UGC BSR Fellowship 2020: UGC BSR Fellowship is a program for meritorious students to undertake advanced studies and research leading to P.hD degrees in various disciplines of science. The UGC BSR Fellowship is merged with the NET-JRF and the fellowship amount has been updated, with effect from January 1st, 2019. UGC BSR Full Form is University Grants Commission Basic Scientific Research.
Graduate, Post Graduate Students and Research Fellows can also find more Fellowship Articles to explore various fellowships across India to know the funding opportunities.
The program seeks to transform cutting-edge theoretical research into practical applications that may find uses in various fields. The initial duration of the course is two years, which can be further extended for an additional three years. The total period of fellowship will be five years and will not be extended under any circumstances. Read on to explore the eligibility criteria, selection process, benefits of the UGC BSR Fellowship.
UGC BSR Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
Candidates are deemed eligible if they fulfill the following criteria:
- Candidates must belong to any of the departments
- Agricultural Science
- Engineering Science
- Candidates must already be selected to register for the P.hD program through the UGC selection process.
UGC BSR Fellowship Application and Selection Process
- Only candidates that are selected to apply for the P.hD program are eligible to enroll for the fellowship under the scheme.
- Candidates have to apply for a Research Fellowship in the selected institutions or universities. The registration for the P.hD may follow after the process of admission.
- The selection process involves screening and scrutinizing applications followed by an interview.
- The interview panel consists of
- A prominent scientist – nominated by the Vice-Chancellor
- A professor and a reader – nominated by the Vice-Chancellor
- Head of Department
- Two experts – nominated by the Vice-Chancellor (outside the university)
UGC BSR Fellowship Benefits and Nature of Assistance
The nature of assistance and benefits provided by the UGC BSR fellowship is as follows
- For GATE/NET qualified candidates
- JRF – INR 31,000/- per month
- SRF – INR 35,000/- per month
- For other candidates
- JRF – INR 21,700/- per month
- SRF – INR 24,800/- per month
- JRF – INR 12,000/- per annum
- SRF – INR 25,000/- per annum
House Rent Allowance
- HRA is not permissible to Fellows staying in hostel accommodation. In these instances, Fellows are eligible to draw hostel fees only (water and electricity charges are excluded). The certificate of the same is to be furnished through the principal/ registrar/ director. Please note: hostel accommodation is subject to availability at the host institution.
- In case hostel accommodation is not available, Fellows will be provided with single accommodation by the host university. In these instances, the Fellow will be reimbursed on the rent paid (amount reimbursed subject to the ceiling of HRA and the Government of India norms).
- In case the Fellow arranges their own accommodation, they will be entitled to draw HRA as per the categorization of cities by the Government of India.
- Fellows will be entitled to leave for a maximum of 30 days in a year.
- Fellows will also be entitled to take public holidays (on approval by the university head)
- Fellows are entitled to maternity or paternity leave at full rates (as per the Government of India) during the duration of the fellowship.
Process of Releasing Grant
The UGC will disburse the fellowship amount through a designated agency to the fellow’s bank account. The Fellow is required to approach the designated branch and submit the prescribed documents:
- Continuation certificate (to be submitted at the end of every three months)
- Yearly Progress Report (to be submitted after completion of one year of the fellowship)
- Accounts of contingency grants
- HRA certificate.
The list of designated branches can be found here. List Of Designated Branches.
FAQ’s On UGC BSR Fellowship
What is the official website to access the UGC BSR Fellowship application form?
Candidates can access the application form from UGC’s Official Website.
What are the selection criteria for the Fellowship?
Only candidates that are selected to apply for the P.hD program are eligible to enroll for the fellowship under the scheme.