INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship 2020: The Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India (GOI), had begun the “Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE)” program in 2008. This Plan has been created to implement contractual research jobs to young achievers for autonomous research and appear as a leader in upcoming science and technology subjects. The official website is http://www.inspire-dst.gov.in.
Purpose of INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship
- To present engaging opportunities to young achievers for promoting independent scientific outlines and start them in accomplishing long term careers.
- They are expected to increase the high quality scientific workforce for scientific and educational institutions, especially the Central and State universities.
- While the vertical movement among students in several INSPIRE elements would be promoted, the Scheme would also allow students for parallel entry into this component.
- This part would present a career opportunity and not a guarantee for security positions after five years.
INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
- Citizens of India and Indian origin people including the NRI/PIO category with Ph.D. (in subjects such as science, maths, engineering, pharmacy, medicine, and agriculture) from any approved university in the world.
- Candidates, who have presented their Ph.D. Theses and are expecting an award of the order are also eligible.
- INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Age Limit: The upper age limitation at the time of granting the offer should be 32 years regarding support for five years.
- Applicants who are hired (in any manner i.e. permanent or in contract basis) with any company within India will be qualified to apply. Though, they will be counted only for the Research Grant part of the INSPIRE Faculty Award plan.
- An applicant who is among the top 1% at the School Leaving Exam, IIT-JEE rank holder, 1st Rank Holder in graduation or post-graduation level university exam are eligible. These are practiced presently for recognising INSPIRE Scholars at the undergraduate level and INSPIRE Fellows for the doctoral degree.
- Publications with whole Impact Factor 10 or at least three (one for Maths) research dissemination in SCI journals of high Impact Factor.
INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Application Form
- DST shall design a new Format for direct Application and Nomination in consultation with the Members of the Academy Panel.
- Both plans viz, Proposals from academic institutions or industry R&D by their vice-chancellors/ Directors of Institution/ Head of Institutions/ Presidents and candidates of Science Academies from India and Abroad/ Eminent Scientists based on peculiar knowledge and Direct Application from the Applicant shall be possible.
INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Selection Procedure
- INSA would be demanded to regulate the implementation of INSPIRE Faculty Scheme.
- An Apex Level Committee would be organised for necessary appraisal and tendering specific guidance on the selection of applicants.
- Institutions holding the situation of Centre of Excellence like IITs, IISc, TIFR, CSIR Laboratories etc. and Central & State Universities decided under the PURSE plan of DST could operate their internal methods and short-list applicants for installation under INSPIRE Faculty Scheme.
- INSA in discussion with DST would make a panel of Chairmen and Expert Members for multiple disciplines for Institutions to organise proper Appraisal and Screening Committees.
- Discipline-based committees for examining and screening the applicants who apply immediately or are specified without assistance from Host-Institutions.
- INSA in the conference with DST will develop an Apex Committee to reconsider the choice of many short-listed applicants.
- The candidate needs to get a suitable host institution wherever in India for seeking the INSPIRE Faculty task and may be in communication with a senior faculty/scientist in the host organisation to make the application in deliberation with him/her, if needed.
Number of Seats/Position Under INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship
- A maximum number of positions under the INSPIRE Faculty Scheme will be 1000 per year.
INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Duration and Rewards
- Each chosen INSPIRE Faculty shall be qualified to get a consolidated price equal to the measure of the Assistant Professor of an IIT as Fellowship amount. Besides, a Research Grant of Rs 7 lakh per year for five years shall also be given to each prosperous applicant.
- The INSPIRE Faculty post is for a maximum period of five years.
- If INSPIRE Faculty gets a permanent place during the occupancy of the position, the Fellowship sum will be discontinued from the date the INSPIRE Faculty meets in a permanent position, but he/she may proceed with the INSPIRE Faculty Scheme availing Research Grant share for the remainder period to research the new job.
- The INSPIRE Faculty is suitable for implementing for any competing awards from all funding companies during the occupancy of the INSPIRE Faculty post and would be favorably regarded by DST for future assistance at the end of 5 years based on appearance and technical merit.
Conditions of Shortlisting of Candidates
- The number of shortlisted applicants is completely based on the merit of the applicants. There are no boundaries to the number of applicants shortlisted from multiple channels or sub-disciplines falling under the main system.
- The committee may see for the prior academic record (achievement at HSc /BSc/MSc/DE/ME/M. Tech etc.) and the disclosure record of the applicants.
- The nature of the research project may be given due consideration. In specific, proof of independence in research may be examined in particular.
- The shortlisting group may give a letter Grade : (A) to candidates Shortlisted for Interview: Y/N.
INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Interview Procedure
- The Committee may impose the fundamental understanding of the applicant and whether he/she would be a great faculty material.
- In special, the explanation of the ability to carry out autonomous research may be completely assessed. The innovation of the research program may be carefully examined. The routine addition of Ph.D. research work may be controlled.
- While it is pleasing to have the host institute recognised at the time of the interview, this is NOT a necessity. The chosen applicant can always reach proper institutions.
- Resuming the work in the same place where candidate has done his/her PhD may be hindered.
- The Committee may provide due weightage to the report of advice from the supervisor.
- The applicants have been advised to perform their research projects in 15 minutes. Questions from the committee will follow this for about 15 minutes.
- The interviewing group may provide the Grade: Chosen for Inspire Faculty Plan: Y/N
Roles and Requirements of Host Institution
- Host organisations should be promoted to present a friendly atmosphere for the awardees to exceed in their work and should observe them as potential assets for faculty growth.
- INSPIRE Faculty post shall not be open for renewal after completion of 5 years term. Host-institutions are expected to examine “INSPIRE Faculty” for permanent jobs in the due program, subject to attending institutions’ execution assessment guidelines.
- In-breeding by host-institution is commonly not promoted. Though, if the host-institutions are ready to mention their Ph.D. students under this plan, specific justifications and commitment for the development of autonomous directions of research should be clearly described.
- Minimum knowledge/ commitment demands from Host Institutions are
- Introduction to all common infrastructural offices, adequate laboratory and office area ( individually or on shared basis), computing, library access, etc.,
- Knowledge on whether acceptable new areas/directions of research are being offered through this plan
- Knowledge on whether the INSPIRE Faculty will be permitted to conduct Ph.D. students, select research fellows, individually or jointly with a perpetual faculty member.
FAQ’s on INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship
What is the INSPIRE faculty fellowship?
INSPIRE faculty fellowship has been created to implement contractual research jobs to young achievers for autonomous research and appear as a leader in upcoming science and technology subjects.
Who conducts this fellowship?
The Department of Science and Technology, Government of India (GOI), had begun the “Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE)” program in 2008.
What is the purpose of this fellowship?
To present engaging opportunities to young achievers for promoting independent scientific outlines and start them in accomplishing long term careers.
What are the eligibility criteria to apply for a fellowship?
- Citizens of India
- Candidates, who have presented their Ph.D. Theses.
- The upper age limitation at the time of granting the offer should be 32 years.
- Applicants who are hired with any company within India will be qualified to apply.