ICU Diploma Course: ICU stands for intensive care unit. Critically ill patients are taken into the intensive care unit for quick treatment and continuous observation. An ICU diploma course is for those students who want to become trained professionals to deal with the patients in the ICU ward. The objective of this course is to develop advanced nursing care knowledge in critical settings. The students are taught how to apply advanced skills in caring for critically ill patients.
If you want to know about the details of the Diploma in Critical Care like ICU Diploma Course Duration, Fees, Admission, Future scope, jobs, etc. you’re at the right place! Keep reading this article to find out more about the course details, career opportunities, skills required to pursue this course, salary after completing an ICU Course in diploma.
- About ICU Diploma Course
- Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Critical Care Nursing in India
- Admission Process in an ICU Diploma Course for Doctors
- Top Colleges for Diploma in Critical Care Nursing in India
- Diploma in Critical Care Nursing Course Fees
- Skills Required for Doing an ICU Diploma Course
- Job Opportunities after Completing a Diploma in ICU
- ICU Diploma Course Certified Graduate Salary
- FAQ’s on Critical Care Diploma Course
An ICU diploma course provides the candidates with the necessary skills required for taking care of patients that are in the ICU ward. There are various posts on which an individual can work after completing their ICO diploma course in a particular field such as an intensive care unit technician, nurse, clinic nurse manager, etc.
Diploma courses for the intensive care unit can also be done in a distance learning mode or by attending college offline. The general duration of this course is one year, however, the exact duration of the course might depend upon different colleges.
The diploma in critical care nursing is a continuing nursing education program that aims at training professionals to develop advanced nursing care knowledge and also teach them the practical application of it.
In order to take admission in an ICU diploma course, the candidate must be a nursing professional already. The candidate must possess a valid nursing degree such as a B.Sc. nursing or an M.Sc nursing degree.
Someone who has not done nursing before and is not a nursing professional cannot do an ICU diploma course. This is a point to be noted that you must be a working professional at the time of applying for this diploma course.
Following is the admission process for an ICU diploma course:
- The student must have their nursing degree with them be it a B.Sc. nursing degree or an M.Sc nursing degree.
- The students can apply for this course in an online or offline manner.
- If the student is applying in an online manner, they must visit the website of the college they want to get admitted to.
- If the student is applying in an offline manner, the student must visit the college campus and fill out their application form.
- The students must carry all the necessary documents along with their previous degrees to submit along with the application form when they’re going for admission.
- The students are also advised to keep checking the website of the college they want to get admitted to in order to get the application form and admission updates.
There are various colleges all across the country that provide premium quality education in the diploma courses for intensive care units. Following is a list of top colleges for IQ diploma courses in India:
- AFMC – Armed Forces Medical College
- Jawahar Lal Nehru Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak Institute of Medical Sciences
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
- SRM College of Nursing
- Sri Venkateshwara Institute of Medical Sciences
- Noida International University
- College of Nursing CMC, Vellore
- Gopal Gowda Shanthaveri Memorial College of Nursing
- Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal university
- Holy Family Institute of Nursing Education, Mumbai
- Godavari foundation’s Godavari College of Nursing
- Baby Memorial College of Nursing, Calicut
- EMS College of Nursing, Puducherry
- Government College of Nursing, quote I am
- KMCH College of Nursing, Coimbatore
- Sridevi Institute of Nursing, Tumkur
- Harsha Group of Institutions, Bangalore
- Narayan Nursing College, Jamuhar
- Kohinoor Technical Institute, Mumbai
The fee for the entire course of a diploma in the intensive care unit can range from somewhere between INR 5,000 INR 1,00,000 or more depending upon the College to which the student gets admitted.
Since this is a field related to medical science, there are various skills that an individual must possess if they want to go for an ICU diploma course. So let’s look at some of the skills that are mandatory for an individual who wants to do an ICU diploma course:
- Communication Skills: ICU professionals have to regularly communicate between people, doctors, the entire team, patients, and their family members of the patients.
- Decision-making skills: The professionals in the medical field are responsible for making several decisions throughout their day and a lot of them might be very critical for the patient.
- Problem-solving skills: The professionals in the ICU department must have problem-solving skills that will allow them to handle problems in a much better way and determine proper solutions. They must know how to handle stressful situations and must have research skills, team-building skills, analysis skills, creativity, dependability, active listening skills.
- Interpersonal skills: ICU professionals must have very strong interpersonal skills to handle tasks related to patients and communicate those with other people. Professionals with solid interpersonal skills are much better at handling stressful situations and stress management.
- Patience: Patience is extremely important for all professionals in the medical field. Medical professionals cannot rush anything as even a small mistake and have an extremely negative effect upon the patient’s health. All the professionals have to deal with situations in a much calmer and patient way.
- Observational skills: Medical professionals must be very observant. Observational skills allow individuals to monitor their environment and come to conclusions based upon the observations that they have made. ICU nurses must have very strong observational skills as the patients in the ICU ward are mostly extremely sick.
Completing a diploma in ICU opens up a lot of job opportunities for individuals. Since the medical field is a field that is constantly growing, one can never have a lack of opportunities if one is working in this field. Following are the job opportunities that a student can get after they have completed their ICU diploma course:
- Critical care nurse: The responsibility of a critical care nurse is to look after general and pre, post-operative patients.
- Registered nurse: Registered nurses are responsible for administering the medical care, communicating everything to the patients, doctors, and the patient’s families, performing tests, and dealing with the patients on a daily basis.
- Nursing instructor: Nursing instructors are responsible for teaching students about the aspects and problems of being a critical care nurse. Mostly, experienced people are hired for this role.
- Rehabilitation specialists: They help patients with psychological disorders or some addictions. They teach patients how to change their old lifestyles and adopt healthier lifestyles. They try to make patients better both physically and mentally.
- Critical nurse manager: The job of a critical nurse manager is related to management and they must also handle the finance of the work unit. They need to keep track of admitted patients, discharged patients, and they must assign new patients to the nurses.
- Staff Nurse: Critical care nurses can also work as staff nurses when there are no rush hours or there are lesser patients in the ICU. They usually take care of the patients and communicate with their families.
The salary of a professional working in the intensive care unit after completing their diploma in ICU is somewhere between INR 2,00,000 to INR 4,00,000 per annum as a fresher. The salary of an individual definitely keeps on increasing as their experience in the field keeps on increasing they also get promoted to different roles according to their experience of work in the medical field.
1. What are the job options after an ICU diploma course?
Following other job profiles for candidates who have completed their ICU diploma course:
- Critical care nurse
- Registered nurse
- Nursing instructor
- Rehabilitation specialists
- Critical nurse manager
- Staff Nurse
2. What is the duration of an ICU diploma course?
The duration of an IQ diploma course is one year. However, the exact duration might depend upon the college to which the candidate is admitted.
3. What is the fee of a critical care diploma course?
The fee for a critical care diploma course is somewhere between INR 5,000 to INR 1,00,000 or more depending on the college.
We hope that this article was able to provide you with all the information regarding an ICU diploma course. We have provided all the course details as ICU diploma course duration, eligibility criteria, the admission process for this course, fee structure, top colleges, skills required to pursue this course, job profiles, and salary after an ICU diploma course. Having complete information about the course will help you make an informed decision for yourself. All the best!