BMM Course Details: BMM course stands for Bachelor of Mass Media and has become one of the most popular courses after 10+2 today. Today, BMM has a good scope and generates employment opportunities every other day. Since digital media is increasing at a rapid pace, there has been a rise in the number of people going for mass media as a career choice. It is the most sought-after course for journalism and best suited for people with creative thinking. This course equips students with the ability to research information and present it creatively. Here are the BMM Course Details if you want to study more about getting your career started in the field of media.
BMM Full Form – “Bachelor of Mass Media”
- About BMM Course Details
- Eligibility Criteria for BMM Course
- BMM Course Admission Procedure
- BMM Course Structure
- BMM Course Subjects
- BMM Course Job Opportunities and Scope
- BMM Course Fee Structure
- Salary Offered to BMM Course Holders
- Can I do a PG course after doing a bachelor of mass media?
- What are some popular colleges offering admission for the BMM course with entrance exams?
- What are some top colleges in India for BMM?
- What is the highest package offered after completing the BMM course?
This 3-year course trains students to communicate effectively. It instills students to think uniquely. It helps students gain expertise in different areas of media. It teaches students through a creative approach toward mass media and journalism. This undergraduate course looks at different domains of media including advertising, television, newspaper, etc.
Media and Communication Course is the another best course which is similar to Bachelor of Mass Media Course.
Candidates applying for a BMM course should have cleared their 10+2 examinations with a minimum aggregate of 45%. They should have studied from a recognized board of education. Students from all the streams are eligible to apply.
The BMM course has two types of admission procedure; entrance and merit-based.
- Entrance Based: All interested candidates are required to give an entrance examination for admission. The format and eligibility criteria differ based on the institutions. The shortlisted candidates from this exam are then called for an interview and/ or a group discussion. Based on the results of both, a candidate gets admission in the college.
- Merit-Based: Marks obtained in 10+2 and certificates and mark sheets are required for merit-based admission. Once the college shortlisted students based on their mark sheet, they might have to appear for a personal interview and/or a group discussion. Based on the results, students get admission in the college.
This is a 3-year undergraduate course and spans over 6 semesters. It has both, theory and practical approach. The course also includes study tours and internships for students to ensure that students get hands-on industry experience.
Some of the subjects taught are effective communication, management, creative writing, radio & TV, and reporting.
Semester wise BMM Course Syllabus details are mentioned here.
- Semester 1
- Effective Communication Skills-I
- Fundamentals of Mass Communication
- Introduction to Sociology, The Sociology of News and Social Movements in India
- Landmark Events in 20th Century History of World & India
- Introduction to Economics
- Introduction to Computers
- Semester 2
- Introduction to Psychology
- Effective Communication Skills–II
- Principles of Management and Marketing
- An Introduction to Litterateurs
- Political Concepts and the Indian Political System
- Translation Skills
- Semester 3
- Introduction to Culture Studies
- Advanced Computers
- Introduction to Media Studies
- Understanding Cinema
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Introduction to Public Relations
- Semester 4 (Advertising)
- Brand Building
- Consumer Behaviour
- Advertising Design (Project Paper)
- Advertising in Contemporary Society
- Media Planning and Buying
- Semester 5 (Journalism)
- Feature and Opinion
- Indian Regional Journalism
- Newspaper – Magazine Making (Project Paper)
- Journalism and Public Opinion
- Semester 6 (Advertising)
- Legal Environment and Advertising Ethics
- The Principles and Practice of Direct Marketing
- Agency Management
- Financial Management for Marketing and Advertising
- Advertising and Marketing Research
- Contemporary Issues
- Semester 7 (Journalism)
- Business and Magazine Journalism
- Internet and Issues in the Global Media
- Broadcast Journalism
- News Media Management
- Contemporary Issues
- Press Law and Ethics
A student opting for the BMM course has ample amount of opportunities after graduation. The vast scope includes becoming a radio jockey, filmmaker, digital marketer, journalist, event manager, news reporter, columnist, etc. Scope in the field of television, public relations, advertising, and event management are opened for students.
The average course fees for the BMM course is estimated at INR. 60000- INR 2 Lakh per annum. However, the fees can vary depending on the institute or college. Other factors that influence the fees are location, rank, government aide, facilities, placements, or internships.
A graduate from a BMM Course can work in the field of advertising, newspaper, radio, publishing houses, broadcast agencies, and digital media firms amongst others. The companies that hire BMM graduates are AIR, Times Network, UTV, and Web media houses amongst others. Students can work as an editor, publisher, analyst, reporter, correspondent, and freelance writer after passing from BMM course.
The average BMM salary is between Rs 4 Lakhs per annum and Rs 10 Lakh per annum. The salary can increase after opting for advanced courses after BMM such as MA, MBA, and certificates, and a diploma in the same field.
FAQ’s on the BMM Course Details
Yes, one can do a PG in mass media. Some of the popular courses are MBA, Masters of Digital Media, Masters of Mass Media, and Masters of Journalism and Mass Communication.
St. Xavier’s, Sophia College, Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication, University of Mumbai, College are some popular colleges for the BMM course with entrance exams.
Lady Shri Ram (DU), Madras Christian College, St. Xavier’s, and Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication are the most known colleges for the BMM course.
The highest annual package offered is INR 7,50,000.