JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship 2020-2021: JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship offered by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). This fellowship initiated to provide opportunities for excellent postdoctoral researchers from other countries. They can conduct cooperative research with leading research groups in universities and other Japanese institutions under the guidance of their hosts. This fellowship is provided in full month units for a duration of 12 to 24 months.
Each host institution may have its own application deadline above one month prior to the deadline set by JSPS. So, applicants should check in advance with the staff of the host institution. JSPS Online Application System will be available around two months prior to the application deadlines set by JSPS. The number of fellowships awarded may change due to budgetary reasons. JSPS inviting applications from the host institutions on or before 4th September 2020 by 5 p.m. (JST). The article below provides complete information about the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Graduate, Post Graduate Students and Research Fellows can also find more Fellowship Articles to explore various fellowships across India to know the funding opportunities.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Overview
|Conducting Body||Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)|
|Fellowship Name||JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship|
|Purpose of the Fellowship||Offering opportunities for excellent postdoctoral researchers from other countries. They can conduct cooperative research with leading research groups in universities and other Japanese institutions under the guidance of their hosts.|
|Application Deadline (From Host Institution to JSPS)||4th September 2020|
|Approximate Number of Fellowship Awarded||115|
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Dates
|1st||Application Deadline (From Host Institution to JSPS)||September 4, 2020|
|Result of Selected Candidates will be Published||Last Week of December 2020|
|Arrival in Japan||Between April 1, 2021, to September 30, 2021|
|2nd||Application Deadline (From Host Institution to JSPS)||May 7, 2021|
|Result of Selected Candidates will be Published||First Week of August 2021|
|Arrival in Japan||Between September 1, 2021, to November 30, 2021|
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
Refer to the below-given JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship eligibility criteria.
- Japanese Citizens are not eligible.
- Foreigners who are allowed permanent residence in Japan are not eligible.
- Candidates who have been awarded a fellowship previously under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research in Japan are not eligible.
- The selected fellow needs to submit a copy of the diploma or original doctoral degree certificate before the commencement of the fellowship.
- Candidates must be from a MEXT affiliated institution engaged in research. So that they are eligible for handling Grant-in-Aid for scientific research issued by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT).
- Candidate must be a full-time researcher.
- Each candidate may submit up to 3 applications.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Benefits
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship provides the following benefits to the selected fellows:
- A round trip air ticket as per the JSPS regulations
- Maintenance allowance of ¥362,000 per month
- Overseas travel insurance, setting-in allowance of ¥200,000, etc.
- A Grant-in-Aid for scientific research to cover expenses related to cooperative research
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Selection Process
The selection of candidates is made on the basis of a document review in the first stage and a panel review in the second stage. The panel review will be performed by a selection committee established within the JSPS. However, the document reviews for each application will be conducted by six examiners. As per the application contents, experts will be assigned in the subject field to conduct the review.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Application Process
Candidates can fill and submit the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship online application on or before 4th September 2020. Candidates must read the instructions mentioned in the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship application guideline document. The application form will be filled out in either English or Japanese language. Candidates must keep ready all the relevant documents before applying to JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship. Refer to the below points to apply for the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Visit the official website of the JSPS.
- Login to the JSPS Online Application System.
- Fill the application Form1 by entering Name, Affiliated organization, Research theme, Fellowship tenure, Purpose and significance, and Framework for hosting the invitee.
- Download the application FORM2 and fill the necessary details.
- Upload the FORM2 and Letter of Recommendation in either Word or PDF format.
- Submit the application form to the host institution on or before the deadline specified by each host institution.
- The host institution will verify the application submitted by the host researcher or applicant.
- After this, the applications and the requirements should be approved by the head of the host institution. In addition, the list of candidates should be verified.
- Then, the host institution will send the applications to the JSPS on or before the application deadline.
Documents Required for JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship
The following documents are required to upload for applying to the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Candidate’s Curriculum vitae
- Research achievements and results
- Academic goals after the fellowship ends
- Research plan and career plans
- A Letter of recommendation written and signed by the doctoral supervisor of the candidate
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Terms and Conditions
- During the duration of the fellowship, a fellow’s host researcher may not be changed. So, if it is known that an applicant or host Researcher will retire due to any reason at the time of application then the candidate or invited Overseas Researcher’s application should not be submitted.
- If an applicant submits more than one application then he/she should assign those applications in priority order.
- If a document certifying that the Invited Overseas Researcher or candidate has received the doctoral degree is not submitted on or before the deadline then the fellowship will be canceled.
- Even after the selection of the candidate if it is found that he/she does not possess application eligibility then the selection may be canceled or terminated during the fellowship period.
- In this case, the candidate or Invited Overseas Researcher may be required to reimburse the allowances that have already been paid by the JSPS.
- JSPS will pay the living costs as an allowance to support the fellow’s research activities in Japan during their tenure.
- Fellows are obligated to reside in Japan continuously during their tenure. In case, the fellow wants temporary absences from Japan, then he/she can refer to the Application Guidelines sent to them at the time of their selection.
- If it is found that a temporary absence has taken place without the permission of the JSPS, then the allowance of the fellow’s may be terminated.
FAQ’s on JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship
What is the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship?
The JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship initiated to provide opportunities for excellent postdoctoral researchers from other countries. They can conduct cooperative research with leading research groups in universities and other Japanese institutions under the guidance of their hosts.
Who has offered the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship?
The JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship offered by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS).
What is the duration of the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship?
The JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship is provided in full month units for a duration of 12 to 24 months.
What is the application deadline to receive applications from the host institutions?
The JSPS invites applications from the host institutions on or before 4th September 2020 by 5 p.m. (JST).
What is the approximate number of fellowships awarded under JSPS?
The approximate number of fellowships awarded under JSPS is 115.
We hope this article will help you to get more details about the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship. If you have queries related to the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship, then leave it in the comment box.