A teacher has huge respect in our society because it is the profession that guides the children to have a great career and tells them what is good and what is bad. In our childhood, most of us may have thought to become a teacher. The teaching field is always the right choice to make as a career. But one thing comes to our mind how to become a government school teacher in India? Don’t worry, we will provide the guidelines to you on how to become a government school teacher.
Before you apply for the government teacher post you have to go through the courses details, educational qualifications, age limit, selection procedure, etc. Once you reach all the required qualifications then you can apply for the government school teacher job. Scroll down this page to know complete details on how to become a government teacher.
- How to become a government school teacher in India
- Entrance Exam for Govt Teacher Posts
- Government Teacher Posts in India
- Eligibility Criteria to become a government school teacher – Educational Qualification, Age Limit
- Selection Procedure for Government School Teacher in India
- Career Growth for Govt. School Teacher in India
- Salary of Government Teacher
- What is the starting salary of a government teacher in India?
- What are the steps to become a government school teacher?
- Is B Ed compulsory for the CTET exam?
If you have an interest in the teaching field, then you have to put in full effort to qualify for the exams. First of all the candidates must have completed 12th with more than 60%. After that, you have to join any of the courses that are given below.
List of Courses that are helpful to become a government school teacher. The candidate must have completed any of these courses to apply for the post of a government school teacher.
- Elementary Teacher Education Program
- Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.EI.Ed.)
- Pre-School Teacher Education Program
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)
- Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed.) Program
- Diploma in Education (D.Ed.)
- Physical Education Program (C.P.Ed.)
- Master of Education Program (M.Ed.) (Part-Time)
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) (Open and Distance Learning System)
- Nursery Teacher Education Program
- Master of Education Program (M.Ed.)
- Master of Education Program (M.Ed.) (Open and Distance Education Learning System)
If you have qualified for any of these courses with an aggregate of 80% from any of the recognized institutions or universities then you will be eligible for writing the entrance exam for teaching jobs.
TET exams stand for Teacher Eligibility Tests. The candidates who dream to become Government school teachers must appear for the entrance exams conducted by the state and central government.
- TET – This is for both state and central government teaching jobs in India. There are two levels of TETs, one is prelims and the other is mains.
- CTET – Central Teacher Eligibility Test to teach in the schools of the central government.
- STET – State Teacher Eligibility Test to teach in the schools of the central government.
- NET – UGC NET is the eligibility for an assistant professor post in Indian Universities and colleges.
- PRT, PGT, TGT – These are the test that tests the teacher eligibility to teach up to the 5th level, 10th level, and 12th level.
There are three different posts in government teacher. They are
- Pre Primary Teacher
- Primary Teacher
- Trained Graduate Teacher
- Post Graduate Teacher
1. Pre-Primary Teacher: As the name itself says they are the teachers of the pre-primary teaching post. They will teach the students from LKG to 1st class.
2. Primary Teacher: The primary teachers will teach the students from classes 1 to 5.
3. Trained Graduate Teacher: TGT’s are responsible to teach the students from class 6 to class 8. They teach specialized subjects in schools.
4. Post Graduate Teacher: PGT’s will teach the students from class 9 to class 12.
The eligibility criteria to become a government school teacher in various fields are provided in the below table.
|Government School Teacher Eligibility Criteria: TGT, PGT, PRT
|TGT (Trained Graduate Teacher)
|Must have completed graduation in B.Ed from any stream with above 60% marks.
|General: 21-35 years
|OBC: 21 – 38 years
|SC/ST: 21-40 years
|40,000 to 50,000 approx.
|PGT (Post Graduate Teacher)
|Must have completed post-graduation like MA/M.Com/M.SC/M.Ed with more than 60% from any recognized university.
|General: 21-40 years
|OBC: 21 – 43 years
|SC/ST: 21-45 years
|50,000 to 90,000 approx.
|PRT (Primary Teacher)
|Must have completed graduation in Be.Ed from any stream with above 50% marks.
|General: 21-35 years
|OBC: 21 – 38 years
|SC/ST: 21-40 years
|Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 30,000 approx.
The selection of the government school teacher is simple compared to other government jobs in India. There are three stages to complete the recruitment process for govt. school teacher jobs.
- Apply and write CTET or TET exam
- Candidates who have cleared the CTET or TET entrance exam are eligible to apply for the openings in government schools.
- Interview process
The career path is good for the teachers in government schools based on their skills, performance, and experience.
- Junior teacher
- Senior teacher
- Assistant teacher
The payment structure of the government school teacher is different for fresher and experienced candidates. In the initial stage of the teacher post, you will be getting on an average of Rs. 2.5 lakhs to 3.5 lakhs per annum. And the experienced teacher will get approximately Rs. 7.5 to 8.5 lakhs per annum. The advantage of the government school teacher is that they get PF after retirement every month.
FAQs on How to become a Government School Teacher
The initial salary for the govt school teacher is Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 35,000 per month.
There are four stages to become a govt school teacher.
1. Complete B.Ed after 12th.
2. Teacher training course
3. CTET/TET qualification
4. Recruitment exam/Personal Interview
No, the B.Ed course is not mandatory to apply for the CTET exam.
Check the websites regularly to know the government school teacher recruitment details. Also remember that the candidates are eligible only when you clear the entrance exams like TET, CTET. Hope the details prevailed in this article are satisfactory for you. Keep in touch with us to get the latest information on how to become a government teacher in India.