Computer Engineering Courses after 12th: The Information Technology industry, most fondly known as the IT industry, in its mammoth size, is one of the largest contributors to India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth. There are hundreds of multinational IT companies and homegrown companies in India that give head-on competition to various sectors in the United States of America or the European giants.
Right from TCS to Infosys, there are many more companies that have annual revenues larger than much smaller European and Asian countries. In this particular article on computer science engineering courses after 12th, we have mentioned a few top computer science engineering courses after 12th that a student can pursue to get into the evergreen IT industry of the country and make their career a fruitful one. The topics covered in this article are given below:
About Computer Engineering Courses after 12th
Before jumping right into the details of the course, let us briefly understand why computer science engineering courses can be really helpful for your career development.
India produces millions of software engineers every year, much more than what developed nations produce, and this competitive edge that our country has makes it stand out from other service-based countries such as China, Japan, Indonesia, and Bangladesh.
With such a positive scenario in the IT sector, it becomes a kind of obvious that education in the fields of information technology and computer science is also blooming. The job market or the industry trend is directly proportional to academic growth or vice versa, and it is nothing but the truth in the case of the boom of computer science engineering courses in India.
Importance of Computer Science Engineering Course in India
The importance of computer science engineering courses in India is given below:
- Job Stability: Although one might hear the news of IT companies downsizing their employees in large numbers occasionally, the general purview is that the IT industry is one of the most stable industries in India along with pharmaceuticals and retail. And a stable industry is always a good option to get into if one needs to have a stable career without the problem of losing his or her job.
- Huge Job Market: The job market in the information technology field is huge, and there is no dearth of jobs in the computer science and software fields. This is one of the main reasons why millions of students opt for computer science engineering courses after their 12th standard, so they can get a job easily at a very early stage in their career.
- Good Career Growth: Both with regards to exposure to different technologies as well as good financial stability, a student in the fields of counter science and software engineering will have a good career progression in sync with their counterparts in developed countries such as the United States of America, Japan, Australia, or France.
Now that we have understood the importance of the IT industry in India and hence the computer science and software engineering courses in the country, let us get into the details of the top 3 courses in computer science engineering that a student can pursue after his or her 12th standard.
The list of computer science engineering courses after Class 12 is given below:
1. Bachelor’s in Engineering (B.E)
A Bachelor’s in Engineering (B.E) or Bachelor’s in Technology (B.Tech) is a 4-year degree course that students can pursue after passing their 12th standard examination. Below we have provided the details of the course of B.E or B.Tech in brief.
B.E. and B.Tech Computer Science Engineering Course Details
- A Bachelor’s in Engineering is a 4-year course with different subjects spread across 8 semesters. Each semester spans a period of approximately 4 to 6 months.
- The course is designed for the evaluation of internal assessments, external exams, laboratory, and practical examinations, along with project work and internship programs. Students are evaluated on all the parameters along with classroom participation in certain universities, and finally, students who have scored the required cut-offs will be awarded the degree.
- The fees for this course will be no more than Rs. 4L for the entire course in a private college and not more than Rs. 1.5L for the entire course in a government college.
- Many universities offer on-campus placement assistance to students to jump-start their careers.
Which Are the Subjects Thought in Bachelors of Computer Engineering?
The following are some of the most common subjects thought to be taken by students in Bachelors of Engineering in the field of Computer Science:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Management of Data Bases
- Machine Learning
- React JS
- Computer Fundamentals
- Computer Languages
- English and communication
- Cloud Computing
- Discrete Mathematics
- Software Engineering
- Development Operations
- Design and Basics of Algorithms
- Multi-Device Programming
Top Colleges To Pursue a B.E in Computer Science Engineering
Below are the top colleges in India that offer B.E or B.Tech in computer science:
- The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- The Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- The Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- National Institute of Technology, Trichy
- National Institute of Technology, Karnataka
- Rashtriya Vidyalaya College of Engineering, Bengaluru
- College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai
- Visvesvaraya College of Engineering, Bengaluru
- The Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
- BITS Pilani
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- Delhi University, Delhi
Some of the top colleges for B.E abroad are:
- The Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- The University of Michigan
- The University of Pennsylvania
- Oxford University
- Peking University, China
- The University of London
- Texas A&M University
Do Read: Computer Science Courses After 12th
2. Diploma in Computer Science Engineering
A diploma in Computer Science Engineering is a three-year diploma-level course that is offered to students who want to become computer science engineers or software engineers by many universities across the country. A diploma in Computer Science Engineering can be considered as an alternative option to a bachelor’s in Computer Science Engineering.
Hence, to have a proper idea, the below pointers will help one understand the basic differences between diplomas and bachelor’s degrees in computer science engineering.
Difference Between Diploma in Computer Science Engineering and Bachelor’s in Computer Science Engineering
The difference between computer science engineering in Diploma and in bachelor are given below:
- A diploma course is a three-year course, while a bachelor’s degree will take four years for students to complete. A diploma has a clear advantage here in comparison with a B.E or B. Tech degree since students can get into the job market and get hands-on experience earlier after a diploma course.
- Students who have pursued a diploma after their 12th standard can get a lateral entry into the B.E course directly into the 3rd-year course. But the other way round is not possible.
Diploma in Computer Engineering Course Details
- The course spans a period of 3 years. Certain colleges offer semester-wise programmes while a few other colleges in India offer trimester-wise diploma programs.
- Students can get a seat in any of the diploma colleges in India for a computer science engineering course after passing their 12th standard examination. There is no such competitive examination that a student has to give to get into the diploma course, unlike a bachelor’s degree where students give entrance examinations such as CET, IIT JEE, etc.
- Students will have exams at the end of each semester.
- Candidates should hold optional internship experience as part of academics.
- Students will have final year group projects evaluated for the final awarding of the diploma.
- Average fees will be no more than Rs.1 lakh for the entire three-year course across both private and public institutions in India.
Which are the Different Subjects in the Computer Science Engineering Diploma Course?
The following are some of the most common subjects thought to be for students of the Diploma in Computer Science Engineering:
- The basics of computers and languages
- Data Base Management and Systems
- Software engineering and its fundamentals
- Development Operations and Principles
- Engineering Mathematics
- Applied Sciences
- Engineering Mathematics
- Concepts in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Digital and computer fundamentals
- Multimedia lab
- Basic web design lab
- Programming with C
- Network Administration
- Data Structures
- OOPS with Java.
- Linux Lab
- Web programming
- Software Testing
- Information Storage and Management.
- Green computing
- Network Security and Management.
- The Fundamentals of Network Security
- Computer Networks
Top Recruiters for the Diploma holders in Computer Science Engineering
The top ten Indian companies which offer higher salaries for diploma in computer science engineering graduates are given below:
- Infosys Technologies
- Tata Consultancy Services Limited
- Accenture Limited
- Subex Technologies
- HCL Technologies
- Tesla Motors
- Larsen and Toubro Technology Limited.
- MindTree Technologies
- Innovative Technologies
Jobs After a Diploma Courses in Computer Engineering
The following are some of the job roles that one might get after getting placed in a college during the final year placements of a diploma in computer science engineering:
- Technical trainee
- Front-end developer, junior
- Backend developer
- Backend Executive
- Executive in technical marketing
- Management trainee
- engineering trainee
In addition to these, if one aims to study further after a diploma in computer science engineering instead of working, then one can pursue degree courses or other online and offline certification courses to up-skill oneself and improve their curriculum vitae.
3. Bachelor’s in Computer Applications (BCA)
Students also have a chance to enroll in Computer Science Engineering if they are pursuing BCA.
Bachelor in Computer Applications is a course offered by many public and private universities in India that focuses on computer applications such as software, hardware, and computer languages. In this section on bachelor in computer applications, or BCA, as an option for computer engineering courses after 12th grade, we will provide a brief overview and course details to assist students in making an informed decision in the field of computer science engineering.
Courses Details of Bachelor’s in Computer Applications (BCA)
- A bachelor’s degree in computer applications (BCA) is a three-year programme that trains students in hardware, software, and computer languages.
- The Bachelor of Science in Computer Applications is a less difficult course than its engineering counterparts because it focuses less on subjects like science and mathematics.
- The average fee structure for bachelors in computer applications will not exceed Rs. 100,000 for the entire course in any of the private as well as government colleges in the country.
- The main advantages for students to opt for a bachelor’s in computer applications (BCA) instead of a bachelor’s in engineering is the high return on investment and short duration of the course that will give students a head start in their career in relation to B.E or M.E.
- Since India is a highly IT and tech-driven economy, there are plenty of information technology companies and the IT sector is one of the largest employers in the country. Companies such as Infosys, Tata Consultancy Services, IBM, etc. hire students from BCA as well as engineering courses.
- However, the average pay package of BCA graduates will comparatively be less than that of their engineering counterparts, and that is an advantage for many multinational IT companies for cost-effective labor.
Career Prospects After Completing a Bachelor’s in Computer Applications (BCA)
- The ROI for BCA in India is more than 1 since many tech companies offer higher pay packages for freshers than the fee for the course. This is not necessarily true in the case of B.E or a Diploma course.
- In the beginning, one might get a job that pays them Rs. 3 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh per annum, and the career progression from here on will be steady and fast.
- The design of a bachelor in computer application course is such that graduates of this course can work in any industry, including but not limited to the IT industry. Almost all industries in India are aiming for automation and data relevant to business analytics, such as the pharmaceutical sector, the automobile sector, the FMCG sector, and the retail sector. Most of these industries need people with good knowledge and hands-on experience in software and hardware areas.
While we might have mentioned only a few of the computer engineering courses after the 12th standard, there are plenty of certification courses and online courses that students can pursue after the 12th standard other than the bachelor of engineering, diploma, or BCA and upskill themselves in this ever-growing field.
FAQs on Computer Engineering Courses after 12th
The frequently asked questions on Computer Science Engineering Courses after Class 12 are given below:
1. Which is the most popular computer engineering course after the 12th?
Answer: Bachelor’s in Engineering (B.E) is the most popular course in engineering after 12th standard in India.
2. Which is the top college in India for computer engineering?
Answer: The Indian Institute of Technology Powai is considered the top college in the country for computer science engineering, while the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is known as the top college in the world for this course.
3. Is a diploma in computer engineering worth it?
Answer: On the basis of ROI and the length of the course, a diploma in computer science engineering is a good start to get into the field of IT and computers.
We would like to conclude this article by saying that computer science as a field of study is highly lucrative and is going to give a good return on investment to students. While different courses in Computer Engineering have their own pros and cons, at the end of the day, one’s career depends on his or her competency and interest in the area of specialization.
For more details on computer engineering courses after 12th and other course details, please visit the Ncertbooks.Guru and get all the latest updates on career and courses.