Have you ever wonder who found Geography and who is the father of Geography? If yes, then look here. Eratosthenes of Cyrene (c. 276 BCE–192 or 194 BCE) was an ancient Greek mathematician, poet, and astronomer who is known as the father of geography. Two major accomplishments among others were the creation of the first map of the world and the creation of an algorithm known as the sieve of Eratosthenes, which is used to identify prime numbers.
Want to know more about his biography & contributions? Go through this article thoroughly and find the needed information about the father of geography.
- Who is known as the Father of Geography?
- List of Other Famous Geographers
- Few Facts About Father of Geography (Eratosthenes)
- FAQs on Father of Modern Geography
Who is known as the Father of Geography?
Geography is the field of science that relates to the study of the Earth, its physical features, landmasses, seas, oceans, the natural phenomena happening on Earth, and the people who populate this planet and their interaction with their environment. The “father of geography” was Eratosthenes and he was the first to use the word geography. He was a mathematician and astronomer from ancient Greece.
Eratosthenes is considered the Father of Geography as he calculated the circumference of the Earth without leaving place Egypt. Also, know the list of other popular geographers from the below sections along with a few things about Eratosthenes.
Also Check: Father of Chemistry
List of Other Famous Geographers
The following table helps you to memorize the most famous geographers who have been considered “fathers” of different geography branches. So, check out the table below for knowing the father of various subjects of Geography.
|Branch Name||Name of the Father|
|Father of American Geography||William Morris David|
|Father of Geology||Sir Charles Lyell|
|Father of Modern Geomorphology||Grove Carl Gilbert|
|Father of Phytogeography||Alexander Von Humboldt|
|Father of Modern Cartography||Heinrich Caesar Berann|
|Father of Scientific Climatology||Reid Bryson|
|Father of Human Geography||Carl Ritter.|
Few Facts About Father of Geography (Eratosthenes)
Known For: Father of Geography.
Born: c. 276 BCE in Cyrene (present-day Libya)
Died: 192 or 196 BCE in Alexandria, Egypt
The study of the planet earth, the Hydrosphere (the water surface of Earth and its characteristics), the Lithosphere (the land and its features), the Biosphere (the living organisms in land and water), and the Atmosphere (the gaseous blanket that surrounds the earth) is called Physical Geography. A few stuff about the first known geographer, Eratosthenes are given below. Take a look at them to gain more information about the Eratosthenes.
- Behind the creation of a highly accurate map of the world is Eratosthenes.
- His map comprises grid lines resembling the latitudes and longitudes, in modern times, we use to plot different places on earth.
- Also, he calculated the circumference of the Earth with exceptional accuracy.
- He also calculated the tilt of the Earth on its own axis and also gave us the Leap Year calculation that we use today.
- The measuring of the circumference was founded on few measurements. One was the depth of a well in Syene, where the sun’s rays touch the bottom only on the day of the summer solstice.
- Also, Eratosthenes knew the distance between Syene and Alexandria.
- His major & biggest contribution to the world of mathematics was an algorithm to identify prime numbers, universally referred to as the Eratosthenes sieve.
Do Refer: Father of Biology
FAQs on Father of Modern Geography
1. Who is the father of geography?
Eratosthenes is known as the Father of Geography.
2. Who had calculated the radius of the earth for the first time?
For the first time, Eratosthenes had calculated the radius of the earth.
3. Who is known as Father of modern geography?
Carl Ritter (August 7, 1779 – September 28, 1859) with Alexander von Humboldt, is considered one of the founders of modern geography.