Veterinary Science Course is for those candidates who feel love and care for the animals, and pets. A veterinarian manages the health and well-being of animals. He also plays a crucial role in health management of, reproductive health, conservation, prevention, nutrition, and biosecurity of animals.
If you feel like taking care of animals and you want to make a career in veterinary science there are many veterinary courses available in India and abroad. There are many areas in veterinary Science that you can choose as per your interest like Bachelor of Veterinary Science in Animal Nutrition, Veterinary Pathology, Animal Genetics and Breeding, Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, Veterinary Microbiology, etc.
Look into all other Course Details streamwise and category-wise.
- List of Veterinary Science Courses
- Veterinary Science Courses Eligibility
- Veterinary Science Course Fees
- Veterinary Science Entrance Exams
- Veterinary Science Courses Colleges List
- Veterinary Science Course Syllabus
- Career and Scope in Veterinary Science Courses
- Career Options after Veterinary Science Courses
- Salary after Veterinary Science Courses
- Who can join the Veterinary Science Course?
- Is there any Entrance Exam for Admission to Veterinary Science Course?
- What are the career opportunities of a Veterinarian?
- How much can I earn as a Veterinary Graduate?
List of Veterinary Science Courses
There are many courses available after qualifying 12th standard to make a career in Veterinary Science. You have to qualify 12th standard in Science field i.e Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. There are few diploma courses that are available after the 10th standard. For bachelor programs here are some areas in which you can take admission.
Veterinary Science Diploma Courses
You can join these diploma courses after qualifying 10th standard.
- Diploma in Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- Diploma in Veterinary Assistant.
- Diploma in Veterinary Pharmacy.
- Diploma in Veterinary Lab Technician.
- Diploma in Dairy Farming.
Under Graduate Programs in Veterinary Science Courses
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry. (BVSc&AH)
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science Pathology.
- Bachelor of Veterinary Microbiology.
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science in Animal Nutrition.
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science Animal Genetics and Breeding.
- Bachelor of Animal Production and Management.
Post Graduate Programs in Veterinary Science Courses
- Masters of Veterinary Science(MVSc).
- Masters of Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology.
- Masters of Animal Genetics and Breeding.
- Master of Veterinary gynecology.
- Masters of Animal Biotechnology.
- Masters of Epidemiology, Immunology, Bacteriology
- Masters of Veterinary Physiology.
- Masters of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology.
- Masters of Veterinary Economics.
Doctorate in Veterinary Science Courses
- Doctor of Philosophy in Veterinary Science Medicine.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology.
Veterinary Science Courses Eligibility
For admission to the Bachelor’s program in Veterinary Science, you have to qualify 12th standard in PCB i.e. Physics, Chemistry, and Biology with min 55% in Board Exam. After 12th standard you can opt for any college you want admission to. There are many colleges in India that conduct their own entrance test for admission in Veterinary Science Course.
The basic exam you have to qualify for getting admission in the Veterinary Science course is NEET. Most colleges consider the rank and mark obtained in the NEET exam for admission. Although some Universities conduct their own Entrance Exam such as BHU, UP VET, RRVT, OUAT, AAU VET, etc.
Veterinary Science Course Fees
The fee structure of the Veterinary Science Course is different for different colleges. In Bachelor’s Program, the fee ranges between 10000 thousand to 1 lakhs per annum approx depending upon the college. The fee for a master’s in veterinary science is approx 10 thousand to 1.5 lakh per annum.
Veterinary Science Entrance Exams
You have to appear and qualify for the National Entrance Exam Test (NEET) for getting admission in the Bachelor of Veterinary Science Course as per the guidelines of the Veterinary Council of India. Apart from the NEET exam some universities and states also conduct their Entrance Exam for admission to Veterinary Science Course. These are as follows:
- National Entrance Exam Test (NEET)
- Uttar Pradesh Veterinary Entrance Exam (UP VET)
- Rajasthan Pre-Veterinary Test (RRVT)
- Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT)
- Assam Agriculture University Veterinary Entrance Test (AAU VET).
- AP EAMCET
- CG PAT
Veterinary Science Courses Colleges List
There are many colleges in India that offer Bachelor, and Master’s programs in Veterinary Science. Some colleges are mentioned below:
- ICAR- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal.
- ICAR- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly
- Kerala Veterinary and Animal Science University, Pookode,
- Shri PV Narsimha Rao Telangana State Veterinary University, Hyderabad
- Chhattisgarh Kamdhenu Vishwavidyalaya, Durg
- Kamdhenu University, Gandhinagar.
- West Bengal University of Animal & Fishery Science, Kolkata.
- Guru Angad Dev Veterinary And Sciences University, Nagpur.
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Science University, Chennai
- Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar.
- Karnataka Veterinary Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, Bidar.
Veterinary Science Course Syllabus
The syllabus of veterinary Science includes subjects are mentioned below:
- Introductory Animal Husbandry
- Veterinary Anatomy in General And Osteology
- Scope and importance of Biochemistry
- Introduction and importance of statistics
- Livestock in India
- Introduction of grasslands and fodders In- Livestock Production
- Sense Organs and Receptors Physiology of Special Senses
- Muscle Physiology
- Enzymes: Definition and Classification
- Introduction and history of Microbiology
- Introduction and Scope of Veterinary Pathology
- Parasites and Parasitism
- Indian Poultry Industry
- General Histology
- Factors Affecting the Digestibility of a Feed
- Spermatogenic Cycle and Wave
- The Biting Midges
- Concepts in Veterinary and Medical Immunology
- Biochemical and Genetic Determinants of Growth
- Introduction and General Description of Protozoa and their Development
- Grass Morphological and Topographical study of Various Organs of the Digestive System.
- General Pathology of Viral Infections
- Milk Industry in India
- Milk Hygiene in Relation to Public Health
- Historical Development Branches and Scope of Pharmacology
- Drugs acting on the Autonomic Nervous System
- Definitions and Aims of Epidemiology
- Toxicology, Antibacterial Agents
- Types and functions of Placenta in Different Species
- Definitions of Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Taxonomy of Genera of wild and zoo animals.
Career and Scope in Veterinary Science Courses
After completing a Bachelor of Veterinary Science you will be appointed in Government and private sector. Government sectors like PETA work for the welfare and safety of animals. You can be a part of this institution after completing BVSc or MVSc. Some Job Profile in which you can work are mentioned below:
Job Profile of Veterinarian
- Veterinarian Physician
- Veterinarian Assistant
- Veterinarian Food Inspection Specialist
- Veterinarian Surgeon
- Veterinary Pharmacologist
- Veterinary Neurologist
- Veterinary Pharmacologist
- Veterinary Dermatologist
- Veterinary Epidemiologist
- Veterinary Pathology
- Veterinary Microbiologist
- Livestock Economist
- Veterinary Biotechnologist
Career Options after Veterinary Science Courses
You will be placed in government Veterinary hospitals and Research labs the Government as well as private institutes. A veterinary Dr. can open his own clinic for the treatment of animals and pets. There is a higher need for veterinary Dr. in our society as love for animals is increased a lot nowadays. In our country, the agriculture sector is very huge so there is much opportunity in animal rearing, poultry farming, Livestock Economist, etc. You can make a career in these areas too.
Many Government sectors like the Veterinary Institute of India, National Dairy Research Institute, Indian Council of Agricultural Institute, and National Institute of Animal Health also provide you an opportunity for research work and other posts.
Salary after Veterinary Science Courses
A Veterinarian can start their career with 10,000 Rs to 50,000 per month as per his profile of work. Veterinarian Assistant starts their work with 10,000 per month which increases with experience. In the Government sector, a veterinarian can start his job from 40,000 which increases over time. In your personal clinic, you can earn even more up to 10 lakh per annum.
FAQs on Veterinary Science Courses
1. Who can join the Veterinary Science Course?
Any candidate who has qualified for his 12th standard from a PCB background can join any veterinary science course.
2. Is there any Entrance Exam for Admission to Veterinary Science Course?
Yes, you have to appear for the NEET exam for admission to Veterinary Science Course.
3. What are the career opportunities of a Veterinarian?
A veterinarian can join a government and private veterinary hospital. There is a lot of opportunity in research work, in pharmacology and veterinary biotechnology.
4. How much can I earn as a Veterinary Graduate?
you can earn around 5 to 10 lakh per annum as a Bachelor of Veterinary Science.