Architectural Assistantship is a unique three-year program offered by a few elite universities in India with the aim and objective of bettering the systems involved in civil engineering and architecture fields. In this particular article on a diploma in Architectural Assistantship, we are going to cover the following course details topics that are going to help students gain a 360-degree overview of the course of a diploma in architecture assistantship.
- What is a Diploma in Architectural Assistantship?
- Why should you do a diploma in Architectural Assistantship?
- Diploma in Architectural Assistantship(DAA) Eligibility
- Diploma in Architectural Assistantship Syllabus
- List of Subjects taught in DAA Course
- Diploma in Architectural Assistantship Colleges in India
- Diploma in Architectural Assistantship Fees
- Admission Procedure for Diploma in Architectural Assistantship
- Career Options after Pursuing DAA Course
- Diploma in Architectural Assistantship Salary
- FAQs on Architectural Assistantship Diploma
A diploma in architectural assistantship is a 3-year course that is designed to train students in the field of architecture, civil engineering, construction management, and project management. Students are trained in this field to provide them a basic knowledge of all aspects of building including the interior and exterior design. The course is designed in such a way that graduates will be able to work under civil engineers or architects who have done their bachelor’s degree and help them in the back-end activities.
During the 3 years of a diploma in architectural assistantship, students will be able to learn computer-aided drawings, engineering drawing, costing and estimation, architectural design, interior design, exterior design, and various other nuances involved in the construction of buildings, dams, roads, and bridges.
While a diploma in architectural assistantship might not be the popular course that a student will opt for, we are going to provide a holistic approach to this article and help students gain the required knowledge on the subject including the pros and cons of a diploma in an architectural assistantship.
The following five points should summarise why a student should pursue a course in diploma in Architectural Assistantship:
- If a student has a natural knack for engineering drawing, construction, and interior designing, then this course will provide a gateway to get into the field of creativity and innovation in the field of architecture
- Students who aim to get into the job market and start earning at a very tender age should pursue a diploma in architectural assistantship because a bachelor’s in architecture or a bachelor’s in civil engineering course is going to cost them more than 4 years while a diploma in architectural assistantship can be done within 3 years and the student can start getting hands-on experience much earlier than his or her counterparts in other degrees.
- Students whose economic condition is such a way that they can’t afford a complete degree in engineering or architecture can pursue a diploma in architectural assistantship because the return on investment (ROI) is much higher than one in other degrees
- Now that the construction of buildings, bridges, dams, and infrastructure, in general, has been at its peak in developing countries like India, the need for quality architecture is increasing every day and the job market is abundant, given the student is competent and knowledgeable enough to get a job.
- Diploma in Architectural Assistantship, being a very niche course, has high demand in the job market because there are not many candidates who can offer the competency that a graduate of Diploma in Architectural Assistantship can.
- Aspiring candidates should have a pass certificate from their 10th standard and a pass certificate from their 12th standard from any of the recognized education boards in India.
- Candidates should have studied stream of science both in their 10th and 12th standard
- The minimum age of the candidate to pursue a diploma in architectural assistantship in India is 16 years
- Certain universities conduct entrance examinations or provide admission based on merit as a result of which students are expected to clear the required cutoff set by the universities.
- A diploma in architectural assistantship is divided into 6 semesters spread across a duration of 3 years
- A candidate has to clear an examination at the end of each semester which means an examination will be conducted every six months.
- Other than the theory and practical subjects that will be part of the three-year course, a candidate will also have to submit a final year project and undergo an internship program to gain hands-on practical experience in the industry
- In case the candidate has backlogs in any of the semesters, he or she has to clear it within the next year else there are possibilities of a student having a year back. However, these criteria can be relaxed based on the college authorities and University affiliations.
The following are the subjects thought to students in the Diploma Course in Architectural Assistantship over the duration of three years:
- Applied physics
- Applied mathematics
- Applied chemistry
- Applied mechanics
- Engineering drawing
- Engineering graphics
- Architectural design
- English and communication
- Building materials
- Strength of materials
- Mechanics of materials
- Estimation and costing
- Structural engineering
- Interior designing
- Town planning and construction
- Basics of architecture
- Project management
- Advanced architecture
- Hydraulics engineering
- Earthquake engineering
- Environment, pollution, and control
- Internal project
- External project
- Field visits
- Industry visits
- Viva voce
The following are the top 10 colleges in India to pursue a three-year course of diploma in architectural assistantship:
- Lovely Professional University, Punjab
- JSS Polytechnic College, Bengaluru
- Impact Polytechnic, Bengaluru
- Bhulabhai Vanmalibhai Patel Institute of Technology, Surat
- Dr. B R Ambedkar Government Polytechnic College, Una
- Amity University, Delhi
- Alliance University, Bengaluru
- Butler Polytechnic, Vadodara
- Anjuman E Islam Polytechnic College, Gadag
- Bhuvan Polytechnic College
The fee structure for any course whether it’s a diploma or a bachelor’s or a master’s degree course will usually depend on whether affiliated colleges are government colleges, government-aided colleges, or private universities. As a thumb rule, private universities and deemed universities will have a higher fee structure in comparison with government and government-aided colleges.
For a diploma in an architectural assistantship, the fee structure for 3 years will vary anywhere between Rs.1 lakh to Rs 5 lakh for the entire course. Then again there might be exceptions such as Government Polytechnic colleges where the fees will vary between Rs. 20000 to Rs. 80000 for the entire course.
The admission procedure for a diploma in architectural assistantship is pretty straightforward. If a candidate can fulfill the eligibility criteria that is mentioned above then based on merit he or she can get admission to any of the good colleges that offer this three-year program of diploma in an architectural assistantship.
However, certain colleges conduct their own entrance examinations or screening tests such as personal interviews or group discussions that a student might have to clear to get a seat in the college of his or her desire.
- Immediately after graduation with a diploma in architecture assistantship, a fresher will start working as an assistant to a civil engineer or an architect in any of the private or independent contracting companies.
- Depending on the competency level, the career growth will be steady and progressive for a graduate of diploma in Architectural Assistantship.
- After completion of a diploma in architecture assistantship and gaining a few years of hands-on industry experience, a student can pursue a degree in engineering or architecture from any of the top engineering colleges in the country or from another developed country such as the United States of America, Australia, or the United Kingdom.
The average pay package at the beginning of the career for a graduate or diploma in architectural assistantship will vary anywhere between rupees 15000 per month to rupees 50000 per month depending on the brand of the college that he or she is passing out from as well as the knowledge and competency level of the student.
5 years down the lane, a graduate with a diploma in architectural assistantship can become a full-fledged architect or a civil engineer on his own or in any of the private companies once he or she has gained enough knowledge of the industry.
1. Is Diploma in Architectural Assistantship worth doing?
A diploma in architectural assistantship is a perfect gateway for one to get into the field of civil engineering, construction, interior design, and architecture. With that in mind and with the right ambition and competency level, it is worth it for a student interested in the course to pursue a diploma in architectural assistantship in any of the top universities in India.
2. How much will it cost to pursue a diploma in architectural assistantship?
On average, it should not cost more than Rs. 4 lakhs to pursue a three-year course in diploma in an architectural assistantship.
3. What are the average placement records for a diploma in architecture assistantship?
A fresher who has just graduated with a diploma in architectural assistantship will start working as an assistant to any of the civil engineers or experienced architects. As a result of which, his or her starting salary will vary somewhere between Rs. 20000 for months to Rs. 40000 per month. In the beginning, one should concentrate more on learning than the pay package that they receive.
4. Which is better, a bachelor’s in architecture or a diploma in architecture assistantship?
It is difficult to compare a bachelor’s degree to a diploma degree and especially an architecture degree to an architectural assistantship degree. A diploma in Architectural Assistantship is just a gateway to get into the field of interior designing and architecture but an architecture course is a complete degree course that is going to help students become architects as a profession.