Imagine yourself walking down a road when a stranger comes up to and says, “that is an amazing sweatshirt” or imagine that a loved one brought you food because you helped them with something. In such situations, people always look for phrases to say in English that can accurately and effectively express your feeling of thankfulness.
Gather Information Regarding Basic English Skills and become proficient in the language and speak fluently with confidence. Try the Tips over here and Improve your English Writing and Speaking Skills.
Importance of Thanking
It can be considered quite rational to state that you might be considered to be rude to someone if you don’t thank them when it might be needed. Thanking someone does not take any effort whatsoever and is perceived to be exceedingly courteous, and an everyday etiquette. In addition to thanking strangers for random acts of kindness, this phrase is also utilized as one of the most significant tools while conversing with friends as well as loved ones. Although using a phrase to thank someone might be ubiquitous, it can still mean a lot to the receiver and is always welcome.
There may come numerous instances where you either might be feeling bad after realising that you could have said thank you to someone or feel resentment or conviction against another who might ought to but did not say thank you to you. In modern life, there are often subconscious inhibitions of judgment towards the wrongdoing of someone. This can especially regard the despair that a lot of people feel when they expect someone to thank them and don’t receive the same. This creates resentment after the fact or happening which only attributes to how a person is perceived, which in this case, would be ‘rude’.
Both the aforementioned perspectives provide high motivation towards building a habit or a reflex action of saying thank you to another.
The conveyance of gratitude towards someone through a couple of words can always have a positive effect. This can help you better your relationships with friends, family, acquaintances, or in a formal setting. In addition to this, thanking someone always conveys the fact that you consider them and their advice/help, etc. important and acknowledge that it matters to you thereof.
Hindrances Involved and how to Overcome them
In any situation, where a person may not thank you when they ought to, there may be three issues that could have been given regard to. These are briefly explained as follows:
- The first instance involves a person not being able to express their gratitude by not knowing how to say thank you. This can further refer to not being able to use the phrases that would be appropriate with the situation and help them express themselves.
Now, although it may be better to be specific while showing gratitude, it can suddenly become overwhelming for a person to choose amongst the plethora of phrases adapted by the English language while expressing gratitude to a person.
Therefore, the focus may be given on developing a habit of thanking people when required rather than using the appropriate words. Still, words like ‘Thank You’, ‘Thanks a lot’ and ‘Thank You So Much’ are some of the popular phrases that are used while displaying gratitude.
As you can see above, the intensity of expression increases phrase by phrase. At times, you may require yourself to express a higher level of gratitude towards say a significant other. Here, you may utilize phrases such as ‘I appreciate you’, and ‘I am grateful to have you’, etc. The types of phrases for each of these settings are explained in detail under the following sections.
- The Second instance concerns a specific situation scheme. This means that the person not saying thank you might not know ‘when’ to say it. Overcoming this can be an easy task and entails the requirement of displaying appreciation for someone whenever you may receive the benefits of any act done by another.
Through conscious and daily usage, one may become exceedingly fluent with the use of ‘thank you’ or other phrases of the like at appropriate timings. Some of the instances that might involve thanking can be,
(1) When someone helps you with carrying your stuff for you;
(2) When someone offers you a food article or a drink even if you may/may not have it;
(3) When you get hired as an employer by the interviewer and many others.
Example: Y asks Z, “How have you been doing?”
Response: “Good, thank you for asking. How are you?”.
- The third instance is fairly much simpler. It refers to people simply not thanking others. Such actions may originate from regional capacities of the usage of language. This means that certain people might not have a habit of thanking others due to the reason that very less people use such phrases while conversing in their local region. However, it may also be true that certain people who do not actively use words to say thank you, maybe utilizing other methods of displaying gratitude or appreciation such as facial expressions (a smile and a nod).
Another issue that many people have is how to reply when someone says thank you. Phrases such as ‘You’re welcome’ or ‘My pleasure’ or ‘No worries/problems’ it ‘It’s alright’ can be used at such instances.
Consideration may be given to the previous two points in regards to the betterment of the third issue.
How To Say Thank You:-
In a Casual Setting
Casual settings can relate to day to day conversations with family, friends, and loved ones. There are numerous ways in which a person may informally express gratitude. Words and phrases like Thanks!, Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it, I owe you one, I cannot thank you enough, etc. can be used in such situations. Some of the examples of a casual setting are as follows:
- Your friend helped you in finishing your homework on time.
Response:- Thank you so much. I appreciate the help!
- Your significant other made you dinner.
Response:- That is so thoughtful. I don’t know what I would do without you!
In a Formal Setting
Formal setting involves the use of a formal/ professional language that might be at the work office, a networking event, a wedding, a lecture, etc. This can involve both oral and written phrases displaying appreciation. Therefore, in such settings, there is a need to use more formal words such as ‘I’m grateful for your help’, ‘It is very kind of you to aid me’, ‘Thank you for going through the trouble’, etc. Following are some of the examples of a formal setting.
- A superior helps you with competing work before the deadline.
Response: It is very kind of you to help me with finishing my work. Thank you!
- When a person helped you through the passing away of a loved one.
Response:- I am extremely grateful for your help at the time of need. Thank you for taking the time to help me go through the grief.
How Saying Thank You will reward You
Frequent display of appreciation or gratitude can always lead to better service. People who receive appreciation for some act that they did for you will certainly motivate them to go through the extra mile for you. Proven facts also provide that this can lead to a happier and more successful life. In addition to being the correct thing to do, a thankful person is also construed to be rather savvy.
Eileen Caddy, an author, spiritual leader, and an MBE had once mentioned that gratitude helps you grow, expand, get happier and bring happiness and laughter to everyone around you. This statement stays true to date and even more so with the ever-changing social phenomena and human perceptions.