Madras University Courses: The University of Madras is one of the oldest state public universities in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. This university will take admissions for the academic year 2022-2023 based on the candidate’s performance in CBCS Madras University Entrance Exam. It is established in the year 1857. Interested students have to fill the application forms before the last date.
The University of Madras conducts entrance tests to take admissions into UG/PG courses. Candidates have to attend TANCET and score best to get admission to MBA, MCA, and M.Tech programs. In this article, we are giving information regarding the admission process, important dates, UG, PG courses list, eligibility conditions, fees structure, and placements.
- University of Madras Courses Overview
- Why Madras University?
- University of Madras Courses
- Madras University Master Degree Courses & Eligibility Conditions
- Madras University Diploma Courses List & Eligibility
- University of Madras Courses, Eligibility – PG Diploma
- Certificate Madras University Courses and Eligibility
- Madras University Course Admission Process 2022
- Affiliated Madras University Colleges
- Madras University Courses and Fees
- Madras University Placements
- FAQ’s on University of Madras Courses
|Name of the University||University of Madras|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exams|
|Telephone Numbers||2539 9422, 2539 9746|
|Courses||UG, PG Courses|
Madras University is ranked 28th among the top universities in India by NIRF 2021. It is recognized by the UGC as a “potential for excellence” in the country. The university offers UG, PG, Diploma, Research, and Certificate programs. It has seven branches in Chetpet, Mariana, Chepauk, Guindy, Maduravoyal, and Taramani.
The University of Madras offers more than 230 courses in 87 departments. It also has 121 affiliated colleges, and 53 approved research centres. The departments are sciences, management, humanities, social sciences, and medicine. This university also provides distance education through IDE (Institute of Distance Education).
Madras University provides the best knowledge with research. The university provides various courses in multiple disciplines. It offers courses in 87 departments. Here are the list of disciplines:
- Polymer Science
- Ramanujan Institute for Advanced Study in Mathematics
- Center for Water Resource Management
- Politics and Public Administration-IDE
- Centre for Advanced Study in Botany
- Marina Library
- Center for Infrastructural Management Studies
- Agro Economic Research Centre
- Theoretical Physics
- National Centre for Nanosciences and Nanotechnology
- Library & Information Science
- Network Systems and Information Technology
- Central Instrumentation and Service Laboratory
- Centre for Endangered Languages
- Rajiv Gandhi Chair in Contemporary Studies
- Centre for Environmental Sciences
- Tamil Language
- National Centre for Ultrafast Process
- Counselling Psychology
- Centre for Natural Hazards and Disaster Studies
- Centre for Research on Dravidian Movement
- UGC – Centre for South and Southeast Asian Studies
- Social Work
- Centre for Ocean and Coastal Studies
- Women’s Studies
- Material Science
- Taramani Library
- Christian Studies
- Tamil Literature
- Guindy Library
- Medical Biochemistry
- Arabic, Persian and Urdu
- Indian History
- Adult and Continuing Education
- Centre for Cyber Forensics and Information Security
- Anna Centre for Public Affairs
- Physical Chemistry
- Management Studies
- Politics and Public Administration
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Pharmacology and Environmental Toxicology
- Management Studies-IDE
- Computer Science
- Dr. Ambedkar Centre for Economic Studies
- Defence and Strategic Studies
- Computer Science-IDE
- Ancient History and Archaeology
- Centre for Population Studies
- Chepauk Library
- Nuclear Physics
- Center for Thirukkural Research
- Journalism and Communication
- JBAS Center for Islamic Studies
- Applied Geology
- Sangapalagai for Tamil Development
- Physical Education and Sports
- Crystallography and Biophysics
- Legal Studies
- Organic Chemistry
- Indian Music
Every candidate who wish to apply for Madras University Courses of Master Degree must fulfil the eligibility criteria mentioned here.
|Madras University Course Master Degree||University of Madras Eligibility|
|M.A. Ancient History and Archaeology||Passed any Bachelor’s Degree Examination|
|M.A. Historical Studies||Bachelor’s degree in any subject|
|M.A. Sociology||Undergraduate Degree|
|M.A. Women’s Studies||Bachelor’s degree in any subject|
|M.A. Lifelong Learning|
|M.A. Human Resource Management|
|M.Sc. Criminology and Criminal Justice Science||Any Bachelor’s degree holder|
|M.Sc. Cyber Forensics & Information Security||Degree in Computer Science/ IT/ Computer Applications/ any relevant degree
B.Sc in Mathematics or B.E/B.Tech
|M.Ed||B.Ed or B.T|
|M.S.W. Social Work||Any Bachelor’s degree holder|
|M.A. Defence and Strategic Studies||B.A./B.Sc./B.Com|
|M.A. Political Science||B.A Political Science|
|M.A. Public Administration||B.A Public Administration|
|M.A. International Relations||B.A Political Science/History|
|M.A. Development Administration||Any Bachelor’s degree holder|
|M.A. Public Policy|
|M.A. Economics||B.A. Economics/B.Com./ B.A. Corporate Secretaryship/ BBA / B.Sc. Mathematics / B.Sc. Statistics|
|Masters of Journalism- Online Media||Any Bachelor’s degree holder|
|M.A. English||B.A. English or B.A. & B.Sc. with Part-II English|
|M.Com. International Business & Finance||B.Com|
|M.Lib.I.Sc. Library and Information Science||Bachelor’s degree|
|M. Sc. Statistics||B.Sc. Statistics or B.Sc. Mathematics with Statistics as subject|
|M.Tech. Geoinformatics||M.A./M.Sc. Degree|
|M. Sc. Biomedical Genetics||In the field of Life Sciences
In Medicines/Dental Veterinary and agriculture.
Students after finishing 12th class can apply for diploma courses in Madras University. Check the below sections to know the detailed eligibility criteria for all diploma courses.
|Diploma Course Name||Course Eligibility|
|Diploma in Telugu||Must have passed certificate course|
|Diploma in Italian||12th class & certificate course in Italian|
|Diploma in Hindi||+2 with Hindi or +2 with certificate course in Hindi|
|Diploma in Cybercrime and information security||Graduation|
|Jaina Temple Management||+2 exam|
|Learning Disabilities (LD)||Graduation from any UG or PG discipline|
|Diploma in Saiva Siddhanta||Certificate course in Saiva Siddhanta or Bachelor’s degree|
|Business Research Analytics||Degree|
Post graduate courses in Madras University eligibility conditions are along the lines:
|PG Diploma Course Name||Course Eligibility|
|Technical Writing||Graduate with good command on English|
|Ethics and Human Resource Management||Bachelor’s degree|
|P.G. Diploma in Periya Puranam Studies||Diploma Course in Siva Sidhanta or Bachelor degree|
|P.G. Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy||Bachelor’s degree|
|Banking and Finance||Degree|
|P.G. Diploma in Archaeology||Master’s degree|
|PG Diploma in Yoga Theory, Practice and Therapy||Graduate|
Avail the Madras University Certificate Courses and eligibility details from this page.
|Certificate Course Name||Course Eligibility|
|Certificate in Italian (SS)||12th class|
|Certificate in French (SS)|
|Certificate in Arabic||Graduate|
|Certificate in Urdu|
|Certificate in Kannada|
|Certificate in Hindi||+2|
|Certificate in Hospitality Management|
|Certificate in Pre-Primary Education|
|Certificate in Buddhist Studies|
|Certificate in Juvenile Justice and
Interested and eligible aspirants have to apply online for MU courses. Below mentioned are the guidelines on how to apply for the University of Madras.
- Visit the official website of the University of Madras i.e https://www.unom.ac.in/
- Check the eligibility conditions for the course you are applying for.
- You have to fill out the application form carefully.
- Pay the application fee online using credit/debit cards/internet banking/UPI.
- It is mandatory to provide a valid Email Id & mobile number.
- Attend the entrance exam and score qualified marks in it.
- Scan and upload required documents while filling out the applications.
- Community Certificate
- Mark sheet & Certificates of 10+2, Graduation, Post Graduation
- Certificate of proof for the differently-abled /Sports/ NCC / Ex.Servicemen
- Transfer Certificate and Conduct Certificate
More Related Articles
Here is the list of private MU affiliated colleges:
- Anna Adarsh College for Women, Chennai
- Asan Memorial College of Arts and Science, Chennai
- A.M. Jain College (Men), Chennai
- Annai Violet Arts and Science College, Chennai
- A.A. Arts and Science College (Women), Chennai, Chennai
- Alpha Arts and Science College, Chennai
- Annai Theresa College of Arts and Science, Kanchipuram
- Annai Veilankanni’s College of Arts and Science, Chennai
- Apollo Arts and Science College, Kanchipuram
The course fees structure for different MU courses i.e diploma, PG, UG, Master’s, Certificate is provided here:
|MU Courses List||Madras University Fees|
|MA||INR 5,305 (1st Year Fees)|
|M.Com||INR 5,305 (1st Year Fees)|
|M.Sc||INR 7,425 (1st Year Fees)|
|MBA in Madras University||INR 25,380 (1st Year Fees)|
|MCA||INR 22,580 (1st Year Fees)|
|M.Tech||INR 27,055 (1st Year Fees)|
|M.Ed||INR 8,305 (1st Year Fees)|
|M.Phil||INR 5,060 (1st Year Fees)|
|Ph.D||INR 0,970 (1st Year Fees)|
Madras University has an excellent placement department. The university placement cell is responsible for calling recruiting companies and providing training to the students so that they get placed in the best companies. The department is also responsible for counselling students in the career aspect.
1. How many courses are there in Madras University?
A total of 165 courses are available in the University of Madras.
2. What is the fees of the university of madras?
The Madras University Courses Fees range from Rs.6,500 to Rs.18,850 per year.
3. What are Madras University UG Courses?
The list of MU UG Courses are B.A, B.Sc, BMM, B.Com, and B.C.A in different disciplines.
4. Does Madras University have an entrance exam?
Admissions to Madras University PG Courses such as MBA, MSc, MA, and PhD are based on the entrance exam conducted by the university.
We are hoping that the information included here regarding Madras University Courses is helpful for the people who are willing to pursue UG/PG/Diploma/Certificate courses. Get to know about other University Courses details at our page.