B.sc Biotechnology Course Details: Biotechnology is a vast area of biology. Depending on the tools and forms, it often overlays with relevant scientific fields. It is a study of the genetic, chemical, and physical attributes of tissues, cells, and organisms to produce new technologies, processes, and products that will enrich the quality of human life.
Applicants who are influenced by organic sciences and have excellent problem-solving skills and are skilled with computers should go for this program. Biotechnology graduates attract several high-paying job possibilities across the country. The course is ever-evolving, and after completing the program, one can become a research scientist, specialist, Biotech analysts in their respective fields.
- B.Sc Biotechnology Course Highlights
- B.Sc Biotechnology Eligibility Criteria
- B.sc Biotechnology Course Duration
- B.Sc Biotechnology Admission Process
- B.Sc Biotechnology Course Fee Structure
- Required Skillset for B.sc Biotechnology Course
- B.Sc Biotechnology Course Syllabus/Curriculum
- B.Sc Biotechnology Course Subjects
- List of Institutes and Labs for B.Sc Biotechnology Course
- B.sc Biotechnology Scope
- List of Organizations to join after B.sc Biotechnology Course
- B.sc Biotechnology Salary
- What is the scope of the BSc Biotechnology course?
- What are the job opportunities after BSc Biotechnology?
- Why is the Biotechnology course important?
- Name some of the Institutes for the course?
- What is the eligibility criteria for the B.sc Biotechnology Course?
A Brief on B.Sc Biotechnology Course
B.sc in Biotechnology is an undergraduate course. Biotechnology is a part of applied biology that requires the usage of animals and plants and make useful products from them and also involves the use of bioprocesses in engineering, technology, medicine, and other fields requiring by-products.
The most prominent method used is genetic engineering, which allows scientists to tailor an organism’s DNA. Biotechnology provides cellular and biomolecular methods to advance the technologies and products that help enhance our lives and the well-being of our planet. The course is ever-evolving, and after completing the program, one can become a research scientist, specialist, Biotech analyst in their respective fields.
- Name of the Course – B.sc Biotechnology Course
- The duration of the course is 3 years, 6 semesters.
- Applicants who have completed their 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology with a minimum of 50% are eligible to apply for the course.
- A minimum of 40% is required for reserved category students
- The entire fee structure may vary from one institute to another. The generic fees for the courses start from 2 Lakhs to 3 Lakhs.
- Some career opportunities after completion of the B.sc Biotechnology courses are Bioinformist, Clinical Research Jobs, Research Analyst, Scientific Assistance, and many more.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details Streamwise, and Category wise
Most of the institutes in India offer undergraduate programs in Biotechnology. The eligibility criteria for the course are:
- Applicants who have completed their 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology with a minimum of 60 percent from a recognized university are eligible to apply for the course.
- A minimum of 45 percent is required for reserved category students.
- One can also appear for entrance examinations conducted at the national and university level.
- The qualification for all projects for international candidates is 50% in the passing evaluation
The duration of the course is 3 years which consists of 6 semesters.
B.sc Course in Biotechnology admissions are based on both merit and entrance exam scores.
Merit-Based: For admissions in the BSc Biotechnology course, one must apply for the college and then wait for the cutoff lists issued by the colleges. Based on the 10+2 marks and the reserved category into consideration, admission is offered to the course.
Entrance-Based: Some of the reputed colleges and universities offer this course based on entrance exams score.
Some of the entrance test admissions for the course are given below.
- JNU Combined Biotechnology Entrance Examination
- AIIMS Biotechnology Entrance Test
- DU Biotechnology Entrance Examination
The B.sc Biotechnology Fees may vary from one institute to the other. It can range between Rs 2 Lakhs to 3 Lakhs on average. Private colleges can charge higher fees compared to government colleges. Also, check the Diploma in Biotechnology Course details.
- Problem Solving
- Inquisitive Nature
- Short Term Courses after B.Sc Nursing
- Integrated B.Sc B.Ed Course
- Engineering Courses
- Ayush Courses
- Science Courses
- M.Sc Course
- M.Sc P.hD
B.Sc in the Biotechnology curriculum is divided into theory, practical, and projects, the weightage of which is on the criteria prescribed by the respective institutions. Here is the B.sc biotechnology subjects.
|Macromolecular Structure & Analysis||Principles of Transmission Genetics|
|Biophysics & Instrumentation||Principles of Microbiology|
|Cell Structure & Dynamics||Organic Mechanisms in Biology|
|Chemistry – 1||Introduction to C-Programming & Digital Logic|
|Introduction to Computer||Chemistry –2|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Principles of Immunology||Animal Biotechnology|
|Plant Biotechnology||Biodiversity & taxonomy|
|Microbial Genetics||Molecular Genetics|
|Chemistry – 3||Chemistry – 4|
|Animal and Plant Tissue Culture Techniques and applications||Computational Biology & Bio-informatics|
|Introduction to Data Structure & Computer Organization||DBMS, Computer Network & Numerical Analysis Introduction|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Recombinant Technology DNA||Element Management & Introduction to Entrepreneurship|
|Industrial Biotechnology||Medical Biotechnology|
|DNA Typing, Proteomics & Beyond||Model Organisms in Human Genome Project|
|Environmental Biotechnology||Biotechnology-Social, Legal & Ethical issues|
The subjects studied in the curriculum of the B.Sc Biotechnology course is listed below. Minor variations of the same are witnessed in a few colleges across the nation throughout.
- Introductory Biological Chemistry
- Biophysical Chemistry
- Cell Biology and Genetics
- Microbiology and Macromolecule
- Bioenergetics and Bio-membranes
- Animal and Plant Physiology
- Computational Biology and Bio-informatics
- Biodiversity and Taxonomy
- Molecular Genetics
- Molecular biology and biotechnology
- Animal and Plant Biotechnology
- Industrial and Environmental Biotechnology
- DNA Typing, Proteomics and Beyond
- Recombinant DNA Technology
Biotechnology is termed as the second-largest business after Multimedia, containing the potential of a profession in the country. After the successful completion of the Biotechnology course, graduates have essential potential in reports and analysis in the fields of IT. Applicants are trained in the field of Biotechnology to innovate and conduct laboratory work.
B.Sc in Biotechnology opens a vast platform of opportunity in the areas of Medicine, Pharmaceutical, Marine, Industry, Agriculture, and the Environment. They have the scope in the fields of Agricultural, Food Industries, Chemical, Energy industries, and other such. They can become Bio Technologist, Sr. Research Associate, Lab Technician, Business Development Executive, Biotechnology Expert, and other such. B.Sc Biotechnology students can explore a wide variety of career opportunities in both the private and government sectors:
- Research Interns- R&D Jobs
- Safety Expert
- Calibration Technician
- Research Analyst
- Scientific Assistant
- Clinical Research Jobs
- Production Jobs in Pharma Industry
- Scientific Writer
- Biotech Specialist
- R&D Intern Jobs in Govt Labs
- Academic Jobs in Colleges & Universities
- Dr. Reddy’s lab
- Cadila Healthcare
- Reliance Life Sciences
The average B.Sc Biotechnology Salary is ranges from 1,25,000 to 3,75,000 per annum.
FAQ’s on B.Sc Biotechnology Courses in India
B.Sc. in Biotechnology opens a broad range of opportunities in the fields of Medicine, Pharmaceutical, Industry, Marine, Agriculture, and the Environment.
Job opportunities for B.Sc in Biotechnology graduates are Forensic specialists, Calibration Technician, Research examiner, Biostatistician, Clinical Research Manager, Scientific right hand, and numerous others.
Biotechnology is a vast area of biology. Depending on the tools and forms, it often overlays with relevant scientific fields. It is a study of the genetic, chemical, and physical attributes of tissues, cells, and organisms to produce new technologies, processes, and products that will enrich the quality of human life. The course is ever-evolving, and after completing the program, one can become a research scientist, specialist, Biotech analysts in their respective fields.
Some of the institutes for B.Sc Biotechnology course are :
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Delhi University
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
The eligibility criteria for the course are applicants who have completed their 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology with a minimum of 60 percent from a recognized university are eligible to apply for the course. A minimum of 45 percent is required for reserved category students.