Careers in Biotechnology & Allied Fields: Biotechnology is a research oriented field with application in almost every area of our life. From Agriculture, Medicine, Environmental Conservation, and Animal Husbandry – all such fields have a direct link with biotechnology. It is an integrated use of biochemistry, molecular genetics, microbiology, and processing technology which aims to find applications of micro¬organisms or cells for practical or industrial purposes.
Careers in Biotechnology & Allied Fields
Careers in Biotechnology & Allied Fields Genetic Engineering
A recent off-shoot of biotechnology research in genetic engineering which involves gene splicing, recombinant DNA cloning, and tissue culture technology.
Genetic engineering, transfers genes from one species to another has greatly enhanced the power of biotechnology. In principle, genes can be transferred between any organism from a bacterium to a plant, for example, or even from humans to other animals although the techniques for products from fermentation can be used in conjunction with genetic engineering.
Careers in Biotechnology & Allied Fields Nature of work
Biotechnologists apply scientific and engineering principles and practices to develop new materials or modify micro-organisms, plants and animals. Recent developments have been used in disease diagnosis and control in humans and animals, animal plant production, the production of alternative fuels, and in more efficient treatment of wastes.
Who is eligible?
Students with science at the intermediate level are eligible for B.Sc Biotechnology (3 years duration) and B.Tech Biotechnology (4 years duration). Similarly, You have the opportunity to go for B.Sc in Genetics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Medical Microbiology, Industrial Biotechnology, etc. after 10+2. Admission into IIT’s B.Tech/5 year Integrated M.Tech (Dual program) in Biotechnology is made on the basis of JEE (Advanced). Some other institutes also conduct entrance exam for the admission in Biotech courses. MBA Biotechnology: The University of Pune pioneered a unique two-year full-time MBA program in biotechnology. The syllabus is based on the managerial aspect and the rest covers the details of biotechnology. Some other Universities have also started offering MBA Biotechnology course.
Biotechnologists must be able to think logically and analytically and make detailed observations as well as work with precision and paying attention to detail. They must also have a flexible approach to problem solving, be able to work in a team, possess initiative, perseverance and patience with good communication skills.
Biotechnology covers a wide field of employment from pure research to industrial applications in the food and pharmaceutical industries. Professionally trained biotechnologist can be successful entrepreneurs as they can set up their own industries or can operate as consultants. In this way, a biotechnologist can even provides jobs to others and in turn get reward for their knowledge and expertise. Career options for biotechnologists exist in the following areas of work:
Research & Development Department; Research Associate. Research Assistant, Media Prep Technician, Greenhouse Assistant, Plant Breeder
Quality Control Department:
Quality Control Analyst, Quality Control Engineer, Environmental Health and Safety Specialist, Quality Assurance Auditor, Validation Engineer, Validation Technician
Clinical Research Department:
Clinical Research Administrator, Clinical Coordinator, Clinical Programmer, Biostatistician, Clinical Data Specialist, Drug Experience Coordinator, Clinical Research Associate
Manufacturing and Production:
Product Development Engineer, Production Planner Scheduler, Manufacturing Technician, Packaging Operator, Manufacturing Research Associate, Instrument / Calibration Technician, Biochemical Development Engineer, Process Development Associate, Assay Analyst, Manufacturing Engineer
Regulatory Affairs Specialists, Documentation Coordinator, Documentation Specialist
Library Assistant, Scientific Programmer Analyst
Marketing & Sales:
Market Research Analyst, Systems Analyst, Sales Representative, Customer Service Representative, Technical Services Representative
Technical Recruiter, Human Resources Representative, Buyer, Patent Administrator, Patent Agent
Careers in Biotechnology & Allied Fields Remuneration
Although remuneration in the industry varies on the basis of experience, position and performance, you are paid lucrative pay and perks. However, most of the opportunities are available only after postgraduation. But after completing B.Sc or B.Tech, you may apply for assistant positions to gain some experience and simultaneously you can pursue your postgraduation program. The industry offers salary ranging from Rs.15000 to 1 lakh p.m. or plus in India. To the deserving, better packages are offered outside India.
Careers in Biotechnology & Allied Fields Institutes & Courses
Biotechnology is offered by many Engineering Colleges/Institutes affiliated to various universities. For details you my refer to the section on ‘Engineering & Technology” in this book. IITs and NITs offering courses in biotechnology are listed below. Admission is generally made on the basis of merit in the entrance examinations.
Careers in Biotechnology & Allied Fields IITs offering B-Tech in Biotechnology
The following Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) offer B. Tech in Biotechnology/5-year integrated M.Tech. (Dual Degree) in Biotechnology. Selection is made on the basis of JEE-Adavanced score.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati 781039, Ph: 0361-2692788, www.iitg.ac.in/jee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, (U.P.)Ph: 03222-281881/2 78241, www.iitkgp.ac.in offers 4-year B. Tech, in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engg. and 5-year M.Tech. (Dual Degree) in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engg.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, Ph: 044-22578223 , jee.iitm.ac.in, offers 4-year B.Tech. in Biotechnology and 5-year M. Tech. (Dual Degree) in Biotechnology.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, Ph: 01332-279805,279806, www.iitr.ac.in/jee.
Note: Details about JEE-Advanced are given on page No. 47.
Biotechnology courses offered by National Institutes of Technology
The following National Institutes of Technology (NITs) offer under mentioned Biotechnology courses. Selection is made on the basis of JEE- Main.
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur, Ph: 91771-2254200, www.nitrr.ac.in, offers 4-year Bio-medical Engineering (40 seats), Biotechnology (40 seats).
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli, Ph: 0431-2501801-808 2500370 www.rangoli.rect.emet.in, offers 4-year BE in Biotech Engg.
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad, Ph: 0532-2445100 (Direct) 2445103-7, 0532-2545284, www.mnit.ac.in, offers 4-year BE in Biotechnology.
Some of the Universities offering Biotechnology courses are:
Block – J2, Gate No: 3,
Amity University Campus Sector-125, Noida – 201313 (UP)
Mob: +91 8448396303
Email: [email protected]
Other Campuses: Lucknow, Jaipur, Gurgaon, Gwalior, Greater Noida, Raipur, Kolkata, Mumbai, Ranchi, Patna, offers
- B.Sc. (Hons) – Biotechnology. Eligibility: PCB min. 60% for Non sponsored & 55% for Sponsored category
- B.Sc. (Hons) – Biotechnology + B. Ed. Eligibility: PCB min. 60%
- B.Sc. (Hons) – Biotechnology (3 Continent) Eligibility: PCB min. 60% for Non sponsored & 55% for Sponsored category. (One of the semester of the program will be conducted in UK and USA)
- B.Sc. (Hons) – Medical Biotechnology Eligibility: PCB min. 60% for Non- Sponsored & 55% for sponsored category.
- B.Sc. (Hons.) – Medical Biotechnology (3 Continent). Eligibility: PCB min. 60% for Non sponsored & 55% for Sponsored category. (One of the semester of your program will be conducted in UK and USA)
- B.Sc. + M.Sc. – Biotechnology (Dual Degree). Eligibility: PCB min. 60% for Non sponsored & 55% for Sponsored category
- Anna University, Chennai; Noida, www.annauniv.edu
- Andhra University, Waltair, Visakhapatnam; www.andhrauniversity.edu.in
- Annamalai University, Annamalainagar; www.annamalaiuniversity.ac.in
- Avinashlingam University for Women, Coimbatore, www.avinuty.ac.in
- Banasthali Vidyapeeth, Banasthali; www.banasthali.org
- Bangalore University, Bangalore www.bangaloreuniversity.ac.in
- Bharthiar University, Coimbatore, www.b- u.ac.in
- Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, www.bdu.ac.in
- Bundelkhand University, Jhansi; www.bujhansi.ac.in
- University of Calicut, Dist. Thenhipalam; www.uoc.ac.in
- University of Delhi, Dwarka; www.du.ac.in
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar; www.hau.ac.in
- Osmania University, Hyderabad 500007 offers B.Sc. in Genetic Science. www.osmania.ac.in
- Kakatiya University, Warangal 506009 offers B.Sc. in Genetic Science. www.kakatiya.ac.in
Careers in Biotechnology & Allied Fields Biochemistry
A biochemist is an expert in the field of biochemistry. Growth and heredity are also the important functions of a biochemist. As far as career prospectus in Biochemistry are concerned, Biochemists dealing with Biochemical Genetic research are very much in demand in India and abroad. Those having Cell Biology, Genetics, Biochemical Methods as a specialization have an upper edge. Openings in this field exist in the teaching profession, research institutions of Pharmaceutical and Agro Chemical industries. Similarly, openings for biochemists exit in the R & D and Scientific departments in industry, Public Sector labs, hospitals and universities. You can also take up teaching jobs in schools and colleges.