List of Presidents of India: As per the Indian Consitution’s Article 53, the executive powers of the Union shall be exercised by the president of India both directly or through officers under him. President is the first citizen of India. The Indian President is appointed by an electoral college formed of the elected members of the Parliament, Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and Vidhan Sabha.
Do Refer: List of Prime Ministers of India
The nominal head of the government is President and he works on the word of the Prime Minister (Council of Minister). All the executive actions are taken by the President of India. In this article, you will come to know completely about the Indian Presidents and their tenure. Also, the first and current candidates who have been elected as President of India up to now. Also, check the list of presidents of India who served from the adoption of the Indian Constitution 1950 to 2021.
- List of All Presidents of India (1950-2020) – Key Points
- Complete List of Indian President’s with Names, Tenure & Description
- Eligibility for President of India
- Important Facts about the President of India
- FAQs on Full List of India’s Presidents from 1950 to 2020
Here are some of the important points that can be memorized by the students about the President of India and answer all General Knowledge & political questions regarding the Indian President’s from 1950 to 2020:
- President is the legal head of the parliamentary system of the government. Also, he is the chief commander of the Indian Armed Forces. A president portrays the nation makes no attempt to rule it. The actual authority vests with the council of ministers.
- The election of president post is done by the electoral college of
(i) elected members of state legislatures
(ii) elected members of both house of the Parliament
(iii) elected members of the legislative assemblies of Delhi and Puducherry (added by 70th amendment Act, 1992).
- President elects for five years to serve and also he is eligible for immediate re-election and serve any number of tenures.
- The VP plays the role of president in the absence of the president of India because of various valid reasons such as death, resignation, impeachment, or other situations. In case the Vice President is in absence means not in vacant then the Chief Justice of India serves as the President of India.
- If there is any violation of the Indian constitution done by the president of India, then he/she can be eliminated from the post. This charge can be moved in either house of parliament.
The Indian constitution was adopted on November 26th, 1949, and officially it came into drive on 26th January 1950. The first constitutional head of the state, the president of India is Dr. Rajendra Prasad. Current & 14th Indian President, appointed by the electoral college is Shri Ram Nath Kovind serving from 25th July 2017. The chronological order of the presidents of India is presented in the tabular form here. So, take a look at the List of Presidents of India from 1950 to 2020 & remember them:
|1.||Dr. Rajendra Prasad||26 January 1950 to 12 May 1962||
|2.||S. Radhakrishnan||13 May 1962 to13 May 1967||
|3.||Dr. Zakir Hussain||13 May 1967 to 3 May 1969||
|4.||Varahagiri Venkata Giri||3 May 1969 to 20 July 1969||
|Mohammad Hidayatullah||20 July 1969 to 24 August 1969||
|Varahagiri Venkata Giri||24 August 1969 to 24 August 1974||
|5.||Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed||24 August 1974 to 11 February 1977||
|Basappa Danappa Jatti||11 February 1977 to 25 July 1977||
|6.||Neelam Sanjiva Reddy||25 July 1977 to 25 July 1982||
|7.||Giani Zail Singh||25 July 1982 to 25 July 1987||
|8.||Ramaswamy Venkataraman||25 July to 1987 25 July 1992||
|9.||Shankar Dayal Sharma||25 July 1992 to 25 July 1997||
|10.||Kocheril Raman Narayanan||25 July 1997 to 25 July 2002||
|11.||A. P. J. Abdul Kalam||25 July 2002 to 25 July 2007||
|12.||Pratibha Patil||25 July 2007 to 25 July 2012||
|13.||Pranab Mukherjee||From 5 July 2012, Incumbent||
|14.||Ram Nath Kovind||25 July 2017–Incumbent||
The election of the President of India can be done by the process of proportional representation with a method of a single transferable vote. As per Article 58 of Indian Constitutions’, candidates need to be eligible with a few requirements for the election of the Indian President. Some of the qualifications for the post of President of India is enlisted below:
- Need to be an India Citizen.
- The minimum age should be 35 years.
- He should qualify as a member of the Lok Sabha for the election of a president.
- Shouldn’t control any office of profit under the central government, state government, or any other local authorities.
Here are a few facts regarding the list of all presidents of India that served the country with better improvements and subsidies. Also, these facts are commonly asked in the major competitive exams held in the country. So, get an idea about these important facts on Indian president and clear the exams with flying colors.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad was the longest-serving Indian President. He developed the country for two tenures as the President of India.
- Zakir Hussain was the shortest-serving President of the country and was the third Indian President. He died when he was in his office.
- To date, 7 Presidents have been members of a political party before serving the country as a president.
- The majority of the people (count:6) are active party members of the Congress Party.
- Current President Shir Ram Nath Kovind was the Governor of Bihar before elected as the President of India.
1. Who was the present Indian President?
Shir Ram Nath Kovind is the current President of India serving from 25th July 2017 to date.
2. How many presidents served the country up to now?
Till date, there are 17th Presidents of India who served for the country. The list of Presidents of India are given below with their birth & death years:
1. Dr. Rajendra Prasad (1884-1963)
2. Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (1888-1975)
3. Dr. Zakir Hussain (1897-1969)
4. Varahagiri Venkatagiri (1884-1980) (Acting)
5. Justice Mohammad Hidayatullah (1905-1992) (Acting)
6. Varahagiri Venkatagiri (1884-1980)
7. Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed (1905-1977)
8. B.D. Jatti (1913-2002) (Acting)
9. Neelam Sanjiva Reddy (1913-1996)
10. Giani Zail Singh (1916-1994)
11. R. Venkataraman (1910-2009)
12. Dr Shankar Dayal Sharma (1918-1999)
13. K.R. Narayanan (1920-2005)
14. Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam (1931-2015)
15. Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil (Birth-1934)
16. Shri Pranab Mukherjee (1935-2020)
17. Shri Ram Nath Kovind (Birth-1945)
3. Who is the first President of India?
Dr. Rajendra Prasad was the First President of India.
4. Name the first woman who served as Indian President?
Pratibha Patil was the first and so far only woman who served the country as a president of India.
5. Who conducts the election of the President of India?
The Election Commission of India conducts the election of the President of India.