Biotechnology Information System: “The marriage between Biology and Computer Science is known as Bioinformatics.” Computer software are used for data base creation, data management, data wharehousing, datamining and global communication network.
Careers in Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics deals with the various issues related to the biological data. It also covers the development of data analysis tools, modelling of biological macromolecules and their complexes, metabolic pathways, designing of new molecules such as drugs, peptide vaccines, proteins, etc. Gradually, Bioinformatics has evolved to deal
Bioinformatics may, therefore, be defined as a scientific discipline that encompasses all the aspects of biological information, viz., acquisition, processing, storage, distribution, analysis and interpretation, that combines the tools and techniques of mathematics, computer science and biology with the aim of understanding the biological significance of a variety of data.
Functions of a Bioinformatics Centre
1. The Principal objectives of a Bioinformatics Centre is to function as an information base in each speciality so that the scientists have ready access to the computer-based information on resources, databases in subject fields, and to build up expertise in bioinformatics in keeping with the rapid development in this area.
2. To provide a computer-based information storage and retrieval system of database that collects structured information generated by research and industrial institutions in the identified fields of biotechnology, continually update the data bank and make the information available to the users,
3. An active network mode, in which the scientists get access to the biotechnology in the identified areas, answer requests for information in an interactive and discursive mode and actively initiate dialogue among groups with common interest.
4. To provide retrieval service either on line or off-line in their specialized areas and to give overall information support even in areas other than those assigned to them.
5. To provide communication link with international databases for selective bibliographic information for the user scientists.
6. To develop software packages and databases specific to user needs.
7. To conduct training courses in the specialized areas, periodically to meet the special requirements of manpower development in the area and to promote awareness about the computerized storage and retrieval facility among bio-scientists andinformation scientists.
Careers in Bioinformatics Personal attributes
Keen interest in Biology, good knowledge of computer softwares, mental alertness, management skills, logical and analytical ability, etc. are some of the personal attributes required by Bioinformatics professionals.
Careers in Bioinformatics Employment Opportunities
Bioinformatics professionals get placements in pharmaceutical and Biotech companies, premier scientific research institutes, government and private hospitals as well as in colleges and Universities.
Pay & Perks:
If you are employed in government research institutes and hospital, you get Rs. 15,000 to Rs 30,000 p.m. depending upon work profile and experience. Professors in government colleges get basic pay of Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000 per month. Those working in private sector pharmaceutical companies or multinational companies get a pay scale of Rs 4,50,000 – Rs 6,00,000 per annum.
Those who have a degree in BSc. from Biology group can seek admission in MSc. in Bioinformatics and those who having MSc. degree in Biological Science are eligible for admission to postgraduate diploma.
Careers in Bioinformatics Institutes & Courses
Some of the Universities/Institutes offering undergraduate courses in Bioinformatics are listed below:
Admission Office: Block – J2, Gate No: 3,
Amity University Campus, Sector-125, Noida – 201313 (UP)
Ph. : 0120-4392000,© +91 8448396303,
Email: [email protected] www.amity.edu
Lucknow, Jaipur, Gurgaon, Gwalior, Greater Noida, Raipur, Kolkata, Mumbai, Ranchi, Patna, offers B.Tech (Bioinformatics). Eligibility: Min. 60% in class X & XII with min. 60% in PCM/PCB for Non-sponsored & 55% for Sponsored category.
- Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608002 (T.N.) offers 5-year Integrated M.Sc. Bioinformatics. Eligibility: 10+2 or equivalent there to with a minimum of 60% aggregate with the following subjects viz. Physics, Chemistry, Biology OR Computer Science.
- Bioinformatics Institute of India, C-56A/28, Sector 62 Noida 201301 (Ph 0120-4320801/02, Mob: 09818473366) offers B.Sc.Bioinformatics.
- Dr. D.Y. Patil University, Sant Tukaram Nagar,
Pimpri, Pune 411018
(www.dypatiluniversity.org) offers B.Tech in Bioinformatics. Eligibility: 10+2 with a minimum of 50% marks in PCB taken together.
- Goswami Ganesh Duttasanatan Dharma College, Sector 32-C, Chandigarh (www.ggdsd.com) offers B.Sc.(Hons.) Bioinformatics.
- Jaipuria Institute, Sector 14-C Vasundhara, Ghaziabad (U.P.) (www.jaipuriainstitute.org) offers 3-year BSc. (Hons.) in Bioinformatics. Eligibility: 10+2 with Biology.
- M.J.P. Rohilkhand University, Bareilly (U.P.), offer 2-year B.Sc. in Bioinformatics.
- Mukand Lai National College, Yamun-anagar (Haryana) offers B.Sc. Bioinformatics.
- Sathyabama University, Jeppiaar Nagar, Old Mahabalipuram Road, Chennai 600119 (Ph 044-24501644 (www.satyabama.ac.in) offers 4-year B.E./BTech. in Bioinformatics. Eligibility: Should have passed in HSC (10+2) with Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology.
- VIT University, Vellore 632014 (T.N.) (www.vit.ac.in) offers 4-yr. B.Tech. in Bioinformatics.
SRM UNIVERSITY DELHI-NCR Sonepat:
Plot. No. 39, Rajiv Gandhi Education City, P.S. Rai, Delhi NCR, Sonepat 131029 (Har.)
Admission Helpline (Whatsapp): 8816033306
Toll free: 1800180 1216
Email: [email protected]
offers B. Tech, in Bioinformatics