Ph.D. Courses in India Ph.D. is a doctoral degree with an educational focus. It is considered as one of the topmost qualifications to build a successful career in any stream. A Ph.D. program is usually of four years duration, and applicants need to complete the program within a maximum period of five to six years. However, the program duration may vary from one institute to another. Candidates need to hold a master’s degree to be qualified to pursue a Ph.D. programme.
Aspirants can pursue a Ph.D. programme in any stream. They need to choose a topic or a subject and do in-depth research on it and answer any queries related to the subject. Earlier, candidates could pursue Ph.D. programs through distance mode, but, as per a circular issued by UGC in 2017, it was informed that Ph.D. courses could no longer be recognised from distance education mode.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details in Stream wise, and Category wise.
A Brief on Ph.D. Courses in India
In a Ph.D. course, aspirants need to select a topic or a subject and do an in-depth analysis of it and elucidate any queries related to the topic or the subject. Applicants can pursue a Ph.D. programme in any stream. Candidates who have passed entrance exams like UGC NET, GATE, JEST are offered fellowships while pursuing a Ph.D. course. Universities such as IGNOU and Delhi University also offer fellowships to students pursuing full-time Ph.D. courses with them.
Ph.D. Courses in India Highlights
- Name of the Course: Ph.D. courses in India
- Duration: The duration of the course is usually three years, and applicants need to complete the program within a maximum period of five to six years.
- Eligibility: Applicants who have completed their BTech, master’s degree or MPhil and entrance exams like UGC NET, GATE, JEST can pursue Ph.D.
- Stipend: The starting stipend for the course is from Rs 20000 to 35000.
- Experience: People with work experience can also apply for the course.
Ph.D. Courses in India Eligibility Criteria
Candidates having a relevant master’s degree can apply for Ph.D. programs. Some colleges also need Mphil to pursue Ph.D. courses. Also, candidates having a four-year bachelor’s degree such as B.Tech are eligible to apply in some of the Ph.D. programs in India. Candidates who want to seek a Ph.D. in Engineering need to hold a valid GATE score. Most colleges state that applicants should clear UGC NET to meet the eligibility criteria for Ph.D. programmes.
Required Skill-set for Ph.D. Courses in India
A Ph.D. demands candidates to study a topic in-depth, and so candidates need to maintain the required skill-set and commitment along with being extremely hard working when pursuing a Ph.D. Some essential skills that an applicant should possess while seeking a Ph.D. are listed below:
- Good writing capacity
- Keen observer
- Good at research
Qualifications for Ph.D. Courses in India
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM): It is a PhD-level qualification offered by IIM (Indian Institute of Management). An FPM may involve professional education, similar to that involved in a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree. Programmes usually last for five years.
- Doctorate in Pharmacy (Pharm D): A specific professional qualification usually last for six years.
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil): A shorter academic research qualification lasts for 2 to 3 years.
Ph.D. Courses in India Admission Process
- To obtain admission in Ph.D. programmes offered by the educational institute, candidates need to go through the following procedure :
- Visit the official website and select the area of research.
- Fill and submit the application forms for the Ph.D. course. Applicants also need to make sure that they pay the application fee and submit all the required documents.
- Some institutes ask candidates to submit a research proposal along with their application form.
- Candidates selected for Ph.D. programmes based on the admission rounds are asked to select supervisors or guides for their Ph.D. research.
Top Institutes for Ph.D. Courses in India
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Amrita University
- Banaras Hindu University
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- University of Hyderabad
Ph.D. Courses in India Curriculum
The Ph.D. courses curriculum may vary from one institution to another. In India, there are different streams of PhD courses. Some of the courses are given below :
Ph.D. Courses in Humanities
- Ph.D. in Economics
- Ph.D. Geography
- Ph.D. in Social Work
- Ph.D. in English
- Ph.D. in Social Sciences
- Ph.D. in Public and Economic Policy
- Ph.D. in Humanities & Social Sciences
- Ph.D. in Humanities and Life Sciences
- Ph.D. in Psychology
- Ph.D. in Arts
- Ph.D. in International Relations and Politics
- Ph.D. in Physiology
- Ph.D. in Public Policy
- Ph.D. in Literature
Ph.D. Courses in Science
- Ph.D. in Chemistry
- Ph.D. in Clinical Research
- Ph.D. in Science
- Ph.D. in Bioscience
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics
- Ph.D. Biotechnology
- Ph.D. in Mathematical and Computational Sciences
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Engineering
- Ph.D. in Applied Chemistry & Polymer Technology
- Ph.D. in Applied Sciences
- Ph.D. Zoology
- Ph.D. in Physics
- Ph.D. in Basic and Applied Sciences
- Ph.D. in Mathematics
- Ph.D. in Zoology
Ph.D. courses in Engineering
- Ph.D. in Engineering
- Ph.D. in Genetic Engineering
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering
- Ph.D. Program in Quantitative Techniques
- Ph.D. in Engineering and Technology
- Ph.D. in Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Ph.D. in Computer Science Engineering
- Ph.D. in Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Ph.D. in Aeronautical and Automobile Engineering
- Ph.D. in Information Technology
- Ph.D. in Ceramic Engineering
- Ph.D. in Production Engineering
- Ph.D. in Marine Biotechnology
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D. in Business and Management
- Ph.D. in Business Administration
- Ph.D. in Management
- Ph.D. in Aviation Management
- Ph.D. in Strategic Management
- Ph.D. in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Ph.D. in Accounting and Financial Management
- Ph.D. in Marketing/ Brand Management
- Ph.D. in Commerce
- Ph.D. in Commerce and Management
Ph.D. Courses in India Structure
Steps to follow when pursuing a Ph.D. course to be bestowed a Ph.D. degree are given below:
- After the selection for the Ph.D. courses by the institution, candidates need to submit their Research Proposal with their Research Topic.
- A research supervisor/guide is assigned to the candidates.
- Later candidates are provided with details of the Program Work, evaluation methodology, and the teaching schedule by the Research Supervisor.
- Research Students are required to perform two or more seminar presentations and also submit a Certificate in the guided format to the Research Unit.
- Ph.D. students should publish at least one research paper in a refereed Journal.
- Applicants need to present their thesis in hard copy as well as soft copy. External experts will examine this thesis.
- Candidates can defend their thesis and present their point of view before a panel of experts when the viva-voce is conducted
- Candidates who complete the following steps would be awarded a Ph.D. degree.
Ph.D. Courses in India Fee Structure
The Fees structure for Ph.D. programmes varies in different institutions. Some Institute takes only caution money which is returned after the Ph.D. program ends. Some institutes only take the application fees.
Entrance Exams for Ph.D. Courses in India
Some of the top Ph.D. entrance exams in India conducted nationwide are given below :
- CSIR-UGC NET exam
- NCBS Joint GEE for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS)
- DBT JRF Biotech Entrance Test
- TIFR Graduate School Admission Entrance Test
- ICMR JUNIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS
- IISC Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- NDRI Ph.D. entrance exam
- BBAU Lucknow – Ph.D. Admissions Test
- BARC Ph.D. Admission Test
- ISM Dhanbad Ph.D. Admission Test
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute Bareilly Ph.D. Admission Test
- NIMHANS Ph.D. online entrance test
- JNU Ph.D. Entrance
- NIPER Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- The University of Hyderabad Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- GTU Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- NBRC Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- BITS Ph.D. Entrance Examination
- AIIMS Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- BINC Bioinformatics National Certification BINC Examination
- Aligarh Muslim University R-MAT – Ph.D. Entrance Exam
- Combined Vidyavaridhi (Ph.D.) Entrance Test – (CVVET)
- Guru Jambheshwar University GJUST – Ph.D. Entrance Test
Jobs Prospects for Ph.D. Courses in India
There is a vast scope of job opportunities after completion of a PhD from India. The critical concern is the subject that one decides to do a research study. Different fields have different applications in the career scope after the completion of the Ph.D. The primary career choice is Research. The value of the qualification is that the students are in a position to innovate and deliver pertinence and additions to queries, researches and analyses. Many projects are funded in India and abroad that celebrate the research skills of a Ph.D. student. There are many opportunities both in India and overseas to have a great career in research and development for large companies.
Here is a list of few job opportunities that applicants can choose after pursuing a Ph.D.:
- Editor & Critic
- Human Services Worker
- Independent Consultant
- Lecturer & Professor
- Author & Writer
- Philosophical Journalist
- Industrial R&D Lab professionals
- Senior Research Scientist
Average Salary of a Ph.D. Graduate
The average salary may vary in different working sites. Generally, a Ph.D. candidate can join any educational institute. For example, if the Ph.D. student joins as an assistant professor in a Government College of state or central, then the salary would range from Rs. 70,000 to Rs. 1,30,000 per month approximately depending upon your research work education, experience, and skills and if he or she joins a private college as an assistant professor, then then the salary would be between Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 80,000 per month.
There are also exceptions if one enters any highly reputed private B-Schools like S.PJain or Narsee Monjee then the salary may go higher as Rs 12 lakhs per annum. Most of the Ph.D. students get Rs 25000 stipend as junior research fellowship for the initial two years and Rs28000 as senior research fellowship for the next three years at most of the research institutes like IITs, IISERs, IIMs, NISERs, and NITs.
Top Recruiters of Ph.D. Graduates
- Goldman Sachs
- TATA Steel
- J P Morgan
FAQ’s on Ph.D. Courses in India
What is the full form of a Ph.D.?
The full form of Ph.D. is Doctor of Philosophy.
What are the different university types offering a Ph.D.?
There are five different categories of universities with the potential to offer Ph.D. programmes in India. There are 47 Central Universities, 390 State Universities, 307 Private Universities, 124 Deemed to be Universities, and 138 Institutes of National Importance.
What is the duration of a Ph.D. programme?
A Ph.D. program is usually of four years duration, and applicants need to complete the program within a maximum period of five to six years.