CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For Science 2020: Students who are preparing for the CBSE Class 10 board examination must be aware of CBSE Class 10 Syllabus for Science. The Central Board Of Secondary Education (CBSE) designs the academic CBSE Class 10 Syllabus for all subjects. Having a detailed knowledge of the CBSE 10th Class Science Syllabus will ensure students cover the entire syllabus without skipping any chapter or concepts. In this article, we will provide with the detailed CBSE 10th Science Syllabus. Also, students can download the CBSE Class 10 Syllabus for Science PDF from this article as we have provided the CBSE Syllabus for Class 10 Science in PDF format.
Science is one of the important subjects in Class 10 and it plays a crucial role in choosing the career stream in the Class higher secondary level. So students who want to shine in the stream of Science must score high in the Class 10 Science. For that having the detailed knowledge of the CBSE Class 10 Syllabus for Science is a must. Read on to find out the detailed CBSE Standard 10 Science Syllabus.
Note that due to the outbreak of Coronavirus and subsequent closure of schools, CBSE has reduced the syllabus for Class 10 by almost 30%. In this article, we will provide you with the revised CBSE 10th Science syllabus.
New CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For Science 2020
Considering the loss of teaching time, HRD Minister Ramesh Nishank has reduced the CBSE Class 10 Science Syllabus up to 30%. The list of portions that are deleted in CBSE Class 10 Science are given below:
CBSE Class 10 Science Syllabus: Marks Distribution
Before getting into the detailed CBSE Class 10 Syllabus for Science, let us see the units included in the syllabus along with the marks distribution:
|Unit No||Unit Name||Marks|
|1||Chemical Substance – Nature and Behaviour||25|
|2||World of Living||23|
|4||Effects of Current||13|
The CBSE board examination will be conducted for 80 marks and the remaining 20 marks are for Internal Assessment. Let us now look at the chapters and concepts under each unit of CBSE Class 10 Syllabus for Science.
CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For Science – Chemistry
The CBSE Class 10 Chemistry Syllabus is as below:
Unit I: Chemical Substances – Nature and Behaviour
- Chemical Reactions: Chemical equation, Balanced chemical equation, implications of a balanced chemical equation, types of chemical reactions: combination, decomposition, displacement, double displacement, precipitation, neutralization, oxidation and reduction.
- Acids, Bases and Salts: Their definitions in terms of furnishing of H+ and OH– ions, General properties, examples and uses, concept of pH scale (Definition relating to logarithm not required), importance of pH in everyday life; preparation and uses of Sodium Hydroxide, Bleaching powder, Baking soda, Washing soda and Plaster of Paris.
- Metals And Nonmetals: Properties of metals and non-metals; Reactivity series; Formation and properties of ionic compounds; Corrosion and its prevention.
- Carbon Compounds: Covalent bonding in carbon compounds. Versatile nature of carbon. Homologous series.
- Periodic Classification Of Elements: Need for classification, early attempts at classification of elements (Dobereiner’s Triads, Newland’s Law of Octaves, Mendeleev’s Periodic Table), Modern periodic table, gradation in properties, valency, atomic number, metallic and non-metallic properties.
CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For Science – Biology
The CBSE Class 10 Biology Syllabus is as below:
Unit II: World of Living
- Life processes: ‘Living Being’. The basic concept of nutrition, respiration, transport and excretion in plants and animals.
- Reproduction: Reproduction in animals and plants (asexual and sexual) reproductive health-need and methods of family planning. Safe sex vs HIV/AIDS. Childbearing and women’s health.
- Heredity and Evolution: Heredity; Mendel’s contribution- Laws for inheritance of traits: Sex determination: brief introduction;
CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For Science – Physics
The CBSE Class 10 Physics Syllabus is as below:
Unit III: Natural Phenomena
Reflection of light by curved surfaces; Images formed by spherical mirrors, centre of curvature, principal axis, principal focus, focal length, mirror formula (Derivation not required), magnification.
Refraction; Laws of refraction, refractive index. Refraction of light by the spherical lens; Image formed by spherical lenses; Lens formula (Derivation not required); Magnification. Power of a lens.
Refraction of light through a prism, dispersion of light, scattering of light, applications in daily life.
Unit IV: Effects of Current
- Effects Of Current: Electric current, potential difference and electric current. Ohm’s law; Resistance, Resistivity, Factors on which the resistance of a conductor depends. Series combination of resistors, parallel combination of resistors and its applications in daily life. Heating effect of electric current and its applications in daily life. Electric power, Interrelation between P, V, I and R.
- Magnetic Effects Of Current: Magnetic field, field lines, field due to a current-carrying conductor, field due to current carrying coil or solenoid; Force on current-carrying conductor, Fleming’s Left Hand Rule, Electric Motor, Electromagnetic induction. Induced potential difference, Induced current. Fleming’s Right Hand Rule.
CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For Science – Natural Resources
The CBSE Class 10 Natural Resources Syllabus are listed below:
- Our Environment: Eco-system, Environmental problems, Ozone depletion, waste production and their solutions. Biodegradable and non-biodegradable substances.
- Management Of Natural Resources: Conservation and judicious use of natural resources. Forest and wildlife; Coal and Petroleum conservation. Examples of people’s participation for conservation of natural resources. Big dams: advantages and limitations; alternatives, if any. Water harvesting. Sustainability of natural resources.
Best Books For CBSE Class 10 Science
Listed below are prescribed books for Class 10 Science:
|1||Science – Textbook for class X – NCERT Publication|
|2||Assessment of Practical Skills in Science – Class X – CBSE Publication|
|3||Laboratory Manual- Science -Class X, NCERT Publication|
|4||Exemplar Problems Class X – NCERT Publication|
Now you have a clear idea about CBSE 10th Science Syllabus.