Have you ever wondered when you see tall buildings touching the heights of the sky on the roads? All this credit goes for Structural Engineers. Structural Engineering is one type of Civil Engineering that deals with construction and repairing huge buildings like skyscrapers. In this blog, we will cover the basics of this engineering and its related attributes including career options, top universities, salary, fees, and many. Let’s go through the blog to know more information!
In India, the demand for structural engineers is very high. To maintain its durability and quality for every construction requires professional engineers. We have many other engineering courses, look into them and check the course you need.
- What is Structural Engineering?
- Eligibility Criteria of Structural Engineering Courses
- Entrance Exams for the Structural Engineering Courses in India
- Structural Engineering Courses After 12th
- Course Fees for S. Engineering
- Syllabus for Structural Engineer Course
- Top Colleges for Structural Design Courses
- Career Options for Structural Designing
- Top Companies Recruits Structural Engineers 2022
- Salary Offered for Structural Engineers
- What are the skills needed to be a good structural engineer?
- What are the tasks done by structural engineer?
- What does structural engineer do?
Structural engineering is a part of civil engineering. This structural engineering mainly studies the skeleton and design of structures. As a structural engineer, you’d combine mathematics and physics to estimate a building’s load and calculate whether a design can be structurally sound. The structural engineering students are also used in the design of machinery, medical supplies, and automobiles that would have the structural virtue which would affect the functioning and security of these structures.
Eligibility Criteria of Structural Engineering Courses
If you are aspiring to achieve a degree in structural engineering. Then these eligibility criteria are given by the chosen university. These eligibility criteria vary from different college to college. And all these requirements vary as per the level of programs, such as bachelor’s, master’s level, or diploma courses.
- Candidates need to complete 10 + 2 in the stream of MPC with aggregate marks of 45%.
- Students who have studied diploma degrees in civil engineering are also eligible for this course.
- Candidates should also have clear their entrance exams.
We have some of the top entrance exams to join the colleges that provide structural engineering courses in India. Look into some top entrance exams that are given below.
- IIT-JEE (JEE Main and JEE Advanced)
There is a wide range of universities that is offering structural engineering courses at different levels of education. Listed below are some of the types of structural engineering courses after 12th.
- Graduate Diploma in Structural Engineering
- Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering
- Diploma in Engineering (Environmental / Structural and Geotechnical / Transport)
- B.A. Honors in Civil, Structural Engineering.
- BSc in Structural Engineering with Architecture.
- S. Engineering with Architecture (with a Year in Industry) Eng (Hons).
PG Level Courses:
- Masters in Science in Civil, Environmental and Structural Engineering.
- MSc Structural Engineering.
- ME in Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering.
- Master of Science (MSc) in S Engineering and Building Technology.
Fee structure may be varied from different college to college. And there is different fee for the public and government colleges. At the undergraduate level, the fee for the private colleges will be upto 7.91 Lakhs. And for government colleges, there will be a fee of upto 11.36 Lakhs. At the postgraduate level, the fee for the private colleges will be upto 7.90 K and for government colleges 4.98 Lakhs.
Here is the syllabus that was covered in the structural engineering course in the colleges. Based on some universities we have given you the syllabus below.
- Bridge Engineering
- Theory of Elasticity & Plasticity
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics
- Structural Optimisation
- Composite Material & Structures
- Structural Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering
- Soil-Structure Interaction
- Pre-stressed Concrete Structures
- Industrial Management
- Repair & Rehabilitation of Structure
- Advanced Structural Design
We have provided some of the top universities for studying the structural engineering course details. Look for some of them.
- Amity University
- IIT Kanpur
- KIIT School of Engineering
- SRM University, A.P
- Chitkara University
- Coimbatore Institute of Technology.
- IIT Madras
- VIT Vellore
Once after studying the structural designing course everyone has a different dream of job on that course. Here we have given some of the career options below.
- Assistant Engineer
- Site Engineer
- Project Manager
- Bridge Engineer
- Structural Consultant
- Planning Engineer
- Construction Engineer
- Offshore Construction Engineer
Also refer: Diploma in Civil Engineering
List of some top companies that recruit structural engineers. See the list below.
- TATA Projects
- Larsen and Toubro
- Gammon India
- Shobha Developers Ltd.
- Tata Consultancy
- Flour Corporation
- Reliance Construction
- Hindustan Construction Company (HCC)
- Engineering Contracting Company (ECC)
Salaries will be offered for structural engineers based on many aspects. And it varies from person to person. Based on their skills and experience the company will offer the salary. The average salary for some job profiles is given below.
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Planning Engineer||Rs. 5 lakhs|
|Site Engineer||Rs. 3.30 lakhs|
|Assistant Engineer||Rs. 3.30 lakhs|
|Project Engineer||Rs. 3.50 lakhs|
FAQs for Structural Engineering Courses
To be a good structural engineer you must be creative and have good problem-solving skills and needed good communication skills and leadership qualities.
Some of the tasks that were done by the structural engineer are given below:
- Calculate the elements of the building.
- Select appropriate materials for the building.
- Use software for designing models.
- Do check the budget of the building.
Structural engineer constructs the buildings and many constructions that can support their own weight and are safe even during extraordinary events like hurricanes, earthquakes.
Hope the complete information that was given about the structural engineering course is useful to you. And still, if you have any doubts you can comment in the below comment section. Structural engineering is also a part of civil engineering. Stay tuned to NCERTBooks.guru for more engineering courses.