How to become a Genetic Engineer in India: A Genetic Engineer has a huge impact on society. We can expect the demand for genetic engineers in India as the research is improving day by day. Selecting the job as a genetic engineer is different from all other jobs. Genetic Engineering is related to research and experiments on microorganisms. Get the details on Genetic Engineering Courses In India like course details, eligibility criteria, books and study material, job roles, salary, etc from here.
A genetic engineer is one who works on research and experiments. It is also called genetic modification or genetic manipulation that works on microorganisms. The duty of a genetic engineer is to cure genetic disorders. They are connected in different fields like medicine, biotechnology, agriculture, healthcare, and research. It is the study of genes and DNA in living organisms.
Eligibility to become a Genetic Engineer | Educational Qualifications to become Genetic Engineer in India
- Candidates who wish to become a genetic engineer must have 10+2 in MBiPC with an aggregate of a minimum of 60% from any recognized board of exams.
- Must have cleared entrance exams with a good score.
- The candidate must have completed a bachelor’s degree in genetic engineering from any recognized university or institution.
Genetic Engineer Course Details
|B.Sc in Genetic Engineering
|B. E/B.Tech in Genetic Engineering
|M.Sc in Genetic Engineering
|M.Tech in Genetic Engineering
|Ph.D. in Genetic Engineering
Entrance Exams for Genetic Engineering
- JEE Main
- CEE AMPAI
- JEE Advanced
- Amity JEE
- Banashali University Aptitude test
What are the subjects to study in Genetic Engineering Course?
- Mathematics 1
- Basic Engineering 1
- Mathematics 1
- Material Science
- Principles of Environmental Science
- Basic Engineering 2
- Cell Biology
- Value Education
- Enzyme Technology
- Genetics & Cytogenetics
- Mechanical Operations & heat Transfer
- German Language Phase 1/French Language Phase 1/Japanese Language Phase 1
- Computer Skills
- Basic Molecular Techniques
- Molecular Biology
- Bio-press Principles
- Stoichiometry and Engineering Thermodynamics
- German Language Phase 2/Japanese Language Phase 2/French Language Phase 2
- Advanced Molecular Techniques
- Functional Genomics and Microarray Technology
- Momentum Transfer
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Plant Tissue Culture and Transgenic Technology
- Personality Development
- Recombinant DNA Technology
- Gene Therapy
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Biosensors and Biochips
- Bio-separation Technology
- Animal Cell Culture and Transgenic Technology
- Nano-biotechnology in Healthcare
- Stem Cell Biology
- Project Work
- Bio-Safety, Bio-ethics, IPR & Patients
Top Colleges for Genetic Engineering Course
- University of Delhi
- University of Kolkata
- Punjab Agricultural University
- SRM University
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Banaras Hindu University
- IIT Biotechnology departments
- NII, Delhi
- The Institute of Genomic and Integrative Biology, Delhi
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
B.Tech Genetical Engineering:
- Delhi Technological University
- Aryabhatta Knowledge University, Patna
- SRM University, Chennai
- Bharat University, Chennai
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
Research in Genetic Engineering:
- IIT Biotechnology departments
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore
- National Institute of Immunology (NII), Delhi
- The Institute of Genomic and Integrative Biology (IGIB), Delhi
- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), New Delhi
- Bcs-Insilico Biology, Lucknow
- Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology (RGCB), Thiruvananthapuram
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore
- Puna University
- Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
Get to know about different course details belonging to different streams all under one place and choose the right course for you.
Skills Required to become Genetic Engineer
Some of the skills required to become a successful genetic engineer is given below,
- Knowledge of Computer-Aided Design (CAD) tool
- Graphics or photo imaging
- Communication skills
- Comprehension skills
- Reasoning, reading, and writing
- Management skills
Job Roles of a Genetic Engineer
There are different job roles of a genetic engineer.
- Genetic Engineer: He/she must have knowledge of engineering, biomechanical principles to design, development such as artificial organs, instrumentation, medical information systems, healthcare, and management.
- Professor/Lecturer: They can teach the undergraduate level students in different locations and examine from time to time by the head of the department.
- Research Scientist: The research scientists are responsible for analyzing information from lab-based investigations, designing, experiments and test runs, etc.
- Scientific/Medical Writer: They are responsible for research scientific paper publications.
Responsibilities of a Genetic Engineer in India
The duties and responsibilities of a genetic engineer in India are as shown below,
- Initiating new research at a senior level
- Recording their procedures and results
- Excerpting DNA or performing analytic tests
- Governing lab research and trials
- Checking lab results
- Supervising scientists, specialists
- Communicating consequences of discoveries
Recruiting Sectors for Genetic Engineers
There are different recruiting sectors for genetic engineers in India. They are as follows,
- Research Centres
- Government Agencies
- Pharmaceutical Companies
Pay Scale for Genetic Engineer in India
||Pay Scale per annum
||Rs. 3.5 lakhs to 5 lakhs
||Rs. 6 to 9 lakhs
||Rs. 15 to 16 lakhs
Study Material for Genetic Engineer
- Genetic Engineering by Jane K.Setlow
- Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering by Lisa Yount
- Genetic Engineering by P.S Verma P.S, V.K Agarwal V.K
- An Introduction to Genetic Engineering by Desmond S.T Nichol
- Genetic Engineering by Smita Rastogi, Neelam Pathak
Pros & Cons to become a Genetic Engineer
- They play a major role to prevent genetic diseases in humans.
- Helps in treating the novel diseases caused by microorganisms.
- Research and experiments must be carried out cautiously.
- Risk of negative impact on work.
FAQs Related to Genetic Engineering in India
How do I become a genetic engineer?
The candidates who wish to become a genetic engineer must have completed a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, biophysics, molecular biology, or molecular genetics.
How can I do Genetic Engineering in India?
Students who are planning to become genetic engineering in India must have passed the 12th class in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
Which entrance exam is for genetic engineering?
JEE is one of the most common entrances to get admissions in engineering courses all over India.
I think the information about how to become a genetic engineer in India is helpful for you. Stay tuned to our page for more updates regarding the engineering jobs. Feel free to ask your doubts in the below-provided comment section.