NPDF Fellowship 2020: NPDF Fellowship offered by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB). SERB released applications for the National Post Doctoral Fellowship (NPDF) 2020 for the post-doctoral candidates. NPDF fellowship aimed to identify motivated young researchers. Then, it provides support to them for performing research in the frontier areas of Science and Engineering. A mentor will guide the fellows to develop them as an independent researcher by the training.
SERB is a statutory body established through the SERB Act 2008 of the Parliament, Government of India. The NPDF is well-founded only in India, but any other recognized R&D institutions, academic institutions, and national laboratories can carry it out. But, the necessary administrative and infrastructural support should be furnished at the host institution. The application for the NPDF has been released on the official website of SERB. The extended last date to submit the NPDF application form is on or before 13th May 2020. The article below provides complete information about the NPDF Fellowship 2020.
Graduate, Post Graduate Students and Research Fellows can also find more Fellowship Articles to explore various fellowships across India to know the funding opportunities.
NPDF Fellowship Overview
|Conducting Body||The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)|
|Fellowship Name||NPDF Fellowship|
|Awards||The selected fellows will get a fellowship amount of Rs. 55,000/- per month and other benefits.|
|Last Date to Submit the Application Form||13th May 2020|
NPDF Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must fulfill the following eligibility criteria to apply for the NPDF Fellowship.
- Candidate must be an Indian citizen.
- Candidates must have obtained a Ph.D./MD/MS degree from a recognized university.
- Candidate’s age must not be more than 35 years at the time of application.
- Women and SC/ST/OBC/Physically Challenged candidates will be given an age relaxation of 5 years.
- Candidates can avail the NPDF only once in his/her career.
- The mentor should hold regular research or academic position in a recognized institution in India. The mentor should hold a Ph.D. degree in Science/ Engineering.
- Candidates who have submitted their Ph.D./Md/MS thesis and are waiting for the award of the degree are also eligible. These candidates if selected will be offered a lower fellowship amount until they qualify the eligible degree.
NPDF Selection Process
The Selections for the NPDF made on the basis of recommendations given by an Expert Committee. This will be constituted by the Science and Engineering Research Board. The candidates may be called for a personal interview, if required.
NPDF provides the following benefits to the selected fellows:
- A consolidated stipend of Rs. 55,000/- per month.
- A consolidated stipend of Rs. 35,000/- per month to candidates who have submitted the thesis but are waiting for the award of the degree.
- A research grant of Rs. 2Lakh per annum.
- Overheads of Rs. 1Lakh per annum.
NPDF Application Process – How to Apply for NPDF Online?
Candidates can fill and submit the NPDF application on or before 13th May 2020. Candidates must read the instructions carefully before filling the NPDF application form. Make sure to keep all the necessary documents prior to filling the NPDF application form. Refer to the below points to apply for the NPDF Fellowship.
- Visit the official website of SERB to register online for the NPDF.
- After login, candidates must fill the mandatory fields in the Profile Details section such as photo, biodata, institute address, etc.
- Candidates must fill the required and correct information in the application form.
- Provide a project title of max 500 characters, project summary of max 3000 characters, keywords of max 6, and objective of the proposal of max 1500 characters.
- Expected output and outcome of the proposal of max 1500 characters should also be provided at the time of submitting the online application.
- A research plan and work methodology should be uploaded in a single PDF file.
- Submit the NPDF application online along with the necessary documents on or before the due date.
Documents Required for NPDF Fellowship
The following necessary documents should be uploaded along with the application to apply for the NPDF.
- Candidates age proof certificate
- Candidates qualification certificate
- Candidates category certificate, in case of age relaxation
- Undertaking a certificate by the candidate
- Endorsement certificate from the mentor and the host institute
- Candidates Biodata
- Mentor’s CV
- Mentor’s short CV as per the format available in the online portal
NPDF Terms and Conditions
- The fellows should not be availed of any other fellowship from any source during the duration of the fellowship.
- The fellows are not allowed to work with the Ph.D. guide or co-guide. In general, it is also not availed at the same Department or Institution where the fellows have got their Ph.D. or MS or MD degree.
- It is the responsibility of the candidate to identify a suitable Mentor under whom they would carry out the proposed research.
- There is no additional provision for manpower support in this fellowship.
- The duration of the fellowship is for 2 years and is purely a temporary assignment.
- If the fellows intend to be away from the implementing institute, except for field-work related to the project regularly for a duration of above 8 weeks then they must seek the consent of the Board.
- The research objectives are expected to be undertaken by the fellows during the entire period of the fellowship.
- The Candidate can utilize the research grant for domestic travel, minor equipment, contingencies and consumables.
- The candidate’s application form along with their research proposal should be submitted on the official portal of the fellowship.
NPDF Contact Details
In case of any queries related to the NPDF, candidates can contact the below-given details
Email ID: [email protected]
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
Lower Ground Floor, 5 and 5A,
Sector-B, Vasant Square Mall, Pocket-5,
Vasant Kunj, New Delhi – 110070
FAQ’s on NPDF Fellowship
What is NPDF Fellowship?
This fellowship aimed to identify motivated young researchers. Then, it provides support to them for performing research in the frontier areas of Science and Engineering.
What is the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)?
SERB is a statutory body established through the SERB Act 2008 of the Parliament, Government of India. NPDF Fellowship offered by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB). It has released applications for the National Post Doctoral Fellowship (NPDF) 2020 for the post-doctoral candidates.
What is the duration of NPDF and can it be extended?
NPDF is purely a temporary assignment and the duration is initially for a period of 2 years.
What is the extended last date for applying to the NPDF?
The extended last date to fill and submit the online NPDF application form is 13th May 2020.
What is the age limit to apply for the NPDF?
Candidate’s age must not be more than 35 years at the time of application. Women and SC/ST/OBC/Physically Challenged candidates will be given an age relaxation of 5 years.
We hope this article will help you to get more information about the NPDF Fellowship. If you have queries related to the NPDF Fellowship, then leave it in the comment box to get in touch with us.