Paths That You Can Choose to Become a Cosmologist in India
- Skills Required to Become a Cosmologist
- Job Opportunities in the Field of Cosmology
- Salary That You Can Expect as a Cosmologist
- Best Institutes in India to Study Cosmology in India
- Conclusion on How To Become a Cosmologist in India?
The scientists who study and research the whole universe are known as cosmologists. They acquire knowledge about the universe’s formation, evolution, and future happenings and the galaxies existing in it. Cosmologists also develop several theories to explain the reasons responsible for the occurrences in the universe. The study of cosmology is focused on the entire universe’s history and structure.
Refer to Course Details to know more about related courses and find details like Admission Process, Eligibility Criteria, etc.
A cosmologist must learn a lot about astronomical affairs and space-time relations. Being a cosmologist, you will draw lines between different natural sciences, specifically physics and astronomy, to comprehend the complex events that have been taking place in the universe for ages. You should be adept with subjects like mathematics and physics to nail in the role of a cosmologist. In this career, you will always have the privilege to discover new things and play with innovative ideas.
So, now we will attempt to highlight the type of duties that you need to perform as a cosmologist. The job prospect is excellent and open doors for a few crucial roles that they play. The main job of cosmologists revolves around utilizing ground-based and space-borne telescopes to monitor and study celestial bodies and derive essential information like their properties, features like size, physical structure, separation, and separation, as many other important facts. A cosmologist must test and develop theories related to the universe and such related factors as gravity. However, the job of a cosmologist is not only limited to observing the celestial bodies but also jotting down all the major and minor observations made.
Further, a cosmologist will require to collect as well as analyze the data that is obtained through such observations. After proper analysis of data, the results are used to test existing theories. Then it either confirms an existing idea or creates a new approach to draw a new conclusion in the field of cosmology and astronomy. Apart from these, a cosmologist plays a vital role in developing and designing software that helps a cosmologist collect and analyze the collected data.
Let us now explore the path that needs to b followed to become a cosmologist in India. An aspirant of cosmology must know about the essential steps required to become a successful cosmologist in India to prepare oneself accordingly and in much advance.
To become a cosmologist in India, one must reach the minimum age level and match the eligibility criteria required for becoming a cosmologist. The eligibility criterion for taking up a bachelor’s degree in cosmology is as follows:
- A candidate must be of at least 17 years of age.
- A candidate should have the educational qualification of passing 10+2 with good grades and from a recognized board with the main subjects being mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
After reaching the eligibility criteria, the candidate is required to clear the JEE examination. This entrance exam is comprised of two parts: 1. JEE Mains and 2. JEE Advanced. A candidate must first crack the JEE Mains examination and then clear the JEE Advanced examinations to be eligible for pursuing a bachelor’s degree in cosmology.
Once the JEE Mains and JEE Advanced examinations are cleared, a counseling session is provided to the candidate. The candidate will be allowed to choose a college offering bachelor’s degree courses like engineering, physics, or astrophysics for getting admission. Either of the three courses needs to be selected as there are no colleges in India that offer a bachelor’s degree in cosmology. The candidate is then required to pursue a bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, or astrophysics, which lasts for 3 or 4 years.
Once a candidate has graduated with a bachelor’s degree in cosmology, they are required to clear the GATE Examinations or the JEST Examinations to pursue a masters’ degree in cosmology which continues for 2 or 3 years. Finally, a candidate can appear for the NET examination or JRF examination for pursuing a Ph.D. degree in cosmology or any other Astro Specialization Courses. A Ph.D. degree will help in sharpening the skills and developing in-depth knowledge in the subject.
On pursuing one or more degrees in the field of cosmology, an aspirant can contact a private or public sector space organization or astrophysics research institute and start working as an intern under the guidance of a senior scientist. It will not only give a firsthand experience but also sharpen the skills of an aspiring cosmologist. On pursuing a Ph.D. degree, a cosmologist may also become a professor at the college or university level.
- How to become a Biotechnologist in India
- How to Become a Cardiologist in India
- How to become A Cosmetologist in Indi
To build a career in cosmology, an aspirant must study physics, chemistry, and mathematics and excel in these subjects. Any aspirant who aims to become a cosmologist must have dedicated to the field and possess adequate skills required to become successful n this field. Thus some skills required by cosmology aspirants include:
- A cosmology aspirant must have an excellent aptitude for science and mathematics. They must be exceptionally skilled in physics as well as mathematics to become a successful cosmologist.
- An aspirant must be very passionate and committed towards their career and thus must be very hardworking too.
- An aspiring cosmologist must be very attentive to every detail in observation, data collection, and analysis of data. Being precise will help one in yielding reliable and valid research findings.
- An aspiring cosmologist must have great adaptability so that they can successfully understand the use of specific software and instruments for data collection and testing of theories.
- Patience is one of the essential skills that an aspiring cosmologist must-have. A cosmologist must continuously test and re-test a particular theory and obtain an indefinite or inaccurate result.
A qualified cosmologist has a great career prospect and can work in various public or private space organizations or astrophysics research institutions. To begin with, an aspiring cosmologist may work as an intern or a researcher on an assignment under the guidance of a senior scientist. The various areas where a cosmologist can perform include:
- As a researcher in commercial or non-commercial research organizations
- In a development and testing laboratory
- Space centers
- Space research organizations
- Space physics laboratories
- Private aerospace companies
- Science parks
- Astronomical equipment manufacturers
- NGO’s and space application centers
- Space education centers
- Colleges and Universities teaching astronomy and cosmology
The salary structure of a cosmologist is extremely good in India. A fresher in cosmology in India is expected to earn an average of 30,000 INR to 35,000 INR per month. With some experience in the field, a newer may receive a better pay amount with 70,000 INR per month. On gaining more and more experience, the salary of a cosmologist may increase up to 10,00,000 INR to 12,00,000 INR per annum. Thus, the more experienced, the higher will be the salary of a cosmologist in India.
When an aspirant is looking forward to building a career in cosmology in India, it is crucial to pursue the relevant courses from a well-recognized college and university. Selecting the top and best colleges for proper education and field experience is extremely important. Thus the following are the few best colleges and universities in which a cosmology aspirant may study to become successful in their career:
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Trivandrum
- Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Pune
- Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore
- Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
- Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
- Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Centre for Advanced Study in Astronomy
- Punjabi University, Patiala
Thus, this article covers the primary and most important details that a cosmology aspirant must go through to understand the field of cosmology and take the required steps for building a successful career in cosmology. So if you are highly interested and fascinated by astrophysics and space sciences and are zealous about building your career in this field, follow your passion and prepare yourself accordingly to become a successful cosmologist. Although it is a complex and challenging journey, if you have the interest, dedication, and commitment to cosmology, this is the perfect career option. With your dedication and hard work, you can explore this road of becoming a highly respected and successful cosmologist in India.