Which is the process through which water continuously changes its form?
(a) Water cycle
(b) Food cycle
(d) All of these
Answer: (a) Water cycle
Which water is salty?
(a) River water
(b) Pond water
(c) Rain water
(d) Sea water
Answer: (d) Sea water
Which one of the following is an artificial enclosure for keeping small house plants?
Answer: (a) Terrarium
Sea water contains
(a) 97.3% of salt
(b) 2% of salt
(c) 0.68% of salt
(d) 0.973% of salt
Answer: (a) 97.3% of salt
Which day of the year is celebrated as Water Day?
(a) 26 January
(b) 15 January
(c) 15 August
(d) 22 March
Answer: (d) 22 March
The movements that occur in oceans can be broadly called
(c) water cycle
(d) all of these
Answer: (b) circulation
Which is the Japanese word which means ‘Harbour Waves’?
(b) Sea wave
(c) Ocean wave
(d) None of these
Answer: (a) Tsunami
When did Tsunami strike the Indian ocean?
(a) 26 December, 2004
(6) 26 December, 2005
(c) 26 December, 2006
(d) 26 December, 2007
Answer: (a) 26 December, 2004
The largest Tsunami wave travels at the speed of
(a) more than 700 km per hour
(b) more than 500 km per hour
(c) more than 250 km per hour
(d) more than 100 km per hour
Answer: (a) more than 700 km per hour
The rhythmic rise and fall of ocean water twice in a day is known as
(c) ocean current
(d) none of these
Answer: (a) tide
The Labrador and Gulf stream are the examples of:
(b) Ocean currents
Answer: (b) Ocean currents
Match the contents of Column A with that of Column B
|Column A||Column B|
|1. Spring tides||(а) Between Europe and Africa|
|2. Gulf stream||(b) Cold current|
|3. Labrador current||(c) Low tide|
|4. Neap tides||(d) High tide|
|5. Mediterranean sea||(e) Warm current|
|Column A||Column B|
|1. Spring tides||(d) High tide|
|2. Gulf stream||(e) Warm current|
|3. Labrador current||(b) Cold current|
|4. Neap tides||(c) Low tide|
|5. Mediterranean sea||(а) Between Europe and Africa|
Fill in the blanks with appropriate words:
1. The major sources of fresh water are rivers and ……………
Answer: springs and glaciers (Any one)
2. About ………….. % of water is present in the oceans and …………….. % as ice-caps.
Answer: 97.3, 02.0
3. The movements that occur in oceans are waves, …………. and ………….
Answer: tides, currents
4. …………. Point in the Andaman and Nicobar islands got submerged after the tsunami of 2004.
5. High tides help in ………….. and fishing.
6. …………. sea is the largest lake.
State whether the given statements are true or false.
1. We have about 0.68% of water as ground water.
2. Ocean water is calm and still.
3. Tsunami can be caused by underwater landslides.
4. Tides are highest on a full or new moon day.
5. Cold currents carry water from lower latitudes to poles.
6. Tides help in generating electricity.