A diploma in dental mechanics is a 2-year course in the field of dentistry which can be termed as a certification course or a skill enhancement or a skill-based program that many universities across India offer to students. It is one such diploma course that is very objective-oriented and teaches students very rudimentary aspects of dentistry.
In this particular article on a dental mechanics diploma course, we are going to answer a few questions that a student might have about the said course and also give a fundamental idea about this diploma course in India.
Before dwelling on the details of a diploma dental mechanics, let us understand what exactly is dental mechanics.
- What is Dental Mechanics?
- Diploma in Dental Mechanics Course Details
- Dental Mechanic Diploma Course Admission Process
- Diploma in Dental Mechanics Eligibility Criteria
- How to prepare for the Dental Mechanics Diploma Entrance Exam?
- Diploma Dental Mechanics Course Fee
- Diploma in Dental Mechanics Course Syllabus
- Dental Mechanics Diploma Top Colleges
- Diploma in Dental Mechanics Scope and Career Prospects
- Diploma in Dental Mechanics Jobs
- FAQ’s on a Diploma in Dental Mechanics
What is Dental Mechanics?
Dental mechanics is the field of medicine and subfield of dentistry that deals with the full study of dentures, bridges, dental technologies and relevant dentistry operations. It is that part of science that completely deals with handling, care and curing of human and animal teeth.
Not many might be aware of this course on a diploma course in dental mechanics because this is not a mainstream course in comparison with courses such as MBBS, engineering, commerce, accountancy or arts. However, just because a diploma in dental mechanics is not a popular course doesn’t mean it has no merits and we are going to discuss the same in this particular article on a diploma courses dental mechanics in the subsequent sections.
Diploma in Dental Mechanics Course Details
- It is a 2-year program for bachelor’s and undergraduate level students.
- Certain colleges offer semester wise programs while certain other colleges offer trimester level programs for dental mechanics diploma.
- The course involves both understandings of theoretical subjects as well as practical subjects for a ready hands-on experience that is going to help students in their jobs.
Get to Know More about other types of Course Details Streamwise, and Category wise.
Dental Mechanic Diploma Course Admission Process
Students will have to first apply either through online portals or directly on the college campus for the colleges that they are aiming to get into that offer diploma in dental mechanics
- Students should keep all the certificates handy during the time of applying for a diploma in dental mechanics.
- In most of the colleges across India, the admission for a dental mechnics diploma course is purely based on merit
- Interested students are shortlisted by colleges based on their performance in scores in the 10th and 12th standard examinations from a recognized education board in India
- There are very few colleges that conduct entrance examinations but more than 90% of the colleges in India that offer diploma course in dental mechanics provide direct admissions to students if they have pass certificates from 10th and 12th standard
Diploma in Dental Mechanics Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates should have a pass certificate from the 10 + 2 examination
- For colleges that conduct entrance examinations, candidates should have scored and cleared the cut offset by those colleges
- Candid should file an application and pay the relevant fee to the college authorities for their application to be considered for evaluation
- Students should be aware of the colleges that conduct entrance examinations on the date of application that these colleges release for giving the entrance examination
How to prepare for the Dental Mechanics Diploma Entrance Exam?
Not many colleges conduct entrance examinations for diploma in dental mechanics but few colleges conduct screening test or entrance tests and students should keep the following pointers in mind before preparing for an entrance examination such as this:
- Students should solve all the previous year’s question papers to get an idea of the pattern of the examination and the type of questions that could be asked
- Students should be well versed with the syllabus of the examination
- Talking to seniors and people who have cleared the exam is one of the best strategies that one can opt to prepare for any entrance examination. With that in mind, students should interact with seniors and get their notes and pointers from them on how to prepare for an entrance examination for a diploma in dental mechanics
- Students should give enough mock tests and practice before sitting for the main examination
- As the entrance examination is nearing, students should only revise the topics that they have already studied
Diploma Dental Mechanics Course Fee
- The fee structure for a diploma in dental mechanics for the two-year course varies between Rs. 50000 to Rs. 1 lakh across various universities in India
- Students can get tuition fees waived off by colleges if they can produce a relevant caste certificate and income certificate and only if they fall under the bracket of reservation
- Other than the tuition fee of Rs. 50000 to Rs. 1 lakh, there might be additional expenses that the student might have to pay which include internship costs, project work costs, club activities, extracurricular and co-curricular activities
Diploma in Dental Mechanics Course Syllabus
The following are the subjects thought to students in the two-year course of diploma in dental mechanics
- Applied chemistry
- Oral hygiene
- Applied Oral Anatomy
- Anatomy of the human face
- Computer and its applications
- Medical record management and organization
- Dental Materials
- Basics of Dental Metallurgy
- Basics of Dental Mechanics
Dental Mechanics Diploma Top Colleges
The following are the top 10 colleges in India for a diploma in Dental Mechanics:
- Government Dental College and Research Centre, Bengaluru
- Banaras Hindu University, Banaras
- JSS Dental College and Hospital, Karnataka
- Himachal Institute of Dental Sciences
- Dr. DY Patil Dental College Hospital
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
- Tamil Nadu Government Dental College and Hospital
- Annamalai University, Tamilnadu
- IIIPT (Indian Institute of Professional Training)
- Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences
Diploma in Dental Mechanics Scope and Career Prospects
- After the completion of course, the students can work in any of the government hospitals as a dental mechanic or a dental assistant or pursue BDS, Bachelor of dental mechanics.
- A student can also work as a freelancer by conducting consultations with different academic institutions and private and government hospitals.
- Immediately after graduation with a diploma in dental mechanics, one can apply for higher studies in India or abroad and build their career further.
- One can start the job role in dental labs or manufacture different fixtures and instruments used in dental mechanics.
Diploma in Dental Mechanics Jobs
- After graduation with a diploma in dental mechanics, a student will start his career as a dental technician or dental mechanic in a private laboratory or a government hospital. A dental mechanic or dental technician works with a dental surgeon and is responsible for planning, designing, constructing and repairing various instruments and appliances related to dental fixtures such as crown, bridgework and inlay
- Lab assistant or private assistant is one more popular job that one might start working as after graduation from diploma course. The job description of lab assistant is more or less similar to a dental technician with additional tasks such as record-keeping, paperwork, maintaining drug supplies, stock maintenance, inventory clearance, cleaning up of the laboratory, etc.
FAQ’s on a Diploma in Dental Mechanics
1. How do I pursue a diploma in dental mechanics?
Diploma dental mechanics can be done after 10th and 12th standard education. One needs to apply to relevant colleges and submit their entrance exam scores or 10th and 12th marks to get admission into the college.
2. What is the average salary of a graduate of diploma in dental mechanics?
Upon graduation with a diploma course in dental mechanics, a student will be able to earn anywhere between Rs. 20000 per month to Rs. 60000 per month in private, government, or government-aided hospitals and laboratories specializing in dental mechanics.
3. Is the dental mechanics course in demand?
A dental mechanics diploma course is in high demand because dentistry is a highly nuanced the field of medicine and it is increasing its market share around the world due to increased awareness of oral hygiene among the general public.
4. How much will it cost me to pursue a diploma in dental mechanics?
If one aims to pursue a dental mechanics diploma course in any of the top government colleges in India then the fee for the same will not exceed more than Rs. 50000 for the entire course 5. Which is the top college in India to pursue a course in dental mechanics? Answer: Government Dental College and Research Centre, Bengaluru is considered the top college in India to pursue a course in dental mechanics.