JC Bose Fellowship: JC Bose fellowship is a special type of fellowship which is provided for scientists of India. JC Bose fellowship is offered by the Science and Engineering Research Board Act, 2008, an Act of Parliament. Those scientists who are active presently are awarded this fellowship to encourage them more for their work and recognise their outstanding performances. This fellowship is very selective and is specific to scientists only.
The scope of JC Bose fellowship is for all the areas or fields which belong to Science subject (in the broadest terms). All these areas are covered under this fellowship.
The applications for the J.C. Bose Fellowships are received throughout the year via online mode only through the official website www.serbonline.in and there is no last date of receiving the nomination.
Graduate, Post Graduate Students and Research Fellows can also find more Fellowship Articles to explore various fellowships across India to know the funding opportunities.
JC Bose Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who are active scientists and want to apply for JC Bose fellowship should possess the below-given eligibility conditions.
- Candidates should be an active scientist having a record of outstanding performance apparent from the award of SS Bhatnagar prize and or fellowship of science academies (including engineering, agriculture and medicine).
- The candidates should be in service as a scientist at the time of applying for this fellowship.
- Candidate should be an Indian citizen working in an Indian institution.
- Candidates should not be applying for holding any other fellowship from any other government source.
JC Bose Fellowship Duration
- The term of the fellowship will be originally for five years.
- The occupancy of the fellowship may be further extended for the following term of 5 years based on a meticulous assessment of research accomplishment during the occupancy of the fellowship. A minimum of 25% of the candidates seeking expansion will not be granted an extension.
- The fellowship can be extended up to 68 years of candidate’s age only.
JC Bose Fellowship Reward
- The fellowship reward is Rs. 25,000 per month in bonus to regular income
- Research award of Rs. 15.00 lakh per annum will be provided to the fellows.
- Overhead of Rs.1.00 lakh per annum will be granted to the host institute.
JC Bose Fellowship Application Process
- The Heads of the Institutions can send the nominations; JC Bose Fellows and Presidents of National science academies.
- The nominations for the fellowship are received throughout the year, there is no deadline to apply for. The applicants can nominate themselves through online mode only (https://www.serbonline.in/SERB/HomePage).
JC Bose Fellowship Selection Procedure
- The selection of JC Bose Fellows is performed periodically. Usually the selection procedure is conducted twice a year.
- The selection is conducted by a Search-cum-Selection Committee especially developed for the objective, as per the comprehensive guidelines of the fellowship plan.
JC Bose Fellowship Important Guidelines
- JC Bose fellows can get only one fellowship including individual fellowship amount and experimentation grant (part of the fellowship) only from one Government source. Nevertheless, they are not permitted to get any other fellowship of a related kind from any Government source. Any misinformation in this respect may commence to full recovery of J C Bose fellowship with punishing interest from the fellow.
- The fellowship can be resumed for five years after a meticulous assessment of the research accomplishment of the fellow during the occupation of the fellowship. The fellows will be required to present a document highlighting the analysis work done during the prior five years, with a comprehensive list of publications/patents, and a workforce trained during the occupancy of the fellowship in the designated format. The standards for revival will be based on research achievement. Any other achievement, such as occupying leadership positions, will not be added as factors.
- The least exit of 25% of the fellows required while providing the extension of the fellowship
- There is full flexibility in using the investigation grant of Rs. 15.00 lakh. Funding under this “Research Grant” head (Rs. 15.0 Lakh) can be used for the hiring of the workforce, consumables, national tour for self, students, other analysis staff, visiting scientists and international travel and per diem per year research purposes, chemicals, equipment items, repair of equipment, books and journals, etc.
FAQ’s On JC Bose Fellowship
What is JC Bose Fellowship?
JC Bose fellowship is a special type of fellowship which is provided for scientists of India. This fellowship is offered by the Science and Engineering Research Board Act, 2008, an Act of Parliament. Those scientists who are active presently are awarded this fellowship to encourage them more for their work and recognise their outstanding performances This fellowship is very selective and is specific to scientists only.
Who won the JC Bose Fellowship 2019?
Prof G.K. Lahiri, Department of Chemistry has been awarded the J. C. Bose fellowship from SERB, New Delhi.
For whom JC Bose fellowship is offered?
The J.C. Bose Fellowship is for active scientists for their excellent performance. The fellowship is scientist-specific and very selective.
What is the nature of support offered under JC Bose fellowship?
The J.C. Bose Fellow will get a personnel Fellowship of Rs.25,000/- per month and a Research Grant of Rs.15.00 Lakh per annum. Rs.1.00 Lakh is given as Overheads for the host institute.
What is the upper age limit up to which the J C Bose fellowship can be availed?
What subjects are covered under the JC Bose fellowship?
This Fellowship covers all Areas of Science (in the broadest terms).
What is the duration of the J.C. Bose Fellowship?
The J.C. Bose Fellowship duration is five years.
Who can choose for J C Bose Fellows?
Heads of Institutions, JC Bose fellows, Presidents of Science Academies can send the nominations.